CB Jeff Okudah

Charles Davis has the Jets taking Jeff Okudah 11th overall with the top 4 tackles all coming off the board. 

The Jets have a huge need for corners, and the run on offensive tackles before they're on the clock makes this choice simpler. Plus, who expected the best corner in the draft to last this long?

What's your thoughts on the Jets once again drafting defense?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105930/article/charles-davis-2020-nfl-mock-draft-10-jeff-okudah-out-of-top-10

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

*If* free agency is postponed until after the draft, I think we’re locked in for an offensive tackle round one.

If that doesn’t happen, and we can sign a tackle or two (RE-sign Beachum and say pickup Vaitai), I’m open to drafting other positions or trading down.

But still probably not a corner - our #1 priority should be protecting Sam, and our #2 priority should be acquiring playmakers on offense.

I’m willing to let corner be addressed in free agency or not at all tbh, and worry about that next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Charles Davis has the Jets taking Jeff Okudah 11th overall with the top 4 tackles all coming off the board. 

The Jets have a huge need for corners, and the run on offensive tackles before they're on the clock makes this choice simpler. Plus, who expected the best corner in the draft to last this long?

Okudah is not gonna be around when we're on the clock at 11 which is a good thing because my head would explode if we went defense yet again. The strength of this draft is OT's and WR's which we are desperately in need of, so it should be either one of those two positions in round 1, and round 2, and round 3. Maybe sandwich a RB in there and I'm good.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, RobR said:

Okudah is not gonna be around when we're on the clock at 11 which is a good thing because my head would explode if we went defense yet again. The strength of this draft is OT's and WR's which we are desperately in need of, so it should be either one of those two positions in round 1, and round 2, and round 3. Maybe sandwich a RB in there and I'm good.

Besides the Lions, what other teams would target him? Just curious to know. If the draft was to play out in such a way I guess it is what it is. I would disagree that the strength of the draft is tackle. It's top heavy at tackle mean while the WR class of next year is a mile better then this year.

42 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105930/article/charles-davis-2020-nfl-mock-draft-10-jeff-okudah-out-of-top-10

Stop Talking Fix My Life GIF by OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

Just now, Beerfish said:

Okudah and Chase Young would be the only D guys I would not become enraged if we drafted in the 1st.   I'd grit my teeth with Okudah but I think he is a legit #1 CB and that is a value position and a position of need.

I really want a tackle prospects, however if he was on board he would have to be our selection to keep or trade back. The Jones guy from Houston, is he worth choosing in the 1st?

9 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Besides the Lions, what other teams would target him? Just curious to know. If the draft was to play out in such a way I guess it is what it is. I would disagree that the strength of the draft is tackle. It's top heavy at tackle mean while the WR class of next year is a mile better then this year.

A player like Okudah doesn't come around every year and he plays a premium position so I can't possibly see him falling to 11. He's that good.

The rest of your post I don't agree with at all. This draft is not only top heavy in OT's but littered throughout with some great players that will be drafted in the first 3-4 rounds. This is also a historically good class of WR's so I'm not sure why you think next years crop will be better.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

What was his 40?  Wasn't it slow for the top corner?

4.48 with a 41" vert and over 11' in the broad. That's pretty fvcking good and then you watch his tape and he will wow you. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Jaguars. They have 0 corners.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Only way I could remotely accept this is if Douglas went all out in FA on the OL and did something like trade for Trent Williams and sign Conklin.

Free agents and trading for aging vets with an injury history is not how you build your oline......especially this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Free agents and trading for aging vets with an injury history is not how you build your oline......especially this year.

Maybe so

But the Jets would be batsh*t insane to simply sign a JAG or two in FA and rely on 3 or more rookies starting on the OL this year.

I can think of few other things that would bring my piss to such a boil.

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Maybe so

But the Jets would be batsh*t insane to simply sign a JAG or two in FA and rely on 3 or more rookies starting on the OL this year.

I can think of few other things that would bring my piss to such a boil.

I'm not saying sign a jag or two in free agency and rely on three rookies. You make one big splash on the line and then you are more than likely signing another average player. It's not like we can pick and choose who we are going to sign.

Draft 3 prospects and one starts right away, possibly another starts by the end of the year and you can start to build depth.

I'm also not writing off Edoga despite his poor season. OT is a tough position to play as a rookie.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Why in gods name would free agency or the draft be delayed, there are not in person events 

What? Teams have players in person to show facilities go over film to see if right fit to meet coaching staff and sometimes work out. Same with draft and from free agents

48 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Panthers are losing James Bradberry
Jaguars lost Jalen Ramsey & AJ Bouye
Giants suck everywhere on Defense
Patrick Peterson + Okudah would be scary on the same Cardinals secondary 

... so between them and the Lions, I count five teams that might be interested before #11.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Postponing FA until after the Draft would really through a severe wrench into organizational planning.  I'd expect teams to lead more towards need than usual.

Imagine the Jets going through the Draft and missing out a high-end OT or even WR.....How much do you think Robby Anderson asks for if the Jets weren't able to hit WR until Round 4?

Jets would by lucky if Okudah fell to #11. LT, Edge, CB, those are the lynchpins after QB. Gilmore turned the Patriots defense around. 

I read this board everyday & I don't see fans unrealistically thing Douglas can turn this thing around with 1 draft. Wirfs is the LT I want but if he wasn't there & Okudah fell, you finagle a way to move up for Josh Jones using one of your #3s. You guys would be doing flips if we came out of this draft with Okudah, Jones & Pittman or Claypool with our other 3. 

12 hours ago, David Harris said:

Okudah is the best CB prospect in a decade, probably since Patrick Peterson.  He’s just about perfect. 

he’s the only guy I could be talked into if the top 4 OT’s Somehow are off the board. Hopefully he goes higher and we don’t even have to consider passing on a talent like this.

Correct - Okudah is that good and has a unique blend of strength and arm length to be a true shutdown, man cover CB.  There are other more enticing picks from a need standpoint but he would be too valuable to pass up at 11

• Upvote 1