Jump to content
82nd Airborne

Prediction: All major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 (Update. MLB, NHL, NASCAR suspending, MLS, NCAA, XFL, Masters cancelled).

Recommended Posts

It is a unfortunate but true reality. I predict the obvious, that all major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 due to the Corona virus.  I heard that some football scouts are cancelling traveling.  

More to come for the NFL after Friday per link below:

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/nflpa-huddling-with-medical-experts-on-friday-618217.html

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it hasn't been reigned in by then I could see it happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt very much that happens. They may limit attendance, but the hysteria will die down by that time.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They may go with just TV, which will be weird and eerie, but that's where the real money is made.  Test all the players, make the positive players sit.  Might end up looking a bit like a strike year.  Let's hope not.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

They may go with just TV, which will be weird and eerie, but that's where the real money is made.  Test all the players, make the positive players sit.  Might end up looking a bit like a strike year.  Let's hope not.

NCAA tournament has just been cancelled.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

They may go with just TV, which will be weird and eerie, but that's where the real money is made.  Test all the players, make the positive players sit.  Might end up looking a bit like a strike year.  Let's hope not.

Teams will want to spray undiluted bleach all over the visitor's locker room at Gilette before they play there.  

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 82nd Airborne said:

NCAA tournament has just been cancelled.

The tournament?  Or just that games will be played with no fans in attendance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nycdan said:

The tournament?  Or just that games will be played with no fans in attendance?

Conference tournaments have just been cancelled, I saw.  Not surprising if they just cancelled the NCAA Tournament too

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be like the day after MLB all star game all year round.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That didn't say anything new about the NCAA Tournament.  They still have it going on but without fans.

But it seems inevitable.

It's happening. Many players are expressing concerns and do not want to participate.  Can't blame players without salary exposing themselves to the public. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCAA tournament hasn't been cancelled.  Multiple conference tournaments have.

Not to be a dickhead, but it takes like 5 seconds to fact check yourself.

That said, I can't imagine the NCAA tournament won't eventually be cancelled too.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL draft is likely going to be scaled wayyyyyy back. ESPN is likely pooping themselves. 

NHL likely to suspend as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

NCAA tournament hasn't been cancelled.  Multiple conference tournaments have.

Not to be a dickhead, but it takes like 5 seconds to fact check yourself.

That said, I can't imagine the NCAA tournament won't eventually be cancelled too.

You are correct, but most likely it will lead to it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

NFL draft is likely going to be scaled wayyyyyy back. 

I hope it is 

I can do without the Hollywood award show-esque theatrics.

If they don’t even want to have the athletes there and just do it the way they did it 40 years ago that’s fine by me.

Just have a representative from each team gather in a conference room and hand in the picks to Goodell.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

It is a unfortunate but true reality. I predict the obvious, that all major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 due to the Corona virus.  I heard that some football scouts are cancelling traveling.  

More to come for the NFL after Friday per link below:

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/nflpa-huddling-with-medical-experts-on-friday-618217.html

Too much money at stake in the NFL. Teams will play to empty stadiums since the bulk of the income is TV money

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I guess people have forgotten all about Ebola, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, SARS, Mad Cow Disease, etc.

We just gave the CDC $9 billion dollars. If those dicks can’t figure it out then what use are they?

There’s a much better chance of no one even talking about this anymore 2 months from now than cancelling every sporting event/concert/major gathering for the rest of the year.

Hope so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

Too much money at stake in the NFL. Teams will play to empty stadiums since the bulk of the income is TV money

The virus is extremely contagious for rich owners taking on liabilities and risking their investments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, varjet said:

We will need a very comprehensive testing regime that the politicians don’t want to pay for now.   that is what this is all about.   

The more Conservative types view this as mostly an urban problem and don’t want to pay for it.  The Liberal types are trying to grab extra money that does not necessarily relate to the disease.  

In the US, local governments and the private sector are expected to lead.   The Federal government helps and addresses the broader issues, supports the CDC, etc.

I am packing up my office to work from home for the next 2-4 weeks.  If you can do that, you do that.  This will effect FA.  there will be no visits.   “Certain” people will need to be actively and regularly tested.  For our purposes this would be NFL players and personnel who have to work at the facility.   This is where we are going.  

In NYC right now, a caste system is forming.  The really important businesses-banks, investment firms, are already empty.  My law firm is getting ready to empty.  Certain people like myself will self-declare themselves to be in isolation.  

But my prediction is that this gets very ugly all around for the next 1-2 months.  It then will fritz out with remediation measures and warmer weather.  If we don’t get our act together it comes back with a vengeance at the end of the year.  This is exactly the timeline for the Spanish Flu in 1918.  

Great insight.  The health system is broken and the average American is struggling with medical bills.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

NCAA tournament has just been cancelled.

Oh wow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Prediction: This sh*t will be gone by July.

Or sooner.  Nothing in my lifetime is going to top 9/11 in terms of pure panic.  Bush and Giuliani were throwing the first pitch at Yankee Stadium six weeks later...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally I'd say no, that's fear-mongering, but it probably will happen. While I don't think it'll be the zombie apocalypse that the media is saying, it is rather serious, and will continue to infect people until a vaccine is developed. The problem is, even after a vaccine is created, vaccination trials themselves usually take around a year or so to be completed.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

It is a unfortunate but true reality. I predict the obvious, that all major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 due to the Corona virus.  I heard that some football scouts are cancelling traveling.  

More to come for the NFL after Friday per link below:

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/nflpa-huddling-with-medical-experts-on-friday-618217.html

Won't happen... The more likely scenario is that it all tapers off after flu season much like SARS, H1N1, MERS, etc.. etc..

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

It is a unfortunate but true reality. I predict the obvious, that all major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 due to the Corona virus.  I heard that some football scouts are cancelling traveling.  

More to come for the NFL after Friday per link below:

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/nflpa-huddling-with-medical-experts-on-friday-618217.html

I predict by mid May this will be old news.

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, varjet said:

We will need a very comprehensive testing regime that the politicians don’t want to pay for now.   that is what this is all about.   

The more Conservative types view this as mostly an urban problem and don’t want to pay for it.  The Liberal types are trying to grab extra money that does not necessarily relate to the disease.  

In the US, local governments and the private sector are expected to lead.   The Federal government helps and addresses the broader issues, supports the CDC, etc.

I am packing up my office to work from home for the next 2-4 weeks.  If you can do that, you do that.  This will effect FA.  there will be no visits.   “Certain” people will need to be actively and regularly tested.  For our purposes this would be NFL players and personnel who have to work at the facility.   This is where we are going.  

In NYC right now, a caste system is forming.  The really important businesses-banks, investment firms, are already empty.  My law firm is getting ready to empty.  Certain people like myself will self-declare themselves to be in isolation.  

But my prediction is that this gets very ugly all around for the next 1-2 months.  It then will fritz out with remediation measures and warmer weather.  If we don’t get our act together it comes back with a vengeance at the end of the year.  This is exactly the timeline for the Spanish Flu in 1918.  

Yep, this is not something to take lightly. It's interesting because either people don't give a sh*t about this situation, or are in full blow panic over it, there seems to be little middle ground. Not surprising though, people tend to never learn anything from mistakes made throughout history.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny thing to me is the same people wanting all of this stuff cancelled are the same people saying this is a huge issue because China hasn't actually curbed it and it will explode there once they re enter the world. ( i agree with this)

Either this is going to be dissipated by warmer weather or its going to spread like wildfire eventually once people get bored with staying home (or can no longer afford too do so

I can see merit to slowing it down until warmer weather arrives, but the current solutions aren't really going to stop this thing long term. It will just spike again once people reenter the world

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...