Bengals to release LT Cordy Glenn if a trade cannot be made

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You are refusing any player that missed time in 2019?  Glenn played in 6 games.  He played a quarter of the season.

Any player that missed the majority of their season. We are in no position for reclamation projects.

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

He has a concussion problem.  The bengals know it and are trying to get rid of him

Actually, the Bengals don't know it.  That is what he was disputing with them.  We are probably not the place for him after the Osemele mess, but still...

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

Any player that missed the majority of their season. We are in no position for reclamation projects.

The entire NFL is in a position for reclamation projects.  Us more than most.  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, the Bengals don't know it.  That is what he was disputing with them.  We are probably not the place for him after the Osemele mess, but still...

The entire NFL is in a position for reclamation projects.  Us more than most.  

The bengals trust Jonah and his glass shoulder over Corey Glenn.  They know he has a medical issue

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I’d do it why not plug him in at RT if he can be had for a 5th or later 

Thing is he only has 1 contract year remaining. Yes it’s at (by today’s standards) a friendly figure of $9.5MM, but I don’t think this team is in a position to fork over draft picks for an unreliable player who’d be a UFA a year later unless we pay 2021 new-CBA market rates.

If he was released then maybe I’d look at him as a FA with heavy incentives, as this is an unusually bad off-season to be an injury prone tackle with others available in FA followed by a deep draft. Like $6MM base with incentives for starting 13 and 16 games, but even in typing this I find it ridiculous that merely missing 3 games should be considered a huge win for this fat bastard. 

But as things are now, with 1 year remaining for a guy who started & finished 4 games last year, 12 the year before that, and 2 the year before that? No, I’m not liking the idea of giving up any pick for him. Not even our 6th rounder (unless it’s a 2021 5th-6th round pick, and he has to be on our 2021 roster on April 1st for us to cough that up). 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Thing is he only has 1 contract year remaining. Yes it’s at (by today’s standards) a friendly figure of $9.5MM, but I don’t think this team is in a position to fork over draft picks for an unreliable player who’d be a UFA a year later unless we pay 2021 new-CBA market rates.

If he was released then maybe I’d look at him as a FA with heavy incentives, as this is an unusually bad off-season to be an injury prone tackle with others available in FA followed by a deep draft. Like $6MM base with incentives for starting 13 and 16 games, but even in typing this I find it ridiculous that merely missing 3 games should be considered a huge win for this fat bastard. 

But as things are now, with 1 year remaining for a guy who started & finished 4 games last year, 12 the year before that, and 2 the year before that? No, I’m not liking the idea of giving up any pick for him. Not even our 6th rounder (unless it’s a 2021 5th-6th round pick, and he has to be on our 2021 roster on April 1st for us to cough that up). 

I don’t value late round picks as much tbh. If I can trade a 5th or later for a guy who’s been a proven good player, I’d take that risk over a late round pick   

6 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I don’t value late round picks as much tbh. If I can trade a 5th or later for a guy who’s been a proven good player, I’d take that risk over a late round pick   

Generally I’d agree, except he’s started and finished 18 games over the last 3 years. They might be better off not penciling him in outright.

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s raining offensive tackles ️ 

In 2018, the Bengals traded a 1st and 5th round draft choices for 28 year old left tackle Cordy Glenn. Two years later, the now 30 year old 6’6 345lbs left tackle is poised to hit the market.   He can be had via trade with the Bengals or one can hope he clears the trade talks and hits free agency.   The Bengals can free up $9.5 million if they trade him and $7.5 if they release him.

Glenn missed most of last season after suffering a concussion and a dispute with the team upon his return from concussion protocol.   If a team trades for Glenn, they will likely want to extend his deal which has 1 year remaining.   It’s unclear what the Bengals want in return for Glenn.

Dispute with the team seems scary to me. No thanks rather just draft three guys

Assuming he is healthy, of which I have no idea, I wouldn't mind taking a look. I think he would benefit from a move to RT. I also do not like the idea of playing two young OTs next season. I would prefer a veteran and a high draft pick if possible. There are several other veteran options at OT. We need an overhaul at O-Line. I don't want to categorically close the door on any options before necessary.

33 minutes ago, AFerg726 said:

Assuming he is healthy, of which I have no idea, I wouldn't mind taking a look. I think he would benefit from a move to RT. I also do not like the idea of playing two young OTs next season. I would prefer a veteran and a high draft pick if possible. There are several other veteran options at OT. We need an overhaul at O-Line. I don't want to categorically close the door on any options before necessary.

Like others have said, we don't need pro bowlers at every position on the Oline. We just need solid guys that can play together. Mix of veterans & youth is what JD will try to accomplish. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/03/13/bengals-release-offensive-tackle-cordy-glenn-per-report/5044010002/

Unable to find a trade partner, the Cincinnati Bengals released offensive tackle Cordy Glenn on Friday, according to the team's official website.

A report on the Bengals' website last month indicated that it was believed the Bengals would move on from Glenn.

Glenn, 30, had another year left on his deal, but letting him gave the Bengals a cap savings of $9.5 million.

The Buffalo Bills traded Glenn to the Bengals in March 2018. In May 2019, Glenn moved to guard to make way for then-rookie Jonah Williams before an injury kept Williams out for the season.

In October, the Bengals suspended Glenn for one game for "internal disciplinary reasons" and fined him $200,000. Glenn had spent several weeks in concussion protocol, and he and the Bengals reportedly were at odds over his symptoms and potential return.

Glenn played in six games last season for the Bengals - starting five of them - after playing 13 games for the team during the 2018 season.

The Bengals' offensive line could feature an Opening Day lineup of Jonah Williams, Michael Jordan, Trey Hopkins, John Miller and Bobby Hart, though offensive coordinator Brian Callahan is looking at upgrading the offensive line, according to a report from Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 3/11/2020 at 12:12 PM, peekskill68 said:

Is he better than Beachum?

This is a great question.  I would like to go into the season with a veteran tackle that could play either spot. 

I would be taking a tackle at 11 in the draft no matter what.  I would like to pair whoever that is with a veteran swing tackle at around the 2yr/$10 million per year range.  

I would further improve the line via FA and draft but this would lock in my starting tackles.  Protecting Darnold is the #1 priority.  

On 3/11/2020 at 1:12 PM, peekskill68 said:

Is he better than Beachum?

They are comparable players.  But Beachum has played 45 games in the last 3 seasons, Glenn has played 23.  If we whiff on top OTs in FA, I would not mind a guy like that who can hold the fort for a year or so if we have to pick a developmental prospect.  

Would rather it be Beachum though, given Glenn's injury history.

Peters or trade for T.Williams, draft Wills or Wirfs, put them at Guard, trade Cordy Glenn, put him at RT, draft the best Center available with the 1st third, and BOOM, SHACKALACKA!!!
I'd rather have Peters/ Williams + Glenn than a 4th & 5th rounder. We can pick a couple more development Oline in 2021 too. If we got a future LT & Center in this upcoming draft & had a couple hold the fort guys, I'd be excited to see what Sam Darnold could do with a bit more time & a decent ripening game. 

That’s a scary plan. Halfway through the season both Williams and Glenn would most likely be in and out of the lineup. That’s if they make it through training camp and preseason.

I want nothing to do with these guys other than to battle for a starting position with Edoga on the right and Thomas/Wirfs/wills/jones on the left. The problem is if we give Williams the $$$ and spend draft picks we will essentially have to write him in as the starter which lessens our potential to take blue chip LT in the 1st. I don’t want that. I don’t want an illusion that our OL is fixed by signing guys who are old and perpetually injured. Especially when they are high priced. Ya know?

Peters is a good idea to start the season while the rookie comes of age. That would be a strong move.

Beachum is not on the 2020 roster.
The Jets have had over a year to extend Beachum, Jenkins and Robbie, and the entire off season thus far to extend Poole.
Either the Jets are not offering, and players are not signing.  

And he won’t be. Remember that tweet during the supper bowl about it being nice to have a real offensive game plan or something like that? Beachum is a goner.

24 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That’s a scary plan. Halfway through the season both Williams and Glenn would most likely be in and out of the lineup. That’s if they make it through training camp and preseason.

I want nothing to do with these guys other than to battle for a starting position with Edoga on the right and Thomas/Wirfs/wills/jones on the left. The problem is if we give Williams the $$$ and spend draft picks we will essentially have to write him in as the starter which lessens our potential to take blue chip LT in the 1st. I don’t want that. I don’t want an illusion that our OL is fixed by signing guys who are old and perpetually injured. Especially when they are high priced. Ya know?

Peters is a good idea to start the season while the rookie comes of age. That would be a strong move.

Sign Peters to a one year deal and trade a 6th to philly for Jeffery.  Trade Adams for a 1st

Draft Wills at 11 and Ruggs later in rd 1

Sign Peters to a one year deal and trade a 6th to philly for Jeffery.  Trade Adams for a 1st

Draft Wills at 11 and Ruggs later in rd 1

Jefferey is toast. Really expensive toast. Don’t want him.

Adams isn’t going anywhere.

The rest is fine.