Why free agents might not want to come to the Jets: MERGED

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Remember when Rex was here and every free agent was gonna sign here and we ended up with Bart Scott and a fresh-our-of-prison Plaxico Burress and literally nothing else? 

Bart Scott,Eric Decker, Laron Landry, Ladainian Tomlinson, we would have signed Ray Lewis but Tanenbaum preferred Scott who was younger

I don't know what it is. We needed to be aggressive and blow away some free agent offensive lineman like Mangini/Tannenbaum did after the 2007 season when they signed Faneca and Woody. I really thought we were going to do that this off season with guys like Glasgow and Conklin. Especially since we have a young QB.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Of course It's Gase These players aren't even taking time to consider our offer, or take a few days to see if we'll up it. They had their minds made up. no to the jet's. Why. Gase.

That’s true. It’s weird to see so many players signing on the first day. Usually there is an extended waiting time before players sign. Today is strange and not the norm.

Just now, genot said:

Of course It's Gase These players aren't even taking time to consider our offer, or take a few days to see if we'll up it. They had their minds made up. no to the jet's. Why. Gase.

Meh. It could be Gase of course, but I doubt its as big a factor in this particular FA period. Right now is about money. 

Conklin got $20 mil this year. He was my #1 FA target and even I would;t have wanted the Jets to pay that. 

Glasgow 4/$44 mil which isn't too bad but its high for what he was supposed to get. 

Bradberry 3/$45  

Jones $ 92 mil with $40 mil the first 2 years. 

And on and on.   These are not cheap contracts man. If JD doesn't feel like paying that much is prudent I'm ok with it. I don't know how to handle it or what to do with myself, but it's ok I think  :)  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Honestly we need bodies more than anything. Hit the 2nd wave of FAs and I'll be happy. Teams are built through the draft.

I'm trying to talk myself into the same thought process.  hahaha

Good thing for our Text thread huh?  :) 

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Meh. It could be Gase of course, but I doubt its as big a factor in this particular FA period. Right now is about money. 

Conklin got $20 mil this year. He was my #1 FA target and even I would;t have wanted the Jets to pay that. 

Glasgow 4/$44 mil which isn't too bad but its high for what he was supposed to get. 

Bradberry 3/$45  

Jones $ 92 mil with $40 mil the first 2 years. 

And on and on.   These are not cheap contracts man. If JD doesn't feel like paying that much is prudent I'm ok with it. I don't know how to handle it or what to do with myself, but it's ok I think  :)  

You want Rib Eye, your going to have to pay more money than for a top sirloin. Don't complain when the sirloin is half gristle. You get what you pay for.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

LOL

The logical thing is that Douglas is doing the smart thing, and  has put a max price on each player.

I'm happy the Jets aren't being stupid as usual,  and peeing money away just to make a splash on the first day.  Then spending the next 4 years trying to figure out how to get out of a bad contract.

13 minutes ago, genot said:

You want Rib Eye, your going to have to pay more money than for a top sirloin. Don't complain when the sirloin is half gristle. You get what you pay for.

Choice !  :) 

All I'm saying is that it actually looks more like budgetary issues than Gase.  We know all too well what it's like to be the team overpaying for players. I would have been ok with an overpay to Conklin but $20 mil is kinda ridiculous. Especially when he's more than likely going to want more when his contract slips down to $11 mil next year. Id have overpaid for Glasgow too but it might just be a good philosophy to take it down a notch. 

I don't see the Chiefs, Steelers or Pats out there partaking in the Frenzy. It's the Browns, Dolphins, Broncos and the like primarily. It's uncomfortable for us, but maybe it's time we kept better company. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2020 at 10:41 AM, Greenseed4 said:

OP Forgetting one major point.

The new CBA has no punishment for marijuana use. Players who value that freedom will prefer states that are recreational/medicinally legal. 

...and Gase is a goon, so make that FIVE strikes. 

This is not true. Players can still be fined for drug use, they just can't be suspended 

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

Choice !  :) 

All I'm saying is that it actually looks more like budgetary issues than Gase.  We know all too well what it's like to be the team overpaying for players. I would have been ok with an overpay to Conklin but $20 mil is kinda ridiculous. Especially when he's more than likely going to want more when his contract slips down to $11 mil next year. Id have overpaid for Glasgow too but it might just be a good philosophy to take it down a notch. 

I don't see the Chiefs, Steelers or Pats out there partaking in the Frenzy. It's the Browns, Dolphins, Broncos and the like primarily. It's uncomfortable for us, but maybe it's time we kept better company. 

My real concern is not getting deals done with Poole, Robby, and even Jenkins. Especially now that we're losing out on players that could have improved our roster. Us engineering that trade for hopkins, resigning our own free agents, and going all out on glasgow, i would have been satisfied if we did nothing else in free agency

• Upvote 1

Im seriously just sick of the ******* Jets and their constant incompetence, short comings and all out failures. Doesn’t matter who is the GM. This organization has to be one of the worst in allll of sports. The fact they didn’t get Byron Jones, any OT’s and weren’t even in on the Hopkins trade and what that trade does to our draft now...??? Im already giving Douglas and the Jets an F. Next season will be even worse than this last one

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

15 minutes ago, genot said:

My real concern is not getting deals done with Poole, Robby, and even Jenkins. Especially now that we're losing out on players that could have improved our roster. Us engineering that trade for hopkins, resigning our own free agents, and going all out on glasgow, i would have been satisfied if we did nothing else in free agency

Right. I share these concerns. If it turns out that we really wanted to have the cash to sign Robby, Poole and Jenkins, that would lessen some of the disappointment. Id still have liked to see some damned o line signed but oh well. McGovern is still out there. 

But dude... How the Hell did the Jets not get in on trading Bell and a 2nd for Hopkins????   That would have been the dunk of dunks imo.  Everything else would have been gravy. I'd have to think Bell was more attractive than David Johnson. No?

I wonder if we even knew Hopkins was available and if were called.