Jets Sign George Fant

Mo Lew

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Hopefully this also means they’re going to target quality rb slashers to get through the holes quicker.  

I keep thinking about Antonio Gibson Memphis in the mid rds or maybe rd 3 now after he ran that 4.39

anyone with a WR/RB slash with height is probably giving Gase wet dreams

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000001099011/Antonio-Gibson-weaves-through-defenders-on-explosive-run

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Cheaper than reported, and with an easy out after 1 year if needed.  Provides a veteran presence, but doesn't prohibit the Jets from adding an OT high in the draft at all.

As I said at the start, a 1 year deal with two team options tacked on

7 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Cheaper than reported, and with an easy out after 1 year if needed.  Provides a veteran presence, but doesn't prohibit the Jets from adding an OT high in the draft at all.

Also they keep control on the cheap in years 2 and 3 if he turns out to be good

Didn't read all the comments so I'm sure this was mentioned already but seems like Fant was a project and still has upside. Former basketball player who did not play much football when he was drafted. Played a lot as a TE  I think JD realizes he needs to think a bit outside the box and look for guys like this. Hopefully he has a good eye for O-line talent and he can help Fant realize his full potential. Here's a link to a breakdown of Fant. 

"Fant is still a bit raw. Set to enter his fifth year in the NFL, he only just turned to football as a fifth-year senior at Western Kentucky. Before that, he was a college basketball player. 

And while he was used primarily as a blocking tight end with the Seattle Seahawks, he did show well last year when stepping in for injured Pro Bowl tackle Duane Brown. He is a player who has shown upside the past three years. Now, the Jets are hoping he realizes all that potential. His athleticism and footwork have helped him transition from college basketball to now a starting job in the NFL in just five years." Seth Everett from an SI Article

15 minutes ago, SR24 said:

So, it is a one year prove it deal.  Easy to move on in a year if we find a replacement/upgrade in the draft.  And if he turns out to be a player, we hve him under cotnrol for two seasons at reasonable starter $$$. 

And if he sucks, it is a lousy deal no matter what we pay him, but at least we can get out after a year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lith said:

So, it is a one year prove it deal.  Easy to move on in a year if we find a replacement/upgrade in the draft.  And if he turns out to be a player, we hve him under cotnrol for two seasons at reasonable starter $$$.

Yep I don't hate this move but it can't be the only free agent OL move. We gotta bring in more like Van Roten/McGovern+ another body at OL. Also OT at #11 is becoming less and less likely as free agency continues so we really need to make something happen maybe even explore that Trent Williams trade a little more seriously 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I keep thinking about Antonio Gibson Memphis in the mid rds or maybe rd 3 now after he ran that 4.39

The one guy i want in the draft is Edwards-heliare but i doubt we’re getting him.  

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

Yep I don't hate this move but it can't be the only free agent OL move. We gotta bring in more like Van Roten/McGovern+ another body at OL. Also OT at #11 is becoming less and less likely as free agency continues so we really need to make something happen maybe even explore that Trent Williams trade a little more seriously 

Agreed.  I still think we bring in at least two more guys on OL.  Maybe Van Roten and another guy.  If we are going the 2nd tier FA rather than proven starter route, then we need to bring in a few guys to compete.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You would think that should have been Leveon, but not so much.  Gase did bring in Ty Montgomery as well, who is a tweener.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

You would think that should have been Leveon, but not so much.  Gase did bring in Ty Montgomery as well, who is a tweener.  

Ty Montgomery fumbled a couple times early and they lost trust in him but yes the team needs someone with "edge" speed maybe more than 1 of these players

I know it's a thread about linemen but if they decide Ruggs at 11 to replace Robby helps Sam the most, I can see the logic. 

Gase's offense was the least explosive in football last year 

adding more linemen doesn't really make things more explosive

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lith said:

Agreed.  I still think we bring in at least two more guys on OL.  Maybe Van Roten and another guy.  If we are going the 2nd tier FA rather than proven starter route, then we need to bring in a few guys to compete.  

I'd love to see a Trent Williams trade, McGovern signed and then Fant/Edoga compete at RT. 

16 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Also they keep control on the cheap in years 2 and 3 if he turns out to be good

Which is good for two reasons beyond just winning the deal:

1) if he is great in year one and we want to extend him long-term, we have some Leverage to extend him at a number that would be a discount compared against the going rate for free agent left tackles but would still be a win for him by increasing his salary in those next two years and

2) if by some magic both he and edoga turn out to be terrific and we drafted a tackle Prospect who panned out, he would immediately become a very valuable trade chip

Of course, that's all predicated on him panning out. And there's real risk that he doesn't. But this is a deal with serious upside for the Jets

21 minutes ago, SR24 said:

If we are trying to build something long term, and I think with a young QB and a em still not very close to the 'promised land', then a 2nd round pick probably IS too steep. Mainly b/c T.Williams is such a risk and will require such a large financial investment.

Furthermore, Washington has very little leverage here. So I don't blame the Jets for balking at giving up a 2nd rounder. If they luck into a stud OT in Rd. 1, that 2nd rounder could yield them a stud WR. Its a critical piece to their rebuild.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ty Montgomery fumbled a couple times early and they lost trust in him but yes the team needs someone with "edge" speed maybe more than 1 of these players

I know it's a thread about linemen but if they decide Ruggs at 11 to replace Robby helps Sam the most, I can see the logic. 

Gase's offense was the least explosive in football last year 

adding more linemen doesn't really make things more explosive

I’ve been talking about the merits of Ruggs at 11 in the draft forum.  He probably fits what Gase wants the best, plus he has some elite characteristics that the other receivers do not posses.  This team needs guys who can make plays when the ball is in their hands.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

2) if by some magic both he and edoga turn out to be terrific

im wondering if the Jets draft a RT and move Edoga to another position. 

by the way to get this back on to Fant - not sure if this has been posted - a film breakdown from 2 years ago when he started at RT for Ifedi 

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/film-breakdown-george-fant-auditions-at-right-tackle-for-seahawks-stAI1voK1EW-Plw0TG1i-w

• Post of the Week 1

Douglas realized after the signings of top free agent offensive linemen to other teams and others staying with their teams the most important way to fix this offensive line is in this draft. We seen this done excellently done by the Cowboys.  In this upcoming draft he has to score on at least two linemen in this draft.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

This is making it sound much better.

The original report of $13.7MM guaranteed - as in fully guaranteed - made me cringe. In that case, it’s a horrid signing unless he pans out. Other wise it’s 1 year $14MM (same annual rate as a far more accomplished tackle in Conklin). Yes Conklin got more guaranteed, but then you’re comparing 2 years @ $14MM vs 1 year @ $14MM plus (maybe) a higher draft pick or even more expensive signing next year to try again.

This is far better, if we weren’t going to lock in on a mutli-year guarantee. This is stopgap $, unless he gets badly injured of course, and on an annual basis is roughly what Winters got at guard when factoring in inflation.

As @derp mentioned above, they’re likely going to go with the better 2 out of 3 for both tackle slots between a 2020 draft pick (likely at #11, depending on who’s there) plus Edgoga and Fant. It’s repeating Maccagnan’s strategy from 2016 (sign Beachum & that other stiff just so there are 2 tackles heading into the draft, and then took Shell), though presumably Douglas won’t go with 2 stopgaps and then still wait until round 5 to make his move.

Planned worst case scenario (beyond all of them flopping) is our 1st rounder is a keeper and we draft another tackle in 2021.

There’s also the possibility that he’s versatile enough to move inside if he’s the 3rd best tackle. Or even lower on the likelihood scale, but possible, that we eat half the money and then trade him to someone who loses a starting tackle in late Aug or by midseason if he’s the odd man out among our 3 tackles.

...or we just signed a $10MM/yr blocking TE lol. 

jetnation must be part brit for all the whingeing that happens around here....     as for the signing....

1st- you go "huh?"

2nd- you look at some stuff, read, analyze.

3rd- you realize jd believes he can play

mrcoops/jif/krl said all the stuff that needsa be said.

jd is assembling his OL, we'll see how good of a job he does selecting and how good a job the OL coach does,

who has had some success....

On 3/16/2020 at 9:26 PM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Just to put this signing in perspective, Brandon Shell graded out better than him last year according to PFF. 

Do the PFF ratings take into consideration the quality of the opposition?   I know Seattle plays the Niners and their fierce front 4 twice a year and I saw footage of Fant playing against Myles Garrett and doing OK.   
Shells level of competition might not have been the same, but I dont know how or if that is considered by PFF.

52 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Just beat me to it.

Must...type...faster.

Me too. It was worthy of a new thread considering how many fans didn't like the Fant singing. It is great to see him go against Garrett.

17 hours ago, Welp said:

This is a lot of wishful thinking.  We’re not talking about a second year player here. Guys don’t go from the 62nd ranked Tackle to a quality player year 5 into their career. 

For your own good, please don’t fall for this.  He’s back-up level tackle and will remain that way.   He’ll likely start for us, but hopefully not for very long.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Welp said:

Fant might not work out but to ignore the multiple film breakdowns of his play
against good defenses is shortsighted.  I like what Baldinger did because he
included some plays where Fant got beat but he was able to recover and not
let the play turn into a disaster.  Hopefully Douglas can follow in Ozzie
Newsome's footsteps and find "under the radar" players who outperform their
contracts

Follow up by Pauline on Fant and Conklin, the bolded part is interesting:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/inside-scoop-nfl-free-agency-deals/

What happened with the Jets’ pursuit of OL Jack Conklin?

(7:00) After talking to numerous people around the league, Pauline is led to believe that the Jets didn’t want to go over a certain price for Conklin. Additionally, he notes that he was told that some of the coaching staff, including assistant OL coach Derek Frazier, was telling people after the NFL Combine that he was not in favor of signing the offensive lineman. That’s because he considered him to be an unathletic right tackle prospect.

After not getting into a bidding war for Conklin, the Jets moved their attention to Seahawks OL George Fant. And while Pauline notes that some Jets fans view this as a panic move, he says that it’s quite the opposite. In fact, the Jets have been interested in Fant for numerous weeks, which Pauline first reported at the NFL Combine. And on Monday, they were calling him throughout the day to check on his status.

During the NFL Scouting Combine, @TonyPauline mentioned that the #Jets would have interest in #Seahawks OT George Fant.

With Conklin, Thuney, and Vaitai off the market, keep an eye on this.

Original report: http://bit.ly/2Pk2F8a

5:40 PM - Mar 16, 2020

Pauline says that the Jets find Fant most appealing because of his athleticism. This is important because as Pauline noted before, head coach Adam Gase wants to use wide splits on the line this season and Fant fits in perfectly with that. Furthermore, Pauline believes that if Fant is properly coached and developed, the Jets got a steal as he is a guy who could play left tackle and has a high upside.

In this segment, Pauline and Herman continued to talk about the Jets and their plans on the offensive line, including what they think the Jets might do in the upcoming 2020 NFL Draft.

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Welp said:

Watching this gave me flashbacks as to how badly Garrett abused Beachum when we played them.  The one thing that Sam needs to work on is getting rid of the ball faster.  Wilson is superb in that regard...

• Upvote 1