Why free agents might not want to come to the Jets: MERGED

20 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I was tied up in knots the moment Gase was linked to the Jets. Was proven right as soon as we went 1-7. Ended the year 7-9 against sh*t opponents and your looney toon brain processes this as a win. 

My favorite part about 6-2? It puts idiot logic in full display: Gase gets no blame for 1-7 because Sam but gets full credit for 6-2 because Sam.

200.gif

• Haha 1

whatever you do dont listen to me....            all the best OL want to play for Sam fantasy...? destroyed.

acting as if we could simply SELECT whomever we desired fantasy? destroyed.

players dont give a **** about the Jets, dont respect the Jets, cos? Jets

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

“6-2“ is the newer and even more stupid “back to back conference championship games”. Except that the “6” was propped up on a forgiving and easy schedule, whereas the back to back championship games were beating the likes of Brady and Peyton in the playoffs. So of course you’d side with the “6”.

Remember when Rex went 8-8 with Geno Smith?

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, 32EBoozer said:

NJ is in the top 3 highest combined taxed states in the country. Property, income & sales tax. Wealthy residents are fleeing the state in mass and a middling team with little talent. I have the eeriest feeling that we will be “settling” for 3rd tier talent that’s way overpriced hurting our future ability to retain our young players. There are more attractive places to play on many levels. Although the last 10 years of drafting have been wasted, I don’t see the appeal of spending on Defense in FA. Forget Clowney and sign Jenkins or let him walk and take the 3rd rd. pick in 2021. Protect Sam at all costs with solid short term OL contracts and build a solid nucleus of young cheap talent through the draft before Sam’s 5th year ends. 

What a waste the Idzik and MacDaddy years were. Hoping Douglas can be the guy similar to Ozzie and be here for the next 20 years. 

en masse 

15 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Choice !  :) 

All I'm saying is that it actually looks more like budgetary issues than Gase.  We know all too well what it's like to be the team overpaying for players. I would have been ok with an overpay to Conklin but $20 mil is kinda ridiculous. Especially when he's more than likely going to want more when his contract slips down to $11 mil next year. Id have overpaid for Glasgow too but it might just be a good philosophy to take it down a notch. 

I don't see the Chiefs, Steelers or Pats out there partaking in the Frenzy. It's the Browns, Dolphins, Broncos and the like primarily. It's uncomfortable for us, but maybe it's time we kept better company. 

Uncomfortable, great choice for Jet fans use to coming out of the gate swinging frantically & tiring quickly and being punched in the face & left with a broken nose, 2 black eyes & Trumaine Johnsons no show & 12 million dollar cap hit. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2020 at 7:48 PM, New York Mick said:

No you don’t.

The cost of living is raising faster the a priest’s winkie at a little league game, trying to find affordable housing in a good area is impossible and getting worse, traffic sucks and is getting worse, the weather sucks, english is a second language for 1/2 the population and half of them don’t speak any English, unless you’re rich you’re either surrounded by ghetto hood rats or inbred sister ****ers and the public school system is a joke. 

The stripclubs are really good

Martin County is literally the opposite of everything you just said. LOL.  But that's why I live here and drive 45 minutes to get to WPB for work every day. 

But yes, I would like to leave the state when I retire, but taking my kids away from both sets of Grandparents at this time would be such a heartless move. 

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

It's really starting to look like that.

I mean he's alienated so many players over the last several seasons. They had the Enunwa debacle. You think players in the NFL don't talk to one another? I work in an industry much bigger than the NFL, and we know who to work for and who to avoid. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 3/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, 32EBoozer said:

NJ is in the top 3 highest combined taxed states in the country. Property, income & sales tax. Wealthy residents are fleeing the state in mass and a middling team with little talent. I have the eeriest feeling that we will be “settling” for 3rd tier talent that’s way overpriced hurting our future ability to retain our young players. There are more attractive places to play on many levels. Although the last 10 years of drafting have been wasted, I don’t see the appeal of spending on Defense in FA. Forget Clowney and sign Jenkins or let him walk and take the 3rd rd. pick in 2021. Protect Sam at all costs with solid short term OL contracts and build a solid nucleus of young cheap talent through the draft before Sam’s 5th year ends. 

What a waste the Idzik and MacDaddy years were. Hoping Douglas can be the guy similar to Ozzie and be here for the next 20 years. 

This is a problem with the salary cap situation. It makes Texas and Florida Teams way more attractive. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, last year, Mike Maccagnan paid CJ Mosley $17 million dollars per year—which is roughly 2x the going rate for an ILB—and Mosley still went back to Baltimore and begged them to match it, which they didn’t. 

This past season, rumors were flying that the Jets had offers to trade Le’Veon Bell to KC, Jamal Adams to the Cowboys, and Robby Anderson to the Eagles, and each of those players publicly expressed a desire to remain a Jet and relief at not being traded away from Evil Adam Gase. Imagine being Le’Veon Bell and preferring to stay in this offense and not KCs. But, you babies think that Gase is the problem with pulling free agents here and not the decade-plus of mismanagement and failure that preceded Gase and Douglas? You were all very excited at the prospect of giving a right tackle $21 million dollars per year? You were hopped up to make Graham Glasgow—who is someone you didn’t even know existed a month ago—the highest paid center in the game? Did you want to give up five picks for Stephon Diggs? What deal was signed yesterday that you looked at and said, “that contract should be our contract”? The $8 mil per that the Texans gave Randall Cobb? Is that what’s stressing you out? Marcus Mariota? Again: a bunch of really good teams let players leave and a bunch of bad teams overpaid those players. The Ravens looked at the free agent landscape and made a few trades instead. The Niners, Pats, Chiefs, and Titans shed contracts of decent—but non-essential—players and didn’t blink an eye. But you’re mad because the Lions and Dolphins and Broncos played themselves for a few ok players? As for Gase, the guy most of you wanted instead of him was Mike McCarthy—what great new players did he attract to the Cowboys? He seduced Amari Cooper with a QB contract? Dak Prescott is going to get $35mm per year because he loves Mike McCarthy so much? Please.

Stop whining, you pussies. You’re gross.

Can you pass the troll house cookies over here please?  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No.  The reason is this isn't a team built to win right now AND we don't have more money than anybody else.  Lot's of teams out there have cap space.  

Free agents care about money, and not much else. unless their life is going to be absolutely miserable for years.

Just now, jacarter220 said:

Free agents care about money, and not much else. unless their life is going to be absolutely miserable for years.

Right, and we don't have the money edge, contrary to popular opinion.  That ended the moment pen went to paper on the CJ Mosley contract.  

On 3/15/2020 at 10:57 AM, Larz said:

The perennial winners in the NFL view free agency as a way to round out the roster so they have draft flexibility   The good teams are letting players walk and drafting a replacement  

You can’t build a franchise with free agents 

it will actually be a good thing if JD only signs 1 day 1 player and then spends carefully 

Anyone expecting 5+ starters in free agency will be disappointed 

I am not against spending carefully on the right players but when you sign fant and dont get another lineman and let better linemen go to other teams that is a coconcern You cant force people to sign anywhere but the point is you need to be smart and get player that fit the mold. 

The issue here is the mold with Gase is not a winner, please feel free to show me how Gase is a winner with out a hall of fame qb please?

• Thumb Down 1

33 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I am not against spending carefully on the right players but when you sign fant and dont get another lineman and let better linemen go to other teams that is a concer. You cant force people to sign anywhere but the point is you need to be smart and get layer that fit the mold. 

The issue here is the mold with Gase is not a winner

It’s not even 24 hours yet 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Martin County is literally the opposite of everything you just said. LOL.  But that's why I live here and drive 45 minutes to get to WPB for work every day. 

But yes, I would like to leave the state when I retire, but taking my kids away from both sets of Grandparents at this time would be such a heartless move. 

I’m looking in Martin county to move. NY/NJ is a no PA is most likely a no. The next two are Orlando and Martin County 

17 hours ago, genot said:

My real concern is not getting deals done with Poole, Robby, and even Jenkins. Especially now that we're losing out on players that could have improved our roster. Us engineering that trade for hopkins, resigning our own free agents, and going all out on glasgow, i would have been satisfied if we did nothing else in free agency

Agreed. I'm really looking  forward to understanding the plan. Cuz right about now the only thing I can think of in a positive way is the comp pick aspect of it all.  other than that it's a big whiff. oh and that Fant is the first left tackle signed... so... um there's that. :)   

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Uncomfortable, great choice for Jet fans use to coming out of the gate swinging frantically & tiring quickly and being punched in the face & left with a broken nose, 2 black eyes & Trumaine Johnsons no show & 12 million dollar cap hit. 

That's exactly right. I'm glad you agree. This stuff is weird for us to be sure. Usually we are one of the bigger players on day 1 and it al out never works out. Even Mosely had zero impact other than 2 hours of the season. I have to hope there is an actual plan and we are not just losing out on everyone out there. It's gonna take some time to understand I bet. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's exactly right. I'm glad you agree. This stuff is weird for us to be sure. Usually we are one of the bigger players on day 1 and it al out never works out. Even Mosely had zero impact other than 2 hours of the season. I have to hope there is an actual plan and we are not just losing out on everyone out there. It's gonna take some time to understand I bet. 

Having a mobile QB like Sam Darnold (obviously not Jackson mobile), but mobile enough to use in moving pockets ect. and his ability to throw moving right or left and being very good off script does not warrant PRO BOWLERS at every position the Oline. 

What Sam needs up front is continuity & to keep 5 guys healthy to grow together & get better each week with helping each other out & learning the playbook. 11 Oline changes like we had last year & the multitude of injuries was just ridiculous. The line performed pretty damn well on the road in Baltimore & Sam with just a little bit better blocking showed the spark that we all believe he has & is developing. I think JD looks at the Oline as a unit & not individuals. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetster said:

Having a mobile QB like Sam Darnold (obviously not Jackson mobile), but mobile enough to use in moving pockets ect. and his ability to throw moving right or left and being very good off script does not warrant PRO BOWLERS at every position the Oline. 

What Sam needs up front is continuity & to keep 5 guys healthy to grow together & get better each week with helping each other out & learning the playbook. 11 Oline changes like we had last year & the multitude of injuries was just ridiculous. The line performed pretty damn well on the road in Baltimore & Sam with just a little bit better blocking showed the spark that we all believe he has & is developing. I think JD looks at the Oline as a unit & not individuals. 

Interesting take on the unit vs individuals.  I like that mentality. Now let's just get some rock solid guys to fulfill that wish. Fant hasn't exactly been the model of good health. 

37 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’m looking in Martin county to move. NY/NJ is a no PA is most likely a no. The next two are Orlando and Martin County 

Palm City is Gods country, and the schools are good, not much development,  and the only crime is really what finds it's way up I-95. Let me know if you're in the area, I'll buy you a pint over at Carsons or Castaways.

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2020 at 11:27 AM, varjet said:

New York, New Jersey, California and Illinois are the top tax states.  I wish I could move to Florida.  

Virginia, NC, MA, WI, MN, among others, have relatively high taxes. 

NY, NJ and CA alone have 6 teams, or over 20% of the NFL teams.  

So if I am an NFL player I would prefer to play for a low/no tax team, but it is hard to avoid the state taxes.  It is definitely a competitive disadvantage that should have been addressed in the CBA.

The Raiders moving from California to Nevada is not lost on any FAs or their agents.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Tomlin almost took a concusses Mason Rudolph to the playoffs.

Sam comes back and almost drags Gase’s 3+ years of head coaching futility to 8-8, but T0mvid19 wants to apply that credit to Gase. Amazing.

The ridiculous man love Gase gets for a 7-9 record

• Upvote 2