Jump to content

Time to move for Trent Williams


Time to Move for Trent Williams?  

77 members have voted

  1. 1. Because the tier 1 of free agent offensive lineman are off the table, does your opinion change on making a move for Trent Williams?

    • I'm willing to part with our 2nd round pick and pay big money over 4 years
      0
    • I'm willing to part with one of our 3rd round pick and pay big money over 4 years
    • No way. Keep the draft picks and the $, we'll figure it out


Recommended Posts

Just now, Jets723 said:

I never wanted him.  I have no interest in trading a premium pick and carrying a huge cap hit when we can easily draft a bigtime OL in the draft especially with his injury issues 

read the post before yours. Their asking price has to come down - he might even just get released. I never wanted him for a pick either but if it's a 6th, sure why not.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

read the post before yours. Their asking price has to come down - he might even just get released. I never wanted him for a pick either but if it's a 6th, sure why not.

I still rather just build the OL through the draft along with the type of OL signings we have done so far like Mcgovern and Van Roten.  We could use that money to plug other holes 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

I still rather just build the OL through the draft along with the type of OL signings we have done so far like Mcgovern and Van Roten.  We could use that money to plug other holes 

No doubt we should still draft a T at 11. If we can pick up Williams for scraps I think we should - maybe he works out. We could have Williams/Wirfs at LT/RT. That sounds a lot better than Fant/Edoga.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

Even though I voted "No", it was mostly because of the 4 year deal for big $. I'd still rather just draft one at 11, but if they gave up a 3 (or lower) for him, it wouldn't be awful. Length of contract & $/year would be the issue

He's probably getting released at this point. A 6th might do it. ?‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why would you not go with Jason Peters instead?  Sign him for two years, draft either your LT or your RT this year, and then do the opposite the following year. 

Why tie up $17+ million in a guy who has not played for a while and has some serious health issues? 

Why would you give up draft capital to do it?

There is a whole lotta why's without good answers surrounding this guy.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

I'd have no issue with that. The question is do you give him the $20 million/per he is supposedly asking for? Not sure I would

If he could be had for a 6th round pick, and a front loaded contract, sure....sign him and see what happens.

Otherwise

Image result for I'll pass meme

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Why would you not go with Jason Peters instead?  Sign him for two years, draft either your LT or your RT this year, and then do the opposite the following year. 

Why tie up $17+ million in a guy who has not played for a while and has some serious health issues? 

Why would you give up draft capital to do it?

There is a whole lotta why's without good answers surrounding this guy.

Age is the big difference. 31 vs 38. I agree there are big issues with Williams but if he can be had for a 6th or as a FA it's worth taking a shot with a well structured contract. You get potentially 3-4 years of a high caliber LT vs maybe a year of a RT w/Peters.

Key factor being a well structured contract which Douglass seems to be capable of so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Even though I voted "No", it was mostly because of the 4 year deal for big $. I'd still rather just draft one at 11, but if they gave up a 3 (or lower) for him, it wouldn't be awful. Length of contract & $/year would be the issue

That’s the big issue for me as well. A third rounder seems fair given his pedigree and position, but it’s the cost after we acquire him that gets me most nervous - especially considering he didn’t play last year and his medical history. 

Although I think we’re all just rooting for him to be moved at this point regardless - it’s doubtful the Redskins take an OT @ pick 2 and if Trent goes to a top 10 pick team, that’s likely one less OT off the board before us.

My best case scenario still does not include us acquiring him. I wanna retain Robby. I want Jedrick Wills @ 11 and the best WR in round 2.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

Age is the big difference. 31 vs 38. I agree there are big issues with Williams but if he can be had for a 6th or as a FA it's worth taking a shot with a well structured contract. You get potentially 3-4 years of a high caliber LT vs maybe a year of a RT w/Peters.

Key factor being a well structured contract which Douglass seems to be capable of so far.

I still wouldn’t given the cap hit and injury 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

100% go get him but nothing more than a 3rd. Guys an elite LT, fills a huge need and opens up more flexibility for us in the draft. Resign Robby, get Trent, draft Jeudy/lamb at 11 and we have a formidable offense.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we can get him for one of our 3rd’s then I’d absolutely take him.

Pretty sure he graded out as the best passblocking LT in the league in 2018 before sitting out last year.

He’s a perfect scheme fit and a proven commodity. I’m still not sure why so many are convinced that all of these rookie OT’s are going to pan out. OT has one of the highest bust rates of any position in the 1st round over the last 15 years.

Out of the consensus Top 4 OT’s, odds are one will be a pro-bowler, one or two will be solid starters, and the other one or two will be straight up busts.

I’m all in favor of getting a proven, all-pro caliber LT for a 3rd and then grabbing our top ranked WR at #11.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think at this point, we’ve done a lot of upgrading across the OL - I’d rather let him go to Cleveland and we draft a OT.

With the money that might have been allocated to Williams, we can grab Clowney.

I wouldn’t be mad if we did trade for Trent though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Untouchable said:

If we can get him for one of our 3rd’s then I’d absolutely take him.

Pretty sure he graded out as the best passblocking LT in the league in 2018 before sitting out last year.

He’s a perfect scheme fit and a proven commodity. I’m still not sure why so many are convinced that all of these rookie OT’s are going to pan out. OT has one of the highest bust rates of any position in the 1st round over the last 15 years.

Out of the consensus Top 4 OT’s, odds are one will be a pro-bowler, one or two will be solid starters, and the other one or two will be straight up busts.

I’m all in favor of getting a proven, all-pro caliber LT for a 3rd and then grabbing our top ranked WR at #11.

No way for a third.  For a late round pick I would consider it.  But given his cap hit and coming off a big  injury no way I give up a premium draft pick.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm for waiting the whole scenario out. Wait till he's cut. Pass if he's not released. Give up no draft capital.

If he is released, then offer him an incentive laden contract - which he won't like, but I think Williams and his agent are overestimating the market and the terms teams are willing to agree to for his services. 

The Jets have gotten into lots of cap trouble before paying for players based on past and not future/projected production. No reason to repeat that mistake again. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'd have no issue with that. The question is do you give him the $20 million/per he is supposedly asking for? Not sure I would

JD would never give this guy 20 mil...trading a 3 might do it but 20 mil? hahahaha no chance...you see the kinds of contracts he has been giving out so far. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The real draw for wanting Trent Williams is  he is a top 5 LT and a perfect scheme fit. If we are looking for athletic OL, that drops the big 4 OT’s in the draft to 3. Thomas isn’t athletic and may not be a scheme fit.

You trade for Trent, re-sign Robbie, and then you can go grab Lamb, Jeudy, or Ruggs. We might have a functioning offense after that!

this right here ^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

JD would never give this guy 20 mil...trading a 3 might do it but 20 mil? hahahaha no chance...you see the kinds of contracts he has been giving out so far. 

I don't think he'd trade a third either.

I've been impressed with his contract structures so far. I think he could put together a team friendly contract that would work here.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

JD would never give this guy 20 mil...trading a 3 might do it but 20 mil? hahahaha no chance...you see the kinds of contracts he has been giving out so far. 

Nor should he.  We can’t afford to give up premium draft picks given our failure in the draft the last few years.  On top of that giving that big of cap hit when is coming off a big injury is too risky 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I'm for waiting the whole scenario out. Wait till he's cut. Pass if he's not released. Give up no draft capital.

If he is released, then offer him an incentive laden contract - which he won't like, but I think Williams and his agent are overestimating the market and the terms teams are willing to agree to for his services. 

The Jets have gotten into lots of cap trouble before paying for players based on past and not future/projected production. No reason to repeat that mistake again. 

This is a good plan...I changed my my mind. No picks but if he is released then make a play for it. While there is a lot of need for LT in the league I am not sure how high people will bid for him after being off for a year, not being able to put on a helmet, wanting a lot of money, not being able to take a physical and getting older. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...