Prediction: All major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 (Update. MLB, NHL, NASCAR suspending, MLS, NCAA, XFL, Masters cancelled).

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Data scientists provide calculations with the context being, here is what could happen based on what we’ve seen, and the variables of symptoms, testing, etc. 

You call it throwing numbers around. Then you ask people on the internet to give you the facts. Then the same thing repeats.

All you’re doing is deflecting. It’s fine. It’s okay to be uneasy, even scared, about what’s going on. I don’t see the point, however, in arguing over it.

I'm not arguing. That's what i have a problem with.

30 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Except it has been basicly proven to have started in nature in an animal host by scientists from the UK/US/Australia.

More than likely a Malayan pangolin that had a bad time with a bat.

Any proof of this outrageous claim?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

The media does have an agenda, however, to refute fact-based evidence under the guise of ‘its Just the media’ is ignorant. Global health orgs are not the media. Science is not the media. 

People bring outraged about panic is childish and stupid. You don’t know other people’s lives. Let them do them. You do you. Socially shaming people doing their best in a flying-blind situation is irresponsible and cruel. Not singling you out - but you post sparked the thought. 

All we have at our disposal right now, is containment. The system around us has failed. Our healthcare system is going to get slammed, unless we at least try to change the course. If people are still complaining about panic and toilet paper, they’re part of the problem.

Who said it "was just the media"? Try reading what I said. You are singling me out. So f**k off.

1 hour ago, Ken Schroy said:

People saying the media doesn't have an agenda is being blind.

Hi. I am the media. We don’t have an agenda and we certainly aren’t trying to have things that we all enjoy and count on to cover to be canceled. Of course the larger networks have different ways they lean, but the majority of local media is just telling you to take precaution and wash your hands. If your news consumption experience is causing you panic, maybe change the channel. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

There will be 650,000 people in this country, this year, who are outpatients on chemo therapy.  Everyone of them have compromised immunity.  Almost 50 million Americans are over 65.  We have a country with a huge population that's morbidly obese and suffer from some level of diabetes.  Not to mention the millions with heart disease and other complex health issues.

Everyone who compares this to the flu has to at least acknowledge that in this calendar year there were 169 million doses of flu vaccine distributed in the USA.  In spite of that many people actually will die of the flu.  There is no vaccine to mitigate what this virus will actually do. 

The reality is this is a big story.  It impacts virtually ever family, friend or neighbor in this country and globally.  We need to be informed to keep from panicking not to create panic.  Those who attack the free press of the USA are attacking the key institution that allows us to be a functioning democracy.  Information does not create panic.  Information prevents it.

Well put. You move to the front of the class. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Hi. I am the media. We don’t have an agenda and we certainly aren’t trying to have things that we all enjoy and count on to cover to be canceled. Of course the larger networks have different ways they lean, but the majority of local media is just telling you to take precaution and wash your hands. If your news consumption experience is causing you panic, maybe change the channel. 

I'm shocked you are defending the media, lol. The larger media, which is what most people watch, does suck. But carry on. Also, if you disagree with what I'm saying, just ignore me.

16 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Any proof of this outrageous claim?

Yes.  Plenty.  Basically what happened is in an open air market, someone asked for an animal to be slaughtered, the animal had the disease, as it was being chopped up, some of the diseased tissue became aerosolized, was breathed in, imbedded in human tissue and took hold.  That probably happens often.  But, in this instance, the virus was able to replicate and evolved, so that it was able to be passed human to human.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

I'm shocked you are defending the media, lol. The larger media, which is what most people watch, does suck. But carry on. Also, if you disagree with what I'm saying, just ignore me.

Suck compared to what.  Pravda?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, genot said:

I'm not arguing. That's what i have a problem with.

You are arguing. Or you are having a tantrum. Your choice.

Do you thrash this much over the weather forecast? Or, any time someone tells you what to expect? Especially, in the spirit of giving guidance on how to change those expectations?

I think what you actually have a problem with is hearing things you don’t want to hear - be it fear, or be it doubling-down on ignorance imparted by you preferred choice of media outlet.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

Compared to the way it used to be many years ago. Nice try though skippy.

It was never any different.  This is just more  “ back in my day” bs.  You think people just all of a sudden developed the thought of having agendas?  Nothing in life is fact, everything in life is shaped by bias, you always have to disseminate.  If anything, media just imitates life in general.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ken Schroy said:

Sure, whatever you say. This is more generation Z bs.

Generation Z?  Who?  You shouldn’t make assumptions.  Although, as I often have to do in real life, I am always happy to be confused with someone a couple decades younger!  

8 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

Compared to the way it used to be many years ago. Nice try though skippy.

The News hour hasn't changed in decades.  Public broadcasting in this country is as good as it gets anywhere in the world. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You are arguing. Or you are having a tantrum. Your choice.

Do you thrash this much over the weather forecast? Or, any time someone tells you what to expect? Especially, in the spirit of giving guidance on how to change those expectations?

I think what you actually have a problem with is hearing things you don’t want to hear - be it fear, or be it doubling-down on ignorance imparted by you preferred choice of media outlet.

Lol. I think i've been very clear. Don't guesstimate about numbers of people who will get infected, or in turn how many people will die from it, when they have no basis in fact to support that claim. I support all the containment measures. I support the temporary closing of schools and events that draw large crowds. All the social separation and hygiene recommendations by the health professionals.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Generation Z?  Who?  You shouldn’t make assumptions.  Although, as I often have to do in real life, I am always happy to be confused with someone a couple decades younger!  

Well you assumed I was old sooo. lol

10 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

It was never any different.  This is just more  “ back in my day” bs.  You think people just all of a sudden developed the thought of having agendas?  Nothing in life is fact, everything in life is shaped by bias, you always have to disseminate.  If anything, media just imitates life in general.  

Your living in fantasy land. Social media, 24 hour new networks, has changed everything about the way news is reported and why.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

The media does have an agenda, however, to refute fact-based evidence under the guise of ‘its Just the media’ is ignorant. Global health orgs are not the media. Science is not the media. 

People bring outraged about panic is childish and stupid. You don’t know other people’s lives. Let them do them. You do you. Socially shaming people doing their best in a flying-blind situation is irresponsible and cruel. Not singling you out - but you post sparked the thought. 

All we have at our disposal right now, is containment. The system around us has failed. Our healthcare system is going to get slammed, unless we at least try to change the course. If people are still complaining about panic and toilet paper, they’re part of the problem.

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

THE MEDIA IS BIASED says group of people told to think this, hourly, by their preferred media.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Your living in fantasy land. Social media, 24 hour new networks, has changed everything about the way news is reported and why.

You can't argue with those panty wipes. They are brainwashed. It's quite funny actually.

• Thumb Down 1