Will JD take BPA or a Tackle

Was reading a thread here on JD having been mentored by Ozzie who always went with BPA. Seeing how we have so many pressing needs, will JD go with a WR over a Tackle with that 1st pick? The top 4 OL being Thomas, Wirfs, Wills and Becton all pretty much rate evenly. Is Lamb or Jeudy rated higher on JD’s draft board? Personally, I’d go with the Tackle. Sam needs to be protected. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think he’ll go BPA but will have enough sense to gauge how hard he needs to stick to BPA or take a tackle.

maybe BPA is a tackle. We’ll see.

True that. I guess we have to trust in JD. But what if the BPA in the first 3 rounds aren’t OL on his draft board. Oh boy!

BPA can mean two different things. I think what we should start saying is BVA (Best Value Available). You don't take certain positions in the top 10 even if you have a need because you can great value later on (RB) or from 2nd tier guys in FA (Safety).

I do think Douglas will go with the best value.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

BPA can mean two different things. I think what we should start saying is BVA (Best Value Available). You don't take certain positions in the top 10 even if you have a need because you can great value later on (RB) or from 2nd tier guys in FA (Safety).

I do think Douglas will go with the best value.

Well if he follows Ozzie’s way of thinking it will be BPA. 

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

BPA is foolish, the jets are a case study for it.  I also think newsome going bpa is not too true, he has traded down in the 1st has he not? 

Not sure. Was just quoting his philosophy from the article here.

OT will be BPA unless all four are picked before 11

the real truth is that the first player taken at almost every position is almost always not the best - the "professional" guys are terrible at evaluating how talent transitions from College to the NFL 

the forth OT taken can be more valuable than the first safety or wide receiver

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lith said:

You take the player that improves your team the most.  For us, that is likely to be an OT or WR, which are the stengths of this draft and also happen to be weaknesses of the roster.  A GMs job is not amassing talent, it is building the best team.

Macc says oh no nope nah nah 

• Upvote 2

Was reading a thread here on JD having been mentored by Ozzie who always went with BPA. Seeing how we have so many pressing needs, will JD go with a WR over a Tackle with that 1st pick? The top 4 OL being Thomas, Wirfs, Wills and Becton all pretty much rate evenly. Is Lamb or Jeudy rated higher on JD’s draft board? Personally, I’d go with the Tackle. Sam needs to be protected. 

I honestly think it’s very possible that some of the tackles could actually be the BPA. This group is a delight to watch and breakdown. It’s really cool to check into them and then watch the lower tier guys like Peart or Adams etc. the hands, the feet, the punch, the bend and quickness out of the stance. It’s pretty clear at times when doing it that way. These guys are good.

I’m not so sure the Tackles aren’t the best guys at the top of the first rd Hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

BPA is foolish, the jets are a case study for it.  I also think newsome going bpa is not too true, he has traded down in the 1st has he not? 

Nothing wrong with BPA as a strategy. It's the Jets inept execution that's at fault.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I honestly think it’s very possible that some of the tackles could actually be the BPA. This group is a delight to watch and breakdown. It’s really cool to check into them and then watch the lower tier guys like Peart or Adams etc. the hands, the feet, the punch, the bend and quickness out of the stance. It’s pretty clear at times when doing it that way. These guys are good.

I’m not so sure the Tackles aren’t the best guys at the top of the first rd Hands down.

Totally agree. Of course Chase Young Ohkudah cb, Simmons would be the top 3 IMO. Factor in the inevitable QB’s that QB needy teams would reach for and we’re in good shape. Throw in the weapons, Jeudy, Lamb and we could have our pick of the top 2 or 3 tackles on the board. 

• Sympathy 1

I was listening to Bill Polian the other day, he was talking about how the best philosophy going into FA was to build your team so you can play a game BEFORE the draft. This way you’re never handcuffed into picking a certain position. He actually used Houston as an example from last years draft. Everybody knew the needed a LT so Philly jumped them and took Dillard from them

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Web72 said:

I was listening to Bill Polian the other day, he was talking about how the best philosophy going into FA was to build your team so you can play a game BEFORE the draft. This way you’re never handcuffed into picking a certain position. He actually used Houston as an example from last years draft. Everybody knew the needed a LT so Philly jumped them and took Dillard from them

That’s why we need to resign Beachum and trade for Jeffery

That way at 11 we aren’t handucuffed to either drafting Becton/Wills or Jeudy/Ruggs 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Thankfully our new GM seems to know what he’s doing and used to be an offensive lineman to boot.  I’m confident he will get it right.

While I want to believe that as much as the next guy I haven’t seen much other than words and pedigree that signifies JD knows what he’s doing.

Big whiff on the kicker debacle last year and Khalil, while a good try, was a bigger mistake. Is there anything I’m missing from your POV? Serious question.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

While I want to believe that as much as the next guy I haven’t seen much other than words and pedigree that signifies JD knows what he’s doing.

Big whiff on the kicker debacle last year and Khalil, while a good try, was a bigger mistake. Is there anything I’m missing from your POV? Serious question.

Gase had heavy influence on both the Vedvik and Kalil disasters

JD did ok swindling the giants out of multiple picks for Leo- hopefully a good sign

• Sympathy 1

He's going to take an OL and that OL WILL be the BPA. I just don't understand why so many are stuck in 1st gear with this? This draft is loaded with OL and the Jets have probably the biggest need of any NFL team for OL. At 11, the choice is a no brainer. You take the top OL available. You worry about WR later in the draft.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I’m just going off of what his bosses in Baltimore and Philly said.  It doesn’t seem like they are just giving lip service.   Our last 2 GMs literally had no clue or plan with the draft or free agency.  There hasn’t been much Douglas could do since he came in.  At least he tried with Khalil even though it was a whiff. Not gonna judge him on his ability to fix the roster when he came in after the draft and free agency. Plus I’m a glass half full kinda guy even though this team has crushed me for over 50 years of loyalty and I think gase is not the answer.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

That’s why we need to resign Beachum and trade for Jeffery

That way at 11 we aren’t handucuffed to either drafting Becton/Wills or Jeudy/Ruggs 

Yes just love to see Beachum getting bull rushed by Garrett every down. I’d like to see him try that with Becton. 

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Nothing wrong with BPA as a strategy. It's the Jets inept execution that's at fault.  

Mac took Leo and Quinnen  both BPA according to all the powers that be,  hell Darron Lee was rated about where he was taken.  All low priory positions.

• Upvote 1

JD did ok swindling the giants out of multiple picks for Leo- hopefully a good sign

Agreed. The Leo trade was good.

Where’d ya hear that Kalil was a Gase move? That seems like a JD all day to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Drafting a WR at #11 is pointless unless JD fixes 4 out of 5 OL positions in FA with one being an LT. I don't see that happening so I'll be shocked if JD doesn't come away with one of the top four OL in the draft, even if he has to trade up. He's stated many times that protecting Sam is priority one.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

There is no way to know if Gase had any say so at all much less heavy influence unless you have a link that says otherwise.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

Despite the common belief I dont think that the 4 OT's are all rated as close as everyone seems to think. I think each team has 3 ranked closely and the 4th as a potential bust.

The 2 most likely being Thomas and Beckton for different reasons.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.