Prediction: All major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 (Update. MLB, NHL, NASCAR suspending, MLS, NCAA, XFL, Masters cancelled).

8 hours ago, genot said:

This is the kind of scare-mongering that;s pissing me off. He is just guessing. If he wasn't there wouldn't be such an outrageous disparity in his numbers,

t

It wasn't fear mongering.  He said it behind closed doors to Senators. Obviously it's an estimate.  Even if it's half of his low number that's still 35 million people.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Well, first it was safe spaces, pound me too, and now mass hysteria over the flu.   This is a bunch of ?.                                 

Last week we heard it was a dozen cases of it in the US, this week we hear it's over 100 deaths from it.  Doesn't sound like BS  to me.

Worldwide deaths over 5 weeks:

eehBy0z.jpg?1

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Last week we heard it was a dozen cases of it in the US, this week we hear it's over 100 deaths from it.  Doesn't sound like BS  to me.

Worldwide deaths over 5 weeks:

eehBy0z.jpg?1

7.8 Billion people in the world.

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000. 

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

• Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

Source: Deaths: Final Data for 2017, table B pdf icon[PDF – 2 MB]

Its overkill, no pun intended.  The aftereffects of this overreaction will overshadow actual fatalities from this disease IMO.  People are losing jobs and retirement nest eggs because of mass panic.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

It wasn't fear mongering.  He said it behind closed doors to Senators. Obviously it's an estimate.  Even if it's half of his low number that's still 35 million people.  

And if we take the lower end of the morbidity/fatality rate and call it 1% then we'd end up with potentially 350,000 deaths in the US on that lower 35 million case estimate.

If we start clicking dramatically higher on cases as tests finally start to roll out, if we see a jump in deaths, if we see a famous person or politician die from this, or we end up with news stories of people on beds and gurneys in the hallways of hospitals because no rooms are available....we could see some serious social unrest and real draconian steps taken.  I hope we never get to that but to think it can't happen is foolish.  Italy which isn't a 3rd world country, is a complete mess right now.  Every day that goes by it starts looking more and more like a horror movie over there.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

7.8 Billion people in the world.

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000. 

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

• Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

Source: Deaths: Final Data for 2017, table B pdf icon[PDF – 2 MB]

Its overkill, no pun intended.  The aftereffects of this overreaction will overshadow actual fatalities from this disease IMO.  People are losing jobs and retirement nest eggs because of mass panic.

So from the October thru February, there have been 12,000 deaths from pneumonia.  But it wasn't zero deaths from pneumonia in September, was it?  No.

How about the fact this outbreak has gone from zero-to-3,000 deaths in a month?  How can you ignore that?  Or ignore that this is far, far more contagious than any known pneumonia outbreaks?

It's obvious you're quoting denial talking points, and they aren't working.

Just curious, in whose interest is it to deny the severity of this outbreak, and why?

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m not as optimistic. I heard that the CDC hired Maccagnan and asked him to “draft” some plans for the pandemic. I’ll show myself out......

Explains why genot alone thinks we’re in fine shape.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

My wife put Outbreak on...with Dustin Hoffman.  My personal fave is 12 Monkeys with Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt.  Scary to watch those now.....life imitating art to some degree.

I was going to watch Outbreak but I must've misplaced the DVD. I watched Contagion the other night just to get into the pandemic mood. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I was going to watch Outbreak but I must've misplaced the DVD. I watched Contagion the other night just to get into the pandemic mood. 

Contagion is a better movie. 

But it's funny that on Amazon Prime virtually every disaster scenario movie ever made is trending lol. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Well, first it was safe spaces, pound me too, and now mass hysteria over the flu.   This is a bunch of ?.                                 

Again, another post with a whole lotta wrong in it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

So from the October thru February, there have been 12,000 deaths from pneumonia.  But it wasn't zero deaths from pneumonia in September, was it?  No.

How about the fact this outbreak has gone from zero-to-3,000 deaths in a month?  How can you ignore that?  Or ignore that this is far, far more contagious than any known pneumonia outbreaks?

It's obvious you're quoting denial talking points, and they aren't working.

Just curious, in whose interest is it to deny the severity of this outbreak, and why?

Wait...what???? There hasn't been 3000 deaths from Corona in the US. In the world maybe (I think north of 4000 reported)........out of billions of people.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

And if we take the lower end of the morbidity/fatality rate and call it 1% then we'd end up with potentially 350,000 deaths in the US on that lower 35 million case estimate.

If we start clicking dramatically higher on cases as tests finally start to roll out, if we see a jump in deaths, if we see a famous person or politician die from this, or we end up with news stories of people on beds and gurneys in the hallways of hospitals because no rooms are available....we could see some serious social unrest and real draconian steps taken.  I hope we never get to that but to think it can't happen is foolish.  Italy which isn't a 3rd world country, is a complete mess right now.  Every day that goes by it starts looking more and more like a horror movie over there.

Being reported Tom Hank's just caught it in Australia.

6 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Wait...what???? There hasn't been 3000 deaths in the US. In the world maybe........out of billions of people.

Worldwide.

What's the difference? It's here and we didn't prepare in advance.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

An 80 million disparity tells you there are variables in play that can dramatically impact the outcome. 

No more, no less. 

My point it that it doesn't serve any useful purpose other than to panic the populace, which it's doing. I think it's unwise to disseminate that information publicly.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

People blaming the media is getting really old. The media hasn’t done anything to exacerbate this problem, didn’t cancel anything, etc. The media has simply reported facts. Period. 

People saying the media doesn't have an agenda is being blind.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

People who just shrug this off and say, "It's no big deal bc only the people with compromised immune systems and the elderly are the ones at risk" are terrible people. Those are peoples kids, parents and grandparents that could potentially die. I pray all of you who say that are affected by this in someway. Maybe then you won't be so ******* ignorant.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The media does have an agenda, however, to refute fact-based evidence under the guise of ‘its Just the media’ is ignorant. Global health orgs are not the media. Science is not the media. 

People bring outraged about panic is childish and stupid. You don’t know other people’s lives. Let them do them. You do you. Socially shaming people doing their best in a flying-blind situation is irresponsible and cruel. Not singling you out - but you post sparked the thought. 

All we have at our disposal right now, is containment. The system around us has failed. Our healthcare system is going to get slammed, unless we at least try to change the course. If people are still complaining about panic and toilet paper, they’re part of the problem.

What is the fact based evidence that half the population in this country could get infected. I don't think anybody is questioning the containment measures, or the recommendations put forth by the CDC and WHO. What i have a problem with is throwing numbers around, that,[at least not yet],aren't based in fact.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

What is the fact based evidence that half the population in this country could get infected. I don't think anybody is questioning the containment measures, or the recommendations put forth by the CDC and WHO. What i have a problem with is throwing numbers around, that,[at least not yet],aren't based in fact.

It's a educated estimate made by an expert in the field. That's what they get paid to do. You and others just don't want to accept it bc you were told this was a hoax by one political party 2 weeks ago and now it's hard to believe they were all lying. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It's a educated estimate made by an expert in the field. That's what they get paid to do. You and others just don't want to accept it bc you were told this was a hoax by one political party 2 weeks ago and now it's hard to believe they were all lying. 

A senate physician is not an expert in the field. Political discussions are a no-no. One fact though. No one said the corona virus was a hoax. No one

16 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

It's almost like this is an engineered bio-weapon. Is it a coincidence that China has a level 4 bio lab just 2 miles from the Wuhan market where the outbreak started and it was accidentally released.

Except it has been basicly proven to have started in nature in an animal host by scientists from the UK/US/Australia.

More than likely a Malayan pangolin that had a bad time with a bat.

5 minutes ago, genot said:

A senate physician is not an expert in the field. Political discussions are a no-no. One fact though. No one said the corona virus was a hoax. No one

You'd be wrong about that last sentence

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, genot said:

Data scientists provide calculations with the context being, here is what could happen based on what we’ve seen, and the variables of symptoms, testing, etc. 

You call it throwing numbers around. Then you ask people on the internet to give you the facts. Then the same thing repeats.

All you’re doing is deflecting. It’s fine. It’s okay to be uneasy, even scared, about what’s going on. I don’t see the point, however, in arguing over it.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, choon328 said:

People who just shrug this off and say, "It's no big deal bc only the people with compromised immune systems and the elderly are the ones at risk" are terrible people. Those are peoples kids, parents and grandparents that could potentially die. I pray all of you who say that are affected by this in someway. Maybe then you won't be so ******* ignorant.

Exactly.  I have elderly parents and a pregnant daughter in law.  I may not be among the population at risk, but there are those who are close to me that are.  And I am not unique.  I am sure just about everyone on this board has someone close to them, family friends, that are at risk.  I am not in a panic over this, but it is a serious and unknown situation we are all going through.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Lith said:

Exactly.  I have elderly parents and a pregnant daughter in law.  I may not be among the population at risk, but there are those who are close to me that are.  And I am not unique.  I am sure just about everyone on this board has someone close to them, family friends, that are at risk.  I am not in a panic over this, but it is a serious and unknown situation we are all going through.

Yes sir. Mom and Dad are 77 and 80, good health but still at risk They live upstate on a farm in the middle of no were so that helps my worry. Plus my mom has been saving stuff since 1976 for just such a situation. 

• Upvote 2