What the Duck - Herbert

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

He looks like he aims the ball too much.  Doesn’t just let it rip.  Maybe it’s me, but if you watch him in game action it’s more noticeable than throwing in shorts.  

Probably a side effect of having sh*tty receivers.  You'd see him get into the habit of trying to aim it some games and be like "man, Herbs just let it go."  But then he'd throw a slant or curl rout to Johnny Johnson or Jaylen Redd and it would either fall through their hands or hit them in the head.  So I don't blame him for being gun shy.  Receiving has been dreadful at Oregon the last few years of years.... Breeland kind of carried us through half the games and then the Penn State transfer Juwan Johnson had some big games when he went down.  Hopefully he develops a chemistry with some receivers he has good communication with.  Because he didn't really do that here much and it may have gotten him into some bad habits.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

The book on Herbert is that he doesn't perform as well under pressure.

Can you show me where I can get a copy of this book?

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This guy is the next jake locker kyle boller.

Let’s be honest. Nobody knows how any of these guys will turn out. If they did, Mahomes would’ve gone first in ‘17, and Jackson in ‘18. We would’ve stayed at 6, and had 3 extra second round picks.

so you saying he’s the next Kyle Boller, @RobR saying he sucks, or my saying he’s the best QB in the draft are just opinions.

I will say there are a helluva lot more people in the NFL that agree with me than either of you.

Broadway Ray? He’s busy quoting books that haven’t been written. ?

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Can you show me where I can get a copy of this book?

Let’s be honest. Nobody knows how any of these guys will turn out. If they did, Mahomes would’ve gone first in ‘17, and Jackson in ‘18. We would’ve stayed at 6, and had 3 extra second round picks.

so you saying he’s the next Kyle Boller, @RobR saying he sucks, or my saying he’s the best QB in the draft are just opinions.

I will say there are a helluva lot more people in the NFL that agree with me than either of you.

Broadway Ray? He’s busy quoting books that haven’t been written. ?

We shall see. 

• Upvote 1

I hope Dolphins trade up for Tua or Herbert, both would be awful picks. Tua would be good but his body won't hold up in the NFL and Herbert looks the part but won't cut it unless he goes to Tampa Bay and can just chuck it up to Evans and Godwin.

Damn dolphins are hoarding draft picks like it's toilet paper or something. It'll be hard to screw up picking players with that much draft capital, even for them.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2020 at 7:32 PM, 14 in Green said:

I know you always say that, but there are quite a few people who disagree with you,.

I disagreed with Rob on Edoga (and remind him of my contempt for that pick often ?), but I agree with him 100% on Herbert. Dude was overhyped hot garbage for much of his time at Oregon. And I think Burrow is Andy Dalton/Alex Smith 3.0

• Sympathy 1

On 3/13/2020 at 8:05 PM, MindOverMatter said:

I hope Dolphins trade up for Tua or Herbert, both would be awful picks. Tua would be good but his body won't hold up in the NFL and Herbert looks the part but won't cut it unless he goes to Tampa Bay and can just chuck it up to Evans and Godwin.

Damn dolphins are hoarding draft picks like it's toilet paper or something. It'll be hard to screw up picking players with that much draft capital, even for them.

Idzik says hello

• Haha 1

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

I disagreed with Rob on Edoga (and remind him of my contempt for that pick often ?), but I agree with him 100% on Herbert. Dude was overhyped hot garbage for much of his time at Oregon. And I think Burrow is Andy Dalton/Alex Smith 3.0

Sometimes I wonder just how much of a difference there actually is between a lot of these kids when they come into the NFL.

Look at the QBs taken in the '18 draft. If you're being honest the top 4 of Darnold, Allen, Mayfield and Rosen all went to sh*tty teams, and none of them have really done anything to show they are "special" in their first two years. The only one who has really had success is Jackson. I happened to love him (I think you broke my balls about that, lol) I had him second behind Baker, but who knows how he'd be doing if he went to a team like us?

My point is, most likely Burrow and Herbert are going to be drafted by two crappy teams and put into bad situations. That will make it easy for all of us to sit back and say, "See., I told you so." I just don't understand why these horrible teams think getting the QB first is the best plan. I keep saying if I were a GM, I'd build the rest of my offense before taking a "Burrow or a Herbert".  OL first, then skill guys. Once I'd done that, I wouldn't hesitate to give up as many future picks as I needed to move up and THEN get my QB.

Every so many years a Mahomes or Trevor Lawrence can come along, but those guys are few and far between. The rest of them just seem to blend together.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Sometimes I wonder just how much of a difference there actually is between a lot of these kids when they come into the NFL.

Look at the QBs taken in the '18 draft. If you're being honest the top 4 of Darnold, Allen, Mayfield and Rosen all went to sh*tty teams, and none of them have really done anything to show they are "special" in their first two years. The only one who has really had success is Jackson. I happened to love him (I think you broke my balls about that, lol) I had him second behind Baker, but who knows how he'd be doing if he went to a team like us?

My point is, most likely Burrow and Herbert are going to be drafted by two crappy teams and put into bad situations. That will make it easy for all of us to sit back and say, "See., I told you so." I just don't understand why these horrible teams think getting the QB first is the best plan. I keep saying if I were a GM, I'd build the rest of my offense before taking a "Burrow or a Herbert".  OL first, then skill guys. Once I'd done that, I wouldn't hesitate to give up as many future picks as I needed to move up and THEN get my QB.

Every so many years a Mahomes or Trevor Lawrence can come along, but those guys are few and far between. The rest of them just seem to blend together.

Yes. I have been shouting from the rooftops since about 2012 to rebuild the online, get a blue chip skill player or two, and then go QB. Let some "bridge" QB give the O line a year or two to mesh, then go for the QB. Jackson went to a team with a playoff roster and had the temerity to actually build an offense around him. But that team is run very differently than many. He goes to the browns, Jets, cards etc, and he's probably Akili Smith. Or RG3. He landed in a perfect spot, and if it wasn't for a forward thinking org like Baltimore,  he falls out of the First round. 

Burrow and Herbert are just average talents at best for first round QBs. Tua is broken, has been broken, and will break again. And aside from LJ,  the 2018 class has had to eat an absolute sh*t sandwich from franchises that couldn't find their asses with two hands and a flashlight.

I mean, you draft a QB at #3 after trading up, and then go Defense, Defense, and a tad more defense while essentially ignoring O line and WR? LOL. Idiots. 

• Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Burrow and Herbert are just average talents at best for first round QBs. Tua is broken, has been broken, and will break again. And aside from LJ,  the 2018 class has had to eat an absolute sh*t sandwich from franchises that couldn't find their asses with two hands and a flashlight.

I know why people have there doubts about Burrow but I think he ends up as a good to great QB in this league. The two biggest knocks on Burrow are that he only had the one great year and his arm strength, and both are legitimate concerns.

Then you watch him play and you can see the accuracy, the improvisation, and he's just a field general out there. He's also a tough guy, can run, and looks like he has a love for the game. Even with all of the talent around him he was under duress a lot and always found a way to move the chains and score TD's. 

As for Tua, I've already said I don't think he'll be good at the NFL level because of durability concerns. He's already had three major surgeries (one on each ankle and the hip) and he had tons of time to throw to the best goddamn receiving core I've ever seen.  Herbert was a dink and dunk first read QB and he never impressed me. Only reason he's getting pumped up is because of his size and great arm strength. 

I'm glad we have Sam, but I think you're selling Burrow short. We'll see.

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I understand your point but it's not often that a team is even able to draft a FQB type of player. So when the opportunity strikes you have to take it regardless of the roster composition.

When you end up building a competent roster outside of the QB position you'll keep winning just enough games that keeps you from drafting one of those QB's high and you'll fall into a pattern of mediocrity. It's definitely a slippery slope to navigate.