Prediction: All major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 (Update. MLB, NHL, NASCAR suspending, MLS, NCAA, XFL, Masters cancelled).

It is a unfortunate but true reality. I predict the obvious, that all major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 due to the Corona virus.  I heard that some football scouts are cancelling traveling.  

More to come for the NFL after Friday per link below:

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/nflpa-huddling-with-medical-experts-on-friday-618217.html

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

They may go with just TV, which will be weird and eerie, but that's where the real money is made.  Test all the players, make the positive players sit.  Might end up looking a bit like a strike year.  Let's hope not.

NCAA tournament has just been cancelled.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

They may go with just TV, which will be weird and eerie, but that's where the real money is made.  Test all the players, make the positive players sit.  Might end up looking a bit like a strike year.  Let's hope not.

Teams will want to spray undiluted bleach all over the visitor's locker room at Gilette before they play there.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That didn't say anything new about the NCAA Tournament.  They still have it going on but without fans.

But it seems inevitable.

It's happening. Many players are expressing concerns and do not want to participate.  Can't blame players without salary exposing themselves to the public. 

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

NCAA tournament hasn't been cancelled.  Multiple conference tournaments have.

Not to be a dickhead, but it takes like 5 seconds to fact check yourself.

That said, I can't imagine the NCAA tournament won't eventually be cancelled too.

You are correct, but most likely it will lead to it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

NFL draft is likely going to be scaled wayyyyyy back. 

I hope it is 

I can do without the Hollywood award show-esque theatrics.

If they don’t even want to have the athletes there and just do it the way they did it 40 years ago that’s fine by me.

Just have a representative from each team gather in a conference room and hand in the picks to Goodell.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

It is a unfortunate but true reality. I predict the obvious, that all major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 due to the Corona virus.  I heard that some football scouts are cancelling traveling.  

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/nflpa-huddling-with-medical-experts-on-friday-618217.html

Too much money at stake in the NFL. Teams will play to empty stadiums since the bulk of the income is TV money

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I guess people have forgotten all about Ebola, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, SARS, Mad Cow Disease, etc.

We just gave the CDC $9 billion dollars. If those dicks can’t figure it out then what use are they?

There’s a much better chance of no one even talking about this anymore 2 months from now than cancelling every sporting event/concert/major gathering for the rest of the year.

Hope so

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

We will need a very comprehensive testing regime that the politicians don’t want to pay for now.   that is what this is all about.   

The more Conservative types view this as mostly an urban problem and don’t want to pay for it.  The Liberal types are trying to grab extra money that does not necessarily relate to the disease.  

In the US, local governments and the private sector are expected to lead.   The Federal government helps and addresses the broader issues, supports the CDC, etc.

I am packing up my office to work from home for the next 2-4 weeks.  If you can do that, you do that.  This will effect FA.  there will be no visits.   “Certain” people will need to be actively and regularly tested.  For our purposes this would be NFL players and personnel who have to work at the facility.   This is where we are going.  

In NYC right now, a caste system is forming.  The really important businesses-banks, investment firms, are already empty.  My law firm is getting ready to empty.  Certain people like myself will self-declare themselves to be in isolation.  

But my prediction is that this gets very ugly all around for the next 1-2 months.  It then will fritz out with remediation measures and warmer weather.  If we don’t get our act together it comes back with a vengeance at the end of the year.  This is exactly the timeline for the Spanish Flu in 1918.  

Great insight.  The health system is broken and the average American is struggling with medical bills.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Prediction: This sh*t will be gone by July.

Or sooner.  Nothing in my lifetime is going to top 9/11 in terms of pure panic.  Bush and Giuliani were throwing the first pitch at Yankee Stadium six weeks later...

• Upvote 1

Normally I'd say no, that's fear-mongering, but it probably will happen. While I don't think it'll be the zombie apocalypse that the media is saying, it is rather serious, and will continue to infect people until a vaccine is developed. The problem is, even after a vaccine is created, vaccination trials themselves usually take around a year or so to be completed.

• Upvote 1

Won't happen... The more likely scenario is that it all tapers off after flu season much like SARS, H1N1, MERS, etc.. etc..

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I predict by mid May this will be old news.

• Thumb Down 1

26 minutes ago, varjet said:

We will need a very comprehensive testing regime that the politicians don’t want to pay for now.   that is what this is all about.   

The more Conservative types view this as mostly an urban problem and don’t want to pay for it.  The Liberal types are trying to grab extra money that does not necessarily relate to the disease.  

In the US, local governments and the private sector are expected to lead.   The Federal government helps and addresses the broader issues, supports the CDC, etc.

I am packing up my office to work from home for the next 2-4 weeks.  If you can do that, you do that.  This will effect FA.  there will be no visits.   “Certain” people will need to be actively and regularly tested.  For our purposes this would be NFL players and personnel who have to work at the facility.   This is where we are going.  

In NYC right now, a caste system is forming.  The really important businesses-banks, investment firms, are already empty.  My law firm is getting ready to empty.  Certain people like myself will self-declare themselves to be in isolation.  

But my prediction is that this gets very ugly all around for the next 1-2 months.  It then will fritz out with remediation measures and warmer weather.  If we don’t get our act together it comes back with a vengeance at the end of the year.  This is exactly the timeline for the Spanish Flu in 1918.  

Yep, this is not something to take lightly. It's interesting because either people don't give a sh*t about this situation, or are in full blow panic over it, there seems to be little middle ground. Not surprising though, people tend to never learn anything from mistakes made throughout history.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

The funny thing to me is the same people wanting all of this stuff cancelled are the same people saying this is a huge issue because China hasn't actually curbed it and it will explode there once they re enter the world. ( i agree with this)

Either this is going to be dissipated by warmer weather or its going to spread like wildfire eventually once people get bored with staying home (or can no longer afford too do so

I can see merit to slowing it down until warmer weather arrives, but the current solutions aren't really going to stop this thing long term. It will just spike again once people reenter the world