NBA suspends the season until further notice

8 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Maybe because the flu and covid 19 have little to nothing in common.  I’m glad you aren’t my doctor.  What a crock.

Ok youre really putting it out there assuming he really is a doctor. 
he gave sound advice.

so how are they NOT alike? Your either a bumbling paranoid idiot or the sharpest dude on earth.

please elaborate. Im seriously interested in what your take is 

20 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Not only we going to have a football season , but an NFL draft.  This wuhanvirus  is lasting a couple more weeks.    So you can stop hoarding the toilet paper.

Ok now I'm REALLY nervous about this getting worse. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Really?

Panic is bad, and often leads to stupid decisions.  Look at the stock market. 

They reason they don't call the 'flu' a pandemic every year, is because it's not 'new'.  COVID-19 is a 'new' SARS type virus, hence the designation of 'pandemic'.  

'Pandemic' only means it's a new illness/virus with significant worldwide spread...has nothing to do with it's results.

Wait, you actually didn't  know everything in thebpost you quoted had happened or was that sarcasam. I know what a pandemic is. Basically it's  not a good thing. There are also real economic consequences to this. We can pretty much tear up that trade deal we just signed with China. The market went up because of that so now it is going the opposite way. Maybe if we could also get messaging right it would help. The President  just corrected two points in the speech he just gave. Now just foriegn nationals will be banned from travel and only people, not cargo would be banned. 

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Ok youre really putting it out there assuming he really is a doctor. 
he gave sound advice.

so how are they NOT alike? Your either a bumbling paranoid idiot or the sharpest dude on earth.

please elaborate. Im seriously interested in what your take is 

Is it really that difficult to understand?  There is a lot of research out there to be read if you are at all interested.

Do you (or anyone) consider sars and mers, which are the coronavirus’ closest relatives to be anything like the flu?  

I get it, the flu is an easy comparison, but its not a good one.  

and, no, I’m not paranoid.  I am realistic.  I know that I am going to get it, just as most everyone will.  Not much any of us can really do about it.

5 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Not really at all.  I guess as much as they are both viruses.  Thats about it.  I’m surprised more people aren’t discussing the long term post sickness syndrome that may be associated with it.

How could we be discussing but long-term effect or something that’s just happening?

From John Hopkins medical website.

Similarities: COVID-19 and the Flu

Symptoms

• Both cause fever, cough, body aches, fatigue; sometimes vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Can be mild or severe, even fatal in rare cases.
  • Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

• Both can be spread from person to person through droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing or talking.
  • A possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route (see details below under Differences).
  • Flu can be spread by an infected person for several days before their symptoms appear, and COVID-19 is believed to be spread in the same manner, but we don’t yet know for sure.

Treatment

• Neither virus is treatable with antibiotics, which only work on bacterial infections.
  • Both may be treated by addressing symptoms, such as reducing fever. Severe cases may require hospitalization and support such as mechanical ventilation.

Prevention

Both may be prevented by frequent, thorough hand washing, coughing into the crook of your elbow, staying home when sick and limiting contact with people who are infected.

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Kyrie is an overrated drama queen who’s previous teams always look better without him. KD should work out until he’s ready to leave though (only came because of Kyrie). I really think the Nets have something decent in Spencer D and Caris LeVert. They should let the younger guys have the spotlight.

Dinwiddie is a low IQ iso chucker. He has his moments, but he makes way too many boneheaded plays. I'm hoping they trade him for a legit PF

3 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Is it really that difficult to understand?  There is a lot of research out there to be read if you are at all interested.

Do you (or anyone) consider sars and mers, which are the coronavirus’ closest relatives to be anything like the flu?  

The symptoms are similar.

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Anyone who is trying to make this seem like it's  not a big deal uses the flu comparison.  The guy in my office who isn't  sick but is quarantined  because he lives in that area in New Rochelle thinks this is a very big deal.

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

How could we be discussing but long-term effect or something that’s just happening?

From John Hopkins medical website.

Similarities: COVID-19 and the Flu

Symptoms

• Both cause fever, cough, body aches, fatigue; sometimes vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Can be mild or severe, even fatal in rare cases.
  • Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

• Both can be spread from person to person through droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing or talking.
  • A possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route (see details below under Differences).
  • Flu can be spread by an infected person for several days before their symptoms appear, and COVID-19 is believed to be spread in the same manner, but we don’t yet know for sure.

Treatment

• Neither virus is treatable with antibiotics, which only work on bacterial infections.
  • Both may be treated by addressing symptoms, such as reducing fever. Severe cases may require hospitalization and support such as mechanical ventilation.

Prevention

Both may be prevented by frequent, thorough hand washing, coughing into the crook of your elbow, staying home when sick and limiting contact with people who are infected.

Yes, they are both sicknesses.

If you were at all interested in the disease, and did any amount of research, there are plenty of people who have been working on this for months that have seen evidence of a post sickness chronic condition resulting from it. 

Its also not as if those who have had sars or mers are all healthy afterward.  They have a lifetime of issues.

7 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Ok now I'm REALLY nervous about this getting worse. 

I hope the deaths of millions doesn’t interfere with the 16-0 Raiders winning the 2021 Super Bowl in front of an empty, hermetically sealed indoor stadium on a cruise ship floating off the shores of Antarctica

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

and, no, I’m not paranoid.  I am realistic.  I know that I am going to get it, just as most everyone will.  Not much any of us can really do about it.

COVID-19 is a corona virus like SARS and MERS...did you get those also?  Doubt it.

Thankfully, COVID-19 while a lot more contagious than SARS and MERS is a lot less lethal.  COVID-19 is contagious enough to spread the globe...but it's lethality?  

Not so much.

• Upvote 2

Just now, greenwave81 said:

COVID-19 is a corona virus like SARS and MERS...did you get those also?  Doubt it.

Thankfully, COVID-19 while a lot more contagious than SARS and MERS is a lot less lethal.  COVID-19 is contagious enough to spread the globe...but it's lethality?  

Not so much.

Still closer than the flu.  A medical professional should know such things.  

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I hope the deaths of millions doesn’t interfere with the 16-0 Raiders winning the 2021 Super Bowl in front of an empty, hermetically sealed indoor stadium on a cruise ship floating off the shores of Antarctica

That's allot of spaghetti-o’s psycho.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Not only we going to have a football season , but an NFL draft.  This wuhanvirus  is lasting a couple more weeks.    So you can stop hoarding the toilet paper.

Just some advice. Stick to what you know, its clearly not viral epidemics. It's way too early to predict what will happen later this year. 

You are literally only seeing the beginning of it. The world is literally in the pregame phase of the pandemic and the game clock hasnt even started. 

Too many people dont take things like this seriously enough until it's too late. I'm not saying the world will die, but a few hundred thousand surely will. H1N1 Swine flu strain lasted over a year and killed 350-400,000 people estimated. The same strain killed about 50 million people in the early 1900s which wasnt that long ago. The current estimate for Covid19 is a half million people conservative at best.

Some context for my opinion, I'm an 8 year military veteran and survival instructor that owns my own survival company, and my fiance works for the second largest drug manufacturer in the US. A vaccine is minimum 4-8 months away.

The people that dont take precautions seriously are the first to regret it. The supply chain was already disrupted due to China, now even further. A lot of things you take for granted are about to be harder to get and/or be more expensive. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Butterfield said:

You shouldn’t make assumptions.  You think a doctor would realize that.  

Whatever...should have known better to offer a medical opinion on a football message board...after I was asked.

Perhaps I'd value your opinion more if you'd present your side of things so it could be discussed rather than just taking pot shots Einstein.

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Not so much.

After reading your past posts, I wouldn’t take much stock in anything you say.  

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

Just some advice. Stick to what you know, its clearly not viral epidemics. It's way too early to predict what will happen later this year. 

You are literally only seeing the beginning of it. The world is literally in the pregame phase of the pandemic and the game clock hasnt even started. 

Too many people dont take things like this seriously enough until it's too late. I'm not saying the world will die, but a few hundred thousand surely will. H1N1 Swine flu strain lasted over a year and killed 350-400,000 people estimated. The same strain killed about 50 million people in the early 1900s which wasnt that long ago. The current estimate for Covid19 is a half million people conservative at best.

Some context for my opinion, I'm an 8 year military veteran and survival instructor that owns my own survival company, and my fiance works for the second largest drug manufacturer in the US. A vaccine is minimum 4-8 months away.

The people that dont take precautions seriously are the first to regret it. The supply chain was already disrupted due to China, now even further. A lot of things you take for granted are about to be harder to get and/or be more expensive. 

Define serious precautions

Just now, Matt39 said:

Define serious precautions

- Reasonably having a fully stocked house of 30 days of supplies for your entire family. 

- Full tank of gas in your vehicle. 

- Emergency bags (Go Bags), ready in your house. 

- Limited contact with people whenever reasonably possible. If you can work from home, do so. 

It doesnt take much more than what's currently happening in the world for things to go seriously sideways, very quickly. I would say we are on the very edge currently. 

If you have ever been through a hurricane, tornado, earthquake, wildfire, you should know that most of society isnt prepared for sh*t, and those things dont normally kill nearly as many people as a pandemic. 

6 minutes ago, lauderdale jet said:

Here’s an expert on infectious disease. 
seems it could be a bit more serious than we thought

This is a VERY good watch. 

Honestly, base your entire opinion off this podcast. Not off of CNN or FOX NEWS. 

• Upvote 2