Jump to content

Jets Sign George Fant


Mo Lew
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

and the whole "may play RT" seems to be just Jetnation talk...

he's signed to be the LT

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/george-fant-jets-left-tackle-1.43343131

Seems pretty clear that he's been signed to be the LT. He has the highest PYA salary of any guy on the line - that's an LT's contract.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Seems pretty clear that he's been signed to be the LT. He has the highest PYA salary of any guy on the line - that's an LT's contract.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned is Seattle has kept him as a LT/TE hybrid. He is quite slim, so he could easily gain 20 pounds or so and be more stout at point of attack and not lose explosiveness. From an athleticism and build statement at 320 he is essentially a clone of Wirfs. PFF hates it but most analysts think he can become a very solid LT. One thing about SFF grading is that they expect "infinite" pass protection to the point the QB throws the ball, so many of the "pressures" that Fant gave up were when RW held the ball for like 5 seconds.  He is also a perfect and I mean perfect fit for the wide split OL Gase wants to move to. I think he can really surprise

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah?  Well that signing was almost universally panned on JN.  Exactly zero people here thought Fant was here to fill the hole at LT, neither in the short or long-term.

Now all of a sudden the narrative has shifted to "WHY DID WE DRAFT BECTON WHEN WE HAD FANT!"  Laughable.  

I was happy with the Fant signing from the get go. Wanted Wirfs before the draft. So you're wrong about your zero assertion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, freestater said:

I was happy with the Fant signing from the get go. Wanted Wirfs before the draft. So you're wrong about your zero assertion. 

So you really felt Fant solved the LT issue upon his signing?  Show us the receipts, sir.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, freestater said:

Bumping this for the "Wirfs iZ a RT, wE nEEdeD an Lt!" crowd. We signed our LT a month and a half before wasting a pick on Becton.

Do people really need to necro 2 year old threads?  I never see the point of it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2020 at 9:13 PM, ZachEY said:

As soon as I'm done googling him, I will return with a strong opinion of this.  Please wait.

A friendly reminder that you’re rarely wrong when you don’t have to have an opinion on everything!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I'm sorry, but this is some hindsight BS, and I say that as someone who praised the signing. 

We didn't have an LT on the roster, so we took two good swings at it: a FA with upside, and a draft pick. If both hit, we had bookend tackles; if one hit and one didn't, we had a LT. Drafting Wirfs at 11 would have meant our only option at LT was Fant, and we obviously (and correctly) weren't comfortable with that (if the league thought Fant would be anything near this good at LT his price would have been much higher). It would have been lunacy to put all our eggs in the Fant basket with what we knew at the time.

Yes, Fant ended up panning out beyond our wildest dreams, and if you could go back in time and redraft you probably take Wirfs as the bookend RT there. But given the state of the team's knowledge heading into that offseason, Fant+Becton was a smarter, more risk-limiting move than Fant+Wirfs.

Good post. Opinions based on hindsight is what we all do as sport fans. Keeps the posts flowing. Becton and his issues we're hard to forsee.At Louisville, all he had to do was walk on the field and scare the sh.. out of most d-llineman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I'm sorry, but this is some hindsight BS, and I say that as someone who praised the signing. 

We didn't have an LT on the roster, so we took two good swings at it: a FA with upside, and a draft pick. If both hit, we had bookend tackles; if one hit and one didn't, we had a LT. Drafting Wirfs at 11 would have meant our only option at LT was Fant, and we obviously (and correctly) weren't comfortable with that (if the league thought Fant would be anything near this good at LT his price would have been much higher). It would have been lunacy to put all our eggs in the Fant basket with what we knew at the time.

Yes, Fant ended up panning out beyond our wildest dreams, and if you could go back in time and redraft you probably take Wirfs as the bookend RT there. But given the state of the team's knowledge heading into that offseason, Fant+Becton was a smarter, more risk-limiting move than Fant+Wirfs.

The guy who had dogged it in college was more risk-limiting than the guy who broke the bench press record at Iowa (an o-line factory)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And to put this debate another way, @freestater:  Playing RT for Tom Brady is a very different situation than playing LT for Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson.

Still waiting for you to prove your dazzling foresight on Fant, btw.

Yeah...I stopped taking homework assignments like 30 years ago. You want to see my comments from back then, knock yourself out. I think you may be overestimating just how much I give a **** about your opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, freestater said:

Yeah...I stopped taking homework assignments like 30 years ago. You want to see my comments from back then, knock yourself out. I think you may be overestimating just how much I give a **** about your opinion. 

If you're going to make an assertion that you were on board with the Fant signing unlike basically everyone else that was against it or neutral about it, then you need to be able to back that up.  Your first post in this thread was yesterday.  I would have expected to see even one post from you earlier on in this thread about it if you were in favor of it, no?

This necro was silly.  There are enough reasons to say the Becton pick was bad without needing to bring Fant into it.  But you did it and now are getting defensive about it.  So, yeah, I do think you "give a f**k".  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I recall, picking 11 it was not certain whether the Jets would be able to draft a LT, and it was also not certain if Becton could play LT.  Draftniks thought Wirfs was a G/RT at best because his arms were short.  
 

Fant was signed for 2 years guaranteed to play/backup at either T.   The thought was that he was expensive and JD could move on after 2 years. 
 

The aggressive option would be to move Becton back to LT and Fant to right, and not sign Moses or a real veteran.   I don’t like that.  The Jets could also start the year with Fant at LT and move Becton to RT with an eventual move to LT when Fant’s contract expires.  Both options depend on a inexperienced backup.  
 

I would prefer to give Fant an extension for a modest term, 1-2 years, move Becton to RT with the opportunity to play LT during his fifth year option.  This will cost the Jets more money.   Given the uncertainty of the Jets OL pipeline it would be better to sign an OT backup.  Three OTs will play slot.   Edoga and McDermott should not be on the team in 2021.  
 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 3/16/2020 at 9:17 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

Big time athlete.

This wide split stuff may be realz.

Played one year of college football, 4 of hoops.  Missed 1 full year in NFL due to injury, a good chunk last year.

If it's possible to still be Raw at 27, Can't is probably it.

Nailed it!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2020 at 2:37 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I like Fant and I am glad they signed him.  The money seems high, but I think all the money seems high now.  In a year or two it won't seem so high.  I'm no expert on Fant, but I don't think he is horrible.  He has a tremendous upside and seems to fit what they want to do. 

 

 

Nostra-dominator 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2020 at 9:32 AM, JiFapono said:

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about Fant.  What I do know is he's big athletic freak of a man and Joe Douglas is supposed to be an expert on OL, so, IDK maybe see how it plays out before we rip this signing apart?  There is some good film on him out there, Seattle has been a top 5 running team in the league for a few seasons now.  

Maybe a diamond in the rough...

 

Literally should be sitting at top of a mountain and we should risk our lives seeking this knowledge. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...