Prediction: All major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 (Update. MLB, NHL, NASCAR suspending, MLS, NCAA, XFL, Masters cancelled).

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Don't hate on me because i'm troubled by numbers being thrown around about how many here will get this. When someone talks about millions and millions in this country getting infected, it's outrageously irresponsible. Like you said, the numbers aren't finalized, but when you look at that chart i posted, how can any responsible person talk in numbers of 80 million. 150, million. It's ridiculous.

Thats fine.  You don’t believe in modeling.  We understand. Just realize thats how forecasts work, of all types.  

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess people have forgotten all about Ebola, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, SARS, Mad Cow Disease, etc. We just gave the CDC $9 billion dollars. If those dicks can’t figure it out then what use are they?

You know what breeds mass panic? Avoidance of reality. For two months we've been told "it's not coming here, it's a China problem, there are a few cases but we'll have 0 next week". If from the s

People blaming the media is getting really old. The media hasn’t done anything to exacerbate this problem, didn’t cancel anything, etc. The media has simply reported facts. Period. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

Thats fine.  You don’t believe in modeling.  We understand. Just realize thats how forecasts work, of all types.  

Is there a reason you’re spending all day finger wagging anyone bringing any sense of a positive outlook to this thing? We get you know it all, but maybe take a breath dude.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, genot said:

Don't hate on me because i'm troubled by numbers being thrown around about how many here will get this. When someone talks about millions and millions in this country getting infected, it's outrageously irresponsible. Like you said, the numbers aren't finalized, but when you look at that chart i posted, how can any responsible person talk in numbers of 80 million. 150, million. It's ridiculous.

Aren’t they more making guesstimates IF this thing isn’t corralled ASAP. And it hasn’t been. The potential for it to explode to those numbers is very real and it’s a way to put pressure on these morons to get this straightened out who should have never disbanded the pandemic unit in the government in the first place to build a stupid wall. 

• Thumb Down 1
3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I was just getting ready to look up the same numbers.  I have been tracking that.  

Italy was 17.6K as of yesterday.  1266 had died.  The country is supposedly in complete lockdown now.  

For us to get to the same point in the US, over 95K Americans would get infected, and almost 7K would die.  That is alot, but not nearly what the flu is.   

The US has 2500 cases and there is miscellaneous panic.  Cities and offices are shutting down . When the US gets to 17.6K cases there will be mass shutdown.  We will be there by Monday or so.  We will lockdown before Italy did, relative to our population size. 

But as far as the 100mm infected/10mm dying, I am having a tough time seeing that. 

The best thing we can all do is stay at home as much as possible for the next two weeks.   Go through your freezers and clean your closets.  

The NFL should start testing people, isolate the players and be able to play games, without spectators if necessary.  We will need something to watch, and TV is where the money is.  They and the other sports should be able to figure it out.  

Exactly. Like i said to Butterfield, i started posting on this topic because of the outrageous numbers being thrown out there about how many here will become infected. Numbers in the tens of millions with no basis in fact.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Is there a reason you’re spending all day finger wagging anyone bringing any sense of a positive outlook to this thing? We get you know it all, but maybe take a breath dude.

What are you talking about?  Its called conversation.  You can always put me on ignore if you don‘t want to have it.  

1 minute ago, genot said:

Exactly. Like i said to Butterfield, i started posting on this topic because of the outrageous numbers being thrown out there about how many here will become infected. Numbers in the tens of millions with no basis in fact.

There is not a forecast that can be given without limited information.  Thats why forecasts are used.

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Aren’t they more making guesstimates IF this thing isn’t corralled ASAP. And it hasn’t been. The potential for it to explode to those numbers is very real and it’s a way to put pressure on these morons to get this straightened out who should have never disbanded the pandemic unit in the government in the first place to build a stupid wall. 

It exploded in Italy, less than 2% of the population has the virus. So, tell me how 1/3rd or more of the population here are going to get the virus. You guess about who the Jets are going to draft this year. You don't guess, and tell people millions will become infected, when there's no basis in fact to say that.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I agree, but there was one huge difference yesterday. I spent my career on Wall St. on trading desks, so I watched these two conferences on CNBC to see the market reaction. Unfortunately, it was something we all became very familiar with during the financial crisis, with TV's between each of our desks. Wednesday was a huge down day, and the futures were way lower after the close, but rallied to only down 70 pts right before the President spoke at 9PM. Obviously, it was based on hope that he may propose a bunch of things that would calm nerves, and give us confidence that we were on the way to attacking this thing. After about 5 minutes, they started pounding the futures again, to down about 500 pts when he was finished. It was obviously not a good performance, and inspired nothing that we needed to see.

When he began yesterday, the market was up 900 pts. After 2-3 minutes, they sold the market off about 350 pts, and I, and many others were thinking "here they go again." Thankfully, he then turned it over to the female doctor, who is spearheading a huge part of the response. This was the major difference maker that wasn't present on Wednesday. She actually explained what steps are being taken, on many different levels, and basically gave an aura of competence, professionalism and the idea that we finally may have our sh*t together. We all saw the way the market reacted.

This isn't to say that the market is all wise, but to underscore what a huge difference it makes when you actually let good people, who know what they're doing, get out in front and do it. I just hope that this is the beginning of a huge change in philosophy, that it's ok to have competent people around to do what they are good at. We should all hope for that.

Felt a little like the makings of a pump and dump yesterday though, no?

4 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

There is not a forecast that can be given without limited information.  Thats why forecasts are used.

Nobody should be forecasting about this. This is some serious S...It's as irresponsible as someone saying on their YouTube channel saying it was part of a germ warfare experiment in China.

• Upvote 2

So, this thread is going well.

Health officials: there’s a virus, it has the potential to be very bad, here’s how you can help...

Middle-aged white guys: everyone is stupid because they’re panicking, here’s my measured and logical argument for what is really going on ITS THE MEDIA THE DEMOCRATS TOILET PAPER THATS NOT THE RIGHT INFO THIS IS THE INFO HOAX JUST THE FLU FLU KILLS 400000 PEOPLE YOURE STUPID AGENDAS CHINA CONSPIRACY DONT TRUST DOCTORS ON THE INTERNET TRUST THE UPS DRIVER INSTEAD AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Yep. The people who picked up a few extra groceries and cleaning supplies are the ones freaking out.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, genot said:

I'm not talking about press conferences Wonderboy. And i'm not talking politics.

So you’re defending a psychotic wannabe politician who has less experience in government than a White House file clerk for not taking responsibility to disband an agency, which if it was in place, would have markedly had a jump on this thing. Instead, we have a circus.  Look at the UFO the unbelievably freaking obvious. They are not testing people. Why? If real numbers came out through testing he’d have his head on a spear.  Only New Rochelle has a testing center. New Rochelle!!!! Let that sink into your head. You’re a smart guy. But cmon man it’s basic algebra 2 x 2=4. 4x 2=8 etc etc etc. Fret not. The universe will overcome this. Only 9.5 more months before this (insert adjective) is exported to Norway. 

• Thumb Down 1
2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Health officials: there’s a virus, it has the potential to be very bad, here’s how you can help...

Middle-aged white guys: everyone is stupid because they’re panicking, here’s my measured and logical argument for what is really going on ITS THE MEDIA THE DEMOCRATS TOILET PAPER THATS NOT THE RIGHT INFO THIS IS THE INFO HOAX JUST THE FLU FLU KILLS 400000 PEOPLE YOURE STUPID AGENDAS CHINA CONSPIRACY DONT TRUST DOCTORS ON THE INTERNET TRUST THE UPS DRIVER INSTEAD AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Yep. The people who picked up a few extra groceries and cleaning supplies are the ones freaking out.

Question. Based upon what you now about how the virus, and how it's is progressing in China and other countries, do you think it was responsible for anyone to be talking about up to 150 million people being affected by this virus in this country.

12 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

What?  

You take containment measures. You inform people about social separation, and proper hygiene. What you don't do, is forecast how many will be affected, when theirs no basis in fact for that forecast. That's my position. It has been, since day one.

15 minutes ago, genot said:

Nobody should be forecasting about this. This is some serious S...It's as irresponsible as someone saying on their YouTube channel saying it was part of a germ warfare experiment in China.

Or an Arkansas senator claiming it came from a lab 2 miles away from the food court

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

ya, those evil middle aged white guys. stay off of the tv, dude. its rotting your brain

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, genot said:

It exploded in Italy, less than 2% of the population has the virus. So, tell me how 1/3rd or more of the population here are going to get the virus. You guess about who the Jets are going to draft this year. You don't guess, and tell people millions will become infected, when there's no basis in fact to say that.

True BUT the estimates are based on the inability to cut this thing down as much as possible. If media hysteria forces their hand then GOOD. I’m a social worker I had a client who was complaining the garbage hadn’t been picked up on his street for over two weeks-  he then proceeded to kick the cans of garbage into the street where  cars could not pass - guess what happened - the next day the garbage was all picked up. 

1 minute ago, genot said:

Question. Based upon what you now about how the virus, and how it's is progressing in China and other countries, do you think it was responsible for anyone to be talking about up to 150 million people being affected by this virus in this country.

You take containment measures. You inform people about social separation, and proper hygiene. What you don't do, is forecast how many will be affected, when theirs no basis in fact for that forecast. That's my position. It has been, since day one.

You don’t seem to understand how the world works.  That can’t be explained in this thread. 

5 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

So you’re defending a psychotic wannabe politician who has less experience in government than a White House file clerk for not taking responsibility to disband an agency, which if it was in place, would have markedly had a jump on this thing. Instead, we have a circus.  Look at the UFO the unbelievably freaking obvious. They are not testing people. Why? If real numbers came out through testing he’d have his head on a spear.  Only New Rochelle has a testing center. New Rochelle!!!! Let that sink into your head. You’re a smart guy. But cmon man it’s basic algebra 2 x 2=4. 4x 2=8 etc etc etc. Fret not. The universe will overcome this. Only 9.5 more months before this (insert adjective) is exported to Norway. 

We have the CDC. That's what they do. That agency you talk about was put into place by Obama. You talk like it's been arounf for years with a proven track record of getting the jump on these things. Nobody could get a jump on this. it originated in China, a country that is way slow in informing anyone about anything.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

You don’t seem to understand how the world works.  That can’t be explained in this thread. 

Stop it Butterfield Nobody knows how the world works. It works one way, one year, another way, another year. nothing ever is set in stone about how the world works.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, genot said:

We have the CDC. That's what they do. That agency you talk about was put into place by Obama. You talk like it's been arounf for years with a proven track record of getting the jump on these things. Nobody could get a jump on this. it originated in China, a country that is way slow in informing anyone about anything.

🤦🏻‍♂️ The CDC is being muffled by the White House. And the pandemic agency should have NEVER been liquidated. Look how long it’s taken them to get the right people to provide the right info out. And even then, these imbeciles continue to contradict and spread inaccurate falsehoods. It’s a pathetic song and dance. 

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

I believe this to temporary, 2-4 weeks, maybe a couple months. It’s a very contagious flu virus. We do know 20,000-40,000 people die in the US from the regular flu annually. Which no one is talking about. While I think it’s prudent to take steps to minimize the spread of it everyone needs to put this in perspective. Emptying shelves in stores of hand sanitizer and toilet paper is just a sign of public panic and stupidity. Anyone who does not have chronic health problems like COPD, asthma, heart disease, etc. and gets it will have a flu and be OK. The vaccine will more than likely be in next years flu shot. Be smart, don’t panic and we’ll have sports back in 2 weeks to 2 months. 

Could you make it 3 mos. so the Mets will avoid their annual "June Swoon?" Seriously, hope you're right.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Felt a little like the makings of a pump and dump yesterday though, no?

Possibly.....don't think we've seen the "bottom" yet, but I really think the bigger picture is the perception that competent people make  us feel way more comfortable with how a serious issue is being handled.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, genot said:

Duh I know, not guess, who the Jets will be drafting - a safety who can’t cover, a DL that can’t make a sack,  a kicker who can’t make a FG outside of 40 yards, a midget LB that gets pushed around by a slot WR, and a cb who couldn’t cover a pot. 

10 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Please tell me what "agenda" the media is pursuing when they point out that as of February 25, South Korea had tested 30,000 people for the virus, the UK had tested 7,000, and the US had tested 445?

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/why-has-the-us-cdc-done-so-little-coronavirus-testing.html

4 hours ago, genot said:

They're asking the President directly if he takes responsibility for the slow deployment of testing kits. Fauci has said time and time again that it was a problem with the way the system was set up. years before Trump became president. The article you posted basically says the same thing. If you can't figure out what the agenda is, it's probably based on your own bias.

So you admit that the media is not showing bias when they point out that as of February 25, South Korea had tested 30,000 people for the virus, the UK had tested 7,000, and the US had tested 445.  Thank you, because up to now, it seems your side has been saying that we can't trust anything we read in the normal media, and now we know we can.

The article I posted does not say the president has no responsibility for the tests not being available.  Here is the relevant part of the article-let the reader decide: 

There are combination of factors limiting U.S. testing capacity, including guidelines limiting the surveillance and detection of potential coronavirus cases; an inadequate supply of coronavirus tests, due in part to regulatory hurdles; and ongoing problems at the CDC as it tries to develop and distribute an accurate test to the labs that need it.

As of Tuesday, only a dozen or so state and local health departments can currently test for the virus, and positive results still have to be confirmed by the CDC in Atlanta, according to Nancy Messonnier, the director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. Meanwhile, Politico reported last week that only three out of 100 public health laboratories in the U.S. could test for COVID-19, according to a lab industry official. Whatever the total number is, it’s clear that coronavirus test kits have not been made widely available to the hospitals and public health labs across the country that need them — and there is still no word on when that will change....

....The CDC, with the FDA’s approval, had rapidly developed a test kit for the coronavirus, but after shipping it to state laboratories, additional testing of the kit determined that it had a faulty component and had to be scrapped. The CDC has been actively developing a new test kit since then, but no one seems to know when it will be finished and distributed. Messonnier, the CDC official, said on Tuesday that she thought the agency was “close” to being done with the new test.

Meanwhile, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, who leads President Trump’s coronavirus task force, has denied that the CDC test malfunctioned. Azar and the CDC have vowed full transparency over the U.S. coronavirus response, but that has not been the case so far.....

......There also remain questions about how budget and staffing cuts at the CDC under the Trump administration have impacted the agency’s capabilities. And there’s good reason to worry that the Trump administration may not always act in line with the agency’s guidance — there has already been at least one instance when the White House overruled the CDC in deciding how to handle confirmed coronavirus cases. On Wednesday, Trump directly contradicted the CDC in his first press conference on the coronavirus, noting that he didn’t think U.S. outbreaks were inevitable a day after the CDC had warned they were.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/why-has-the-us-cdc-done-so-little-coronavirus-testing.html

A faulty test developed after budget and staffing cuts at the agency developing it, while simultaneously the president's hand-picked man in charge is denying the tests are even faulty.  Meanwhile, other countries are testing like crazy with their own effective kits which we won't buy, and testing is absolutely necessary in developing a strategy to hold the spread of the disease down until a treatment and/or vaccine is developed, which won't happen this year.

Am I being biased when I feel this adds up to mismanagement?

• Upvote 1