Jets Sign George Fant

Mo Lew

4 minutes ago, extmenace said:

It would appear so. Considering he signed a short term deal there. The jets are not a prime destination....and the browns have a significantly more talented team even though their record might not have shown it last year.

It was about the money and making the offer. JD wasn't  aggressive  enough. The Browns are arguably  worse than us. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

It was about the money and making the offer. JD wasn't  aggressive  enough. The Browns are arguably  worse than us. 

The browns have a significantly better roster than the jets at every position except QB

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’m not sure why some would’ve been excited about signing a guy like Vaitai but find signing Fant laughable.

Now go sign, let’s say, Van Roten and McGovern and re-sign Alex Lewis.

LT Andrew Thomas 

LG Greg Van Roten

C Connor McGovern

RG Alex Lewis

RT George Fant

Not anything to write home about but that has the potential to at least be a league wide average OL on paper, which is leaps and bounds better than what Darnold has had since he’s been here.

Beachum Edoga Harrison Winters Fant is likely what they’re looking at. Going to miss on the 4 big OTs likely. Lewis would have been resigned if they really wanted him to be before the free agency period started. 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Beachum Edoga Harrison Winters Fant is likely what they’re looking at. Going to miss on the 4 big OTs likely. Lewis would have been resigned if they really wanted him to be before the free agency period started. 

Winters stinks.  Get him out of here

I would rather have Compton at RG

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’m not sure why some would’ve been excited about signing a guy like Vaitai but find signing Fant laughable.

Now go sign, let’s say, Van Roten and McGovern and re-sign Alex Lewis.

LT Andrew Thomas 

LG Greg Van Roten

C Connor McGovern

RG Alex Lewis

RT George Fant

Not anything to write home about but that has the potential to at least be a league wide average OL on paper, which is leaps and bounds better than what Darnold has had since he’s been here.

Bro that line is bottom 5 ?

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

LOL! 

Professional career

Fant was expected to go undrafted after playing only a single year of playing tight end at the collegiate football level. Due to his limited experience, Fant was not one of the 15 collegiate tight ends to attend the NFL Scouting Combine. On March 29, 2016, he attended Western Kentucky's pro day, along with Brandon Doughty, Tyler Higbee, Prince Charles Iworah, and 11 other prospects. Fant was listed as an offensive lineman during WKU's pro day and weighed in at 296 lbs, 26 lbs heavier than his playing weight of 270 lbs during the season.[6] He impressed the Seahawks' co-director of player personnel Trent Kirchner with his athletic ability and worked out at multiple positions including: linebacker, defensive end, defensive tackle, tight end, and offensive tackle. Although he didn't have game film, he was able to impress enough with his athletic ability and size that the Seahawks signed him solely based on a single workout. Offensive line coach Tom Cable had to make the decision between Fant and another offensive line prospect but chose Fant because he was a "long-armed athlete".[2][7]

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Winters stinks.  Get him out of here

I would rather have Compton at RG

Oh I want him gone too. I was just thinking of the worst line possible. I have no idea why they haven’t cut him yet. It’s a free and clear cut. And he’s awful. 

37 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’ve watched plenty of Fant over the years.  Decent run blocker.  Mediocre at best pass protector who Wilson made look better than he is

But he is better than Edoga who totally sucks

Does he have potential to get better? I’ve never seen him play. Watching some film breakdowns and he looks athletic. 

Walter Jones on George Fant.  From ESPN Seattle interview with Jones.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/813494/walter-jones-seahawks-brown-could-be-remembered-as-an-all-time-great/?

As far as the offensive line goes, Jones thinks bringing Fant back is most important for 2020 and beyond.

“George Fant has done a lot here … I think he had an opportunity to learn a lot from a great guy in Duane Brown, so I think that’s one guy you’ve got to try and get back,” Jones said. “I’m fearful for him because I know once he goes out there and tests the market he’s got enough tape on film, they had him playing (as) an extra blocking tight end and then there was a couple of games where Duane missed and he got an opportunity to go out there and get stuff on film in tough situations.”

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh I want him gone too. I was just thinking of the worst line possible. I have no idea why they haven’t cut him yet. It’s a free and clear cut. And he’s awful. 

Winters is awful and a cancer.  

The Fant move makes more sense if they sign Peters or Beachum and move Fant to LG and the OT we get at 11 starts at RT

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No reason to rush to cut him until we have a replacement on the roster.  He can be cut at any time until start of season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Does he have potential to get better? I’ve never seen him play. Watching some film breakdowns and he looks athletic. 

He is what he is he’s been in the league 4 years now and overachieved considering his origin

41 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’ve watched plenty of Fant over the years.  Decent run blocker.  Mediocre at best pass protector who Wilson made look better than he is

But he is better than Edoga who totally sucks

30 million back-up with a previous knee injury.  Versatile but not a starting caliber player.  

Lateral signing from Beachum. A bit younger and more versatile, can play RT and is guaranteed to have one touchdown on a trick play.  

Hopefully we get a guy at 11 to play LT, let’s say we do and the rookie is good enough to start at LT.  Can either Fant or Edoga kick inside to play guard? Neither is a people mover but both could probably pass protect at G better than we had last year.

as of now

LT: Fant

LG: ?

? Harrison

RG: Winters

RT: Edoga

ugh 

• Upvote 1