NBA suspends the season until further notice

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Ok, if this is no more dangerous than the flu, why did we just suspend travel from europe for 30 days, why is Italy making it mandatory  that all stores except food and pharmacies  be closed, why is there a whole town in New Rochelle quarnatined, why is the NCAA banning fans from March Madness,  why did the NBA just suspend the season  because this is just the flu, why did the CDC just declare a pandemic? 

I give up. Tell us.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Too late for Vegas to pull the bets, I’d imagine 

This halfway stuff isn’t doing any favors. It’s either suspended or it’s not. Time to panic! First let’s shoehorn in this Zion game at 10:30 on ESPN!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I just noticed something. Do you realize you and I are the only two people who have brought up the NBA since the OP?

Apparently nobody even cares their season had even started, much less shut down besides us...

Yeah, there’s probably a good % of guys here who don’t even watch basketball. The NBA section of JN is always dead. I venture to assume most NY sport fans aren’t too enthused about picking from the Brooklyn Nets or the New York Knicks. Personally, I love the sport but I also got into it about 6 years ago so it’s still new and shiny to me in some regard.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

This halfway stuff isn’t doing any favors. It’s either suspended or it’s not. Time to panic! First let’s shoehorn in this Zion game at 10:30.

Agreed. I work in a Broadway-adjacent industry and all the producers and unions want to pull the plug until this blows over, but they need Cuomo to declare an emergency first so they can collect on the insurance before shutting down. Until they get paid out, they don’t care who gets sick. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, there’s probably a good % of guys here who don’t even watch basketball. The NBA section of JN is always dead. I venture to assume most NY sport fans aren’t too enthused about picking from the Brooklyn Nets or the New York Knicks. Personally, I love the sport but I also got into it about 6 years ago so it’s still new and shiny to me in some regard.

There are a lot of Knicks fans on here, but Dolan has absolutely murdered any shred of enthusiasm in the team and has squandered entire generations of fans. Personally, I’m a Nets fan and I’ll check back in when they get rid of Kyrie. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

I really like Basketball also. I love watching great players. It's  probably the most athletic sport there is. You jave guys that can do amazing things with a ball bit being a Knicks fan, even though they are looking better as of late, it's  hard to get excited

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Raideraholic said:

Not only we going to have a football season , but an NFL draft.  This wuhanvirus  is lasting a couple more weeks.    So you can stop hoarding the toilet paper.

Putnam Community Hospital is an absolute sh*thole and you’re going to pay the price for this post, and for thinking Gareon Conley was a good CB

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

There are a lot of Knicks fans on here, but Dolan has absolutely murdered any shred of enthusiasm in the team and has squandered entire generations of fans. Personally, I’m a Nets fan and I’ll check back in when they get rid of Kyrie. 

Kyrie is an overrated drama queen who’s previous teams always look better without him. KD should work out until he’s ready to leave though (only came because of Kyrie). I really think the Nets have something decent in Spencer D and Caris LeVert. They should let the younger guys have the spotlight.

42 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

There won't  be a vaccine  by the time camp opens. There are already some sports players whi tested positive for this. Tom Hanks has it. 

Dude, they aren't waiting for a vaccine. Thats many months away. Let's all stop everything because Tom Hanks got it. lol

4 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

There are no sure 'cures' for viruses once contracted (some anti-virals meds may or may not work..don't know yet), perhaps a specific vaccine in the future.  No one 'wants' a virus where people need to be quarantined.  14 days is most definitely overkill, but until this novel virus and it's infection pattern is delineated, it is wise to overshoot.

My take? Other than the 'usual' precautions?

If you are elderly, immunosuppressed, or have significant co-morbidities (COPD, arterial disease, renal disease etc), I'd avoid most community interactions till this passes and just stay close to home.  If I had a relative in a 'confined' environment like a nursing facility that I could take in for awhile and care for, I'd seriously consider it.  If I managed a nursing facility, I'd shut out all visitors for a month if I was able to.  This virus kills the elderly and infirmed at rates much higher than the general population...efforts should be directed to protect them first and foremost.  Young people seem to have minimal symptoms, so even if your kid has what appears to be a common cold, I wouldn't take them to see grandma and Grandpa this weekend.

The virus is here and it's contagious..you aren't going to stop it spreading, hopefully you can limit it's spread is the best you can do.

Another thing...the true reported 'death rate' or CFR (case fatality rate) will continue to decline as more people are tested and non-lethal cases are counted; it's easy to count 'dead people' (the numerator), not so easy to count the total number of people infected (the denominator).

Half of all Americans do not get the flu shot and the flu does not have an inconsequential CFR...yet everyone seems to be losing their collective sh*t over the Wuhan virus, perhaps because it is 'novel' and unknown?

Maybe because the flu and covid 19 have little to nothing in common.  I’m glad you aren’t my doctor.  What a crock.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Kyrie is an overrated drama queen who’s previous teams always look better without him. KD should work out until he’s ready to leave though (only came because of Kyrie). I really think the Nets have something decent in Spencer D and Caris LeVert. They should let the younger guys have the spotlight.

Hate that douche.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

There are no sure 'cures' for viruses once contracted (some anti-virals meds may or may not work..don't know yet), perhaps a specific vaccine in the future.  No one 'wants' a virus where people need to be quarantined.  14 days is most definitely overkill, but until this novel virus and it's infection pattern is delineated, it is wise to overshoot.

If you are elderly, immunosuppressed, or have significant co-morbidities (COPD, arterial disease, renal disease etc), I'd avoid most community interactions till this passes and just stay close to home.  If I had a relative in a 'confined' environment like a nursing facility that I could take in for awhile and care for, I'd seriously consider it.  If I managed a nursing facility, I'd shut out all visitors for a month if I was able to.  This virus kills the elderly and infirmed at rates much higher than the general population...efforts should be directed to protect them first and foremost.  Young people seem to have minimal symptoms, so even if your kid has what appears to be a common cold, I wouldn't take them to see grandma and Grandpa this weekend.

The virus is here and it's contagious..you aren't going to stop it spreading, hopefully you can limit it's spread is the best you can do.

Another thing...the true reported 'death rate' or CFR (case fatality rate) will continue to decline as more people are tested and non-lethal cases are counted; it's easy to count 'dead people' (the numerator), not so easy to count the total number of people infected (the denominator).

Half of all Americans do not get the flu shot and the flu does not have an inconsequential CFR...yet everyone seems to be losing their collective sh*t over the Wuhan virus, perhaps because it is 'novel' and unknown?

I think it's  because if ypu get it, you are going onto quarantine  for 2 weeks. That isn't  normal for the flu. 

7 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

You should have done the speech tonight..  this is much better than what I heard.

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think it's  because if ypu get it, you are going onto quarantine  for 2 weeks. That isn't  normal for the flu. 

Its funny because 2 weeks isn’t even enough.  Research shows that you can be contagious within an hour of exposure, and as long as 28 days later.

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, if this is no more dangerous than the flu, why did we just suspend travel from europe for 30 days, why is Italy making it mandatory  that all stores except food and pharmacies  be closed, why is there a whole town in New Rochelle quarnatined, why is the NCAA banning fans from March Madness,  why did the NBA just suspend the season  because this is just the flu, why did the CDC just declare a pandemic? 

Really?

Panic is bad, and often leads to stupid decisions.  Look at the stock market. 

They reason they don't call the 'flu' a pandemic every year, is because it's not 'new'.  COVID-19 is a 'new' SARS type virus, hence the designation of 'pandemic'.  

'Pandemic' only means it's a new illness/virus with significant worldwide spread...has nothing to do with it's results.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It doesn’t seem like saying “the flu kills people too” is something you’d want to hear from your doctor. If the point is that the mortality rates for the flu and Coronavirus are similar, it’s like saying “the good news is that most people who get hit by cars don’t die, but the bad news is that 60% of you are going to get hit by cars in the next month.” Like, thanks doc.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

They have quite a lot of common. 

Not really at all.  I guess as much as they are both viruses.  Thats about it.  I’m surprised more people aren’t discussing the long term post sickness syndrome that may be associated with it.