Checking In: You feeling good about JD going into FA?

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am cautiously optimistic.  But then again, I ahve a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove not to be worthy of it.

Given the state of the roster, and 9 year playoff drought, I am resigned to the fact that we will have to overpay to get a couple of impact players here.  If we overpay OL and Edge, I can live with that.  ILB and RB, not so much.

For me - it's about what does specifically to address the OLINE in Free Agency.

It's not realistic that you can plug 4/5 holes on the oline in the draft... Feel pretty good about finding our future LT in rnd1, but we need to protect Darnold now. not in 2022, or 2021.... We need to inject competence into that oline (literally) this week. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

For me - it's about what does specifically to address the OLINE in Free Agency.

It's not realistic that you can plug 4/5 holes on the oline in the draft... Feel pretty good about finding our future LT in rnd1, but we need to protect Darnold now. not in 2022, or 2021.... We need to inject competence into that oline (literally) this week. 

Agreed.  Much as I would love to get a guy like Conklin, I am not sure about the price tag.  If we can add a Glasgow and Bulaga or Beachum (bulaga preferably).  Maybe re-sign Alex Lewis as well. The one thing we cannot afford to do is head into draft day knowing we need to find two starting OL.  Add some competent linemen now and then look to upgrade in the draft.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Based on what we’ve read and heard about JD and his overall philosophy regarding free agents, I am optimistic.  Avoid the big money, splashy guys and get a few grinders for decent compensation.  The holes are obvious, just fill some of them. 

From what I'm reading and from what he's said, I feel like he's got the right approach ie; build an offensive line and build around Sam. 

That said, I'm not really stressing FA.  We get what we can get and hopefully it gives him some flexibility approaching what I'm more concerned about; his ability to draft. Drafting is what is going to set the tone for the future of Joe Douglas and his tenure with the Jets.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am cautiously optimistic.  But then again, I ahve a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove not to be worthy of it.

Given the state of the roster, and 9 year playoff drought, I am resigned to the fact that we will have to overpay to get a couple of impact players here.  If we overpay OL and Edge, I can live with that.  ILB and RB, not so much.

TOTALLY agree ! I'm excited to see what JD can/will do. But then again I was the same with Macc. :-(  Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

Oops 

Thought this thread was about what the Rangers GM and somehow found it's way into to the football section

but as long as we are talking about Douglas, the OP used a very appropriate word … uphill

there are sooooo may holes that a combination of uninterrupted luck and skill would be needed to build this team into something. What I would be concerned about would be the back end of these contracts when maybe after a few (hopefully) successful drafts, the club would be hampered by some albatross contracts when they really need premier FA's to put it over the top. So over paying now is OK, but not longer term. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Based on what we’ve read and heard about JD and his overall philosophy regarding free agents, I am optimistic.  Avoid the big money, splashy guys and get a few grinders for decent compensation.  The holes are obvious, just fill some of them. 

If he sticks to that and the Johnsons dont "suggest" any big ticket guys, I think it will bode well for our future. In probably 95% of cases the Day 0 and Day 1/2 guys are fools gold and cripple franchises

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it's afternoon on the first day of free agency and there's nothing on conklin or glasgow.  this means they're still negotiating.  hopefully douglas gets it done and we'll probably know later today or tomorrow which way these guys go.

Not really a fan of signing Conklin to be honest, but think Glasgow would be great signing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Curious to see what the temperature is in here as we begin the trek up hill that is the 2020 season... 

Jets' have been linked to a number of high priced candidates; Thuney, Glasgow, Conklin, B Jones... recently Fowler, and now Harris' name is popping.... Sh*tting bricks, or feeling confident?

Q: If JD has to overpay to convince some players to come to NYJ, who are you OK doing that with? 

2W9og-hlC5AQij6wqOBsYl1f4_rgMLQUqXPPF6oC

The last 2 hours and 39 minutes have been complete  Bull$hit!!!

That much I can say!!   :) :) 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Most first time GMs fail. Unless you get lucky and hit on one. And when have the Jets been lucky?

There was that play one time when a D lineman named Something Davis got a safety in the Silver Dome against detroit and we won the game.  So yeah... we've been lucky man.