Giants Expected to Tag Leo

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I hope that Yates is correct here.  I thought that the 5th only escalated to a 4th if the Midgets re-signed Williams before FA.  Not sure if tagging applies as a signing....but I sure hope it does.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I hope that Yates is correct here.  I thought that the 5th only escalated to a 4th if the Midgets re-signed Williams before FA.  Not sure if tagging applies as a signing....but I sure hope it does.

Hopefully. Pick is supposed to upgrade if he is on the roster, right? If they tag him then they own his rights enough to trade him and I imagine there is a cap hold. Maybe that’s enough.

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I thought the language of the trade was simply if Leo was 

"On the Giants roster at the beginning of the league year" 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Would be interested to see if Leo does not sign the tag until after FA begins, how that could effect the pick. Leo doesn't have to sign the tender until way later.

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I thought the language of the trade was simply if Leo was 

"On the Giants roster at the beginning of the league year" 

That would be nice.  I've seen contradictory reports on the precise wording, but we should get some clarity soon - and, hopefully, that future 4th rounder.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, KRL said:

Unreal!!!  Gettleman is really a fool, giving us two picks and now tagging an absolute JAG

This is one of those scenarios where Gettleman may be a bit stuck. Leo seems to think he's worth more than he is. That poses a problem because he won't just sign a solid deal before seeing what the market is. Gettleman really can't let him walk because then he gave two picks for a 6 game rental. That's worse than overpaying for a solid, albeit unspectacular player. He needs to sign him and the value of a 4th vs a 5th is much less than a 3rd and 5th for 6 games. 

He's totally stuck. Sorta like Macc when the trade offers for #3 in last years draft we're equal to what he gave up to move to the same spot the year before. Macc was stuck in his own mind, just like Gettleman is now, and he took the "safe" player in Q. The truth is that Macc should have taken whatever trade back value was there and Gettleman should let leo walk imo. 

But hey... I like a 2021 4th, :) 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

This Giants beat writer doesn't think the 5th will escalate to a 4th:

Where can we see the exact contract details?  This seems dumb. I would think it's simply a 4th if he's on the team in 2020. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Where can we see the exact contract details?  This seems dumb. I would think it's simply a 4th if he's on the team in 2020. 

My understanding was if Leo is on the team as of the new league year. The same way Bell was tagged by the Steelers but never signed so he was never actually under contract.

We'll get a 3rd and a 5th from this unless Leo signs the tag, but he won't. At least not before the deadline.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How comical is this?  Leo tagged.  What a great trade by Douglas, and just a massive blunder by Gettleman.  

We're you in favor of QW being traded, when reports were that a team was offering a 1st?

39 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Wow I thought we had the monopoly on poor GM’s. The Giants taking it to the next level.

Gettleman tagged Leo because he didn't want to get involved in any bidding war. Obviously there's a bunch of idiot GM's out there who think more of Leo, than some do here. Considering that some people here think QW, is another Leo, than douglas must be an idiot also for not taking that 1st offered last year for him.

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I would assume Yates is correct. Cuz when the FA starts, Leo would be on the baby Giants’ roster and not a FA.