Rumor: The Jets not bringing Lac Edwards back?

I heard a rumor on an instagram news page I read that the Jets do not intend to bring our Punter Lachlan Edwards back for 2020.  That would be a mistake imo. First off he's one of Macc's best draft picks haha but secondly he has been a very solid above average punter for us. I would like to see continuity anywhere that we can have it.  I would think he wouldn't be all that expensive to retain, but I don't have any idea what he's looking for as far as a contract goes. 

I like Edwards and want to keep him around. 

Thoughts? 

***Lac Edwards signed a 4 year, $2,415,795 contract with the New York Jets, including a $75,795 signing bonus, $75,795 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $603,949. In , Edwards will earn a base salary of , a signing bonus of , a roster bonus of , a signing bonus of , a restructure bonus of , a workout bonus of and a incentive bonus of , while carrying a cap hit of and a dead cap value of .

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $2,415,795 SIGNING BONUS$75,795 AVERAGE SALARY$603,949 GTD AT SIGN:$75,795 TOTAL GTD:$75,795 FREE AGENT:2020 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2016 Contract details by year 24 $450,000 $18,948 $468,948 $75,795 $525,795($525,795)  
2017 Contract details by year 25 $540,000 $18,948 $558,948 $56,847 $540,000($1,065,795)  
2018 Contract details by year 26 $630,000 $18,948 $648,948 $37,899 $630,000($1,695,795)  
2019 Contract details by year 27 $720,000 $18,951 $738,951 $18,951 $720,000($2,415,795)  
2020 Free Agent Year 28 UFA  
Sources: NFL contract specifics generally collected from verified

He's been a good player for the Jets, and is likely going to get a nice salary bump as a FA.

The Jets never seem to want to spend on special teamers, including kickers and punters. I think it's likely he gets a bigger offer elsewhere, and moves on.

Hey, at least we have Ian Berryman....whoever he is.

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think this is ridiculous. Did they not learn anything by letting their PK walk last year? It's such a small percentage of the cap - when you have a good P or K, just pay them and sleep well at night.

TF

He's average at best.  They can do better for cheaper

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think this is ridiculous. Did they not learn anything by letting their PK walk last year? It's such a small percentage of the cap - when you have a good P or K, just pay them and sleep well at night.

TF

I agree with the sentiment.  But looking at Jason Myers' stats last year, the Jets, on the surface, don't look quite as dumb.  His FG % dropped from 91.7% to 82.1%.  He was far worse from 40+ yards out than he was in 2018 with us.  Now having said that, we didn't have a plan to replace him so our kicking stats for the year were far worse than even that.  What Macc forgot is that letting your over-priced FA walk is fine, but you still do need to bring in a competent replacement.  Hey, 1 out of 2 ain't bad, right?

I don't like this.  While certainly not perfect, Edwards was still worlds better than what we're used to around here.  Anyone claiming he's easily replaceable apparently has a very poor memory about the endless outright disaster that was the Jets' punters for decades.  What were considered "poor" kicks for Edwards was still better than the peak for most of the endless stream of shankers that have come through here.  If he's looking for big money, although I can't imagine how he would be, then I can get moving on, but otherwise it's a stupid move.

You think they would know that from last year's idiotic attempt to try to justify bringing in a "Gase guy" at punter to beat him out, while completely ignoring the horrid kicker position, yet he was so immeasurably worse they couldn't justify keeping him.

• Upvote 2

It would be a mistake to let him go.  Totally idiotic to treat punters/kickers like an afterthought.  There is MUCH hidden yardage in special teams.

If JD lets him go and they don't bring in a punter that is equally good if not better,  it will lower my confidence and regard for him... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

He was wildly inconsistent this past season. He made some really bad kicks in big moments. He's replaceable at a fraction of the cost

I know that is often the sentiment with kickers/punters, but even average punters/kickers are not falling out of the sky.  Addition by subtraction is often a mistake made with the kicking/punting game.  

If JD lets him walk and does not bring in a better player, it will be a big mistake.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I agree with the sentiment.  But looking at Jason Myers' stats last year, the Jets, on the surface, don't look quite as dumb.  His FG % dropped from 91.7% to 82.1%.  He was far worse from 40+ yards out than he was in 2018 with us.  Now having said that, we didn't have a plan to replace him so our kicking stats for the year were far worse than even that.  What Macc forgot is that letting your over-priced FA walk is fine, but you still do need to bring in a competent replacement.  Hey, 1 out of 2 ain't bad, right?

Should we have received a Comp pick for Myers? Even a 6th or 7th would have been helpful.

Edwards led the league last season in punts and total punting yards.  probably the only league leader we had last season -- unfortunately, it is not a category you want to lead the league in.

Whoever replaces him, I just hope he punts less next year.  A lot less.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Edwards led the league last season in punts and total punting yards.  probably the only league leader we had last season -- unfortunately, it is not a category you want to lead the league in.

Whoever replaces him, I just hope he punts less next year.  A lot less.

Agree.  If we measure value on a dollars per kick basis, we got a real bargain last year...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Agree.  If we measure value on a dollars per kick basis, we got a real bargain last year...

Thats the way I usually look at my golf game.  I am very good at minimizing cost per stroke.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I am so tired of this guy punting a ball 42 yards to watch the return man fair catch it at the 19. Thats not a good punt but that what he consistently did last year.

It was still infinitely better than his predecessors who would all have at least once a game where they'd shank a punt 11 yards to midfield instead when in that same position.  If you think 42 yards is really that bad, you have a very lacking memory about what else this team has had to deal with at the position.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

It was still infinitely better than his predecessors who would all have at least once a game where they'd shank a punt 11 yards to midfield instead when in that same position.  If you think 42 yards is really that bad, you have a very lacking memory about what else this team has had to deal with at the position.

It's not the yardage, it's the kicking to the 15-20 yard line instead of trying to get it inside the 10

11 hours ago, mrcoops said:

He's been a good player for the Jets, and is likely going to get a nice salary bump as a FA.

The Jets never seem to want to spend on special teamers, including kickers and punters. I think it's likely he gets a bigger offer elsewhere, and moves on.

Hey, at least we have Ian Berryman....whoever he is.

He stinks! Sir Shankalot never disappoints when we need a good boot to get out of trouble