Jets Sign George Fant

Mo Lew

Sidegrade from Beachum.  They had to do something at the position, so im fine with this.  Obviously the market has not been kind to us, but that's life when you are a beggar and desperate.  Im expecting one big ticket splash on the OT to go.  Maybe a trade...

As I said months ago, we are not going to be huge players in FA, we don't have the money.  Expect our team to be a sidegrade going into the draft (which is where we can improve).

6 hours ago, Lith said:

I know that positivity is not well received around here today, but here is a favorable Fant article from a Seahawks writer.  The article contains a bunch of clips of him playing LT.  Didn't copy the videos below.  It is worth clicking on the link.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/2/13/21136187/gm-will-give-seattle-seahawks-george-fant-starter-money-free-agent-bosa-barnett-davenport-garrett?fbclid=IwAR2JZvY7ltauyrPP3JBqdbYrY856nuIMqstTVy0OgjbPSaAXHzAHKHd6Jbc

I don't know if this is a good signing or not.  But I am not going to draw a conclusion based on a couple of ESPN soundbites and a PFF rating.  The contract suggests Douglas thinks he can start in the League.  Time will tell if he is right or not.

Anyone who talks about an OLineman without film analysis is just lying.  That's

the ONLY way to truly judge one

11 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

But it looks like Douglas is targeting guys, setting a price he's prepared to pay, and isn't going to pay more than he thinks guys are worth. Maybe this is a wise strategy, maybe it isn't - only time will tell.

This. In a nutshell. We live in such a "I want it now" world. Made worse by the fact this franchise has been a dumpster fire for years. The fact that Douglas hasn't thrown away his limited resources on Day 1 is fine with me. I'd rather he show restraint and actually have a plan.

Of course, none of us know whether it's the right thing to do at this moment in time, and either way he'll have people waiting to call him out for any mistake. I've only been a Jets fan since 2015 when they won in London and I've got to be honest, this seems like the first time I've seen them have a proper plan.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I'm fine with this signing.  The Jets have obviously been interested in him for some time, as Tony Pauline mentioned the Jets' interest in Fant back at the Senior Bowl.  So it's not like this is a knee-jerk signing, but a guy they have been targeting for quite a while.

Yes, other bigger names - some of whom were linked to the Jets - have signed elsewhere. But it looks like Douglas is targeting guys, setting a price he's prepared to pay, and isn't going to pay more than he thinks guys are worth. Maybe this is a wise strategy, maybe it isn't - only time will tell.

I don't get the impression that this is an Idzik type situation where there is no plan when you get outbid on guys. The Jets seemingly liked some of those bigger name guys, but at a price - and they had a plan for other guys to target if the price got too high.

Also, it looks like the Jets plan to play Fant at LT, at least initially.  Can anyone name another LT who has agreed a FA deal that the Jets have missed out on, or been outbid on?  A big name RT signed elsewhere, a big name Guard got franchised, and a biggish name C/G signed with another team. But the Jets got the LT that they wanted, and they signed him over other options such as Beachum or Peters or a trade for Trent Williams.

The price the Jets paid is extremely reasonable in the current market.  If Fant starts, and plays well, at LT then this is a great value deal.  If he starts, at plays well, at RT then it's a good value deal. In the event that he doesn't live up to expectations, it appears as though it should be easy to move on after 1 year with minimal cap impact. But, if he is a keeper, then you have a starting Tackle signed up for 3 years at a nice price.

The Seahawks, and their fans, also clearly liked the guy. He was viewed as a starter at LT for them until he got injured, leading to them trading for Duane Brown. A lot of Seahawk fans wanted him re-signed over Germaine Ifedi as the RT for now, at potential LT of the future once Brown's contract is up. The Seahawks opted for the 2nd round tender (at a cost of $3.1M) to prevent Fant from leaving last year, to ward off potential suitors. So the team that has worked with him most closely saw value in him as, clearly, did Douglas.

This also gives us flexibility in the draft not to force a pick at Tackle, unless the value is there. It might allow the Jets to pick a guy like Wills (if he is there) and play him on the right side, with a long-term view to developing him as a future LT.

Douglas was always going to take a methodical approach to team-building, rather than looking to make big splashes on day 1 of Free Agency. He's got a 6-year deal for a reason, and he's looking to build through the draft and complement that core with value free agents. He may make a splash or two if he sees value - I anticipate he may look to spend big money on a pass-rusher if he really likes one - but, for the most part, he's going to take the Ravens/Eagles approach of building through the draft.  It's that pedigree that attracted us to sign him as GM in the first place.

What's wrong with you???  Stop being rational!!!  If fans don't know an OLineman's name

or his PFF rating isn't good he's obviously a bust

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Tremendous find because it includes film breakdowns!!!  Based on the
article and cutups Fant hopefully is an under the radar signing who
is ascending.  After the awful deals we've given to "has beens" it
would be a nice change

KRL I respect your opinion on here as much as anyone and am looking forward to watching the video, but how do you get around Fant's struggles on the field for Seattle.  Their line was never good and he struggled to even crack the lineup there and when he did play had a terrible pressure rate.

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

lol I just can talk myself into this being a good move. My green colored glasses might be broken . 

You'd also have to factor in that Fant was primarily playing LT - facing opposing teams' best pass rushers - while Shell and Edoga primarily played on the right side.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

KRL I respect your opinion on here as much as anyone and am looking forward to watching the video, but how do you get around Fant's struggles on the field for Seattle.  Their line was never good and he struggled to even crack the lineup there and when he did play had a terrible pressure rate.

This signing might not work out and Fant could be awful.  But my biggest issue
is fans judge OLinemen "stupidly".  If they don't know his name or his PFF
rating is bad, he stinks.  In this thread multiple people have found actual
tape of Fant going against good defenses and he shows quite a few traits that
are encouraging and a nice streak of nastiness.  The "whys" of went on in SEA
I can't answer, I don't follow them like I do the Jets.  I do know this though
their run offense was excellent averaging 137 yards a game and 4.6 yards a carry:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/rushingYardsPerGame/dir/desc

People are allowed to be skeptical of the move but a little research should be
done before trashing it

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

You'd also have to factor in that Fant was primarily playing LT - facing opposing teams' best pass rushers - while Shell and Edoga primarily played on the right side.

Fant was also benched For bad play like those 2 where. Btw edoga played some LT for us last year. 

Getting the most expensive free agents on the first day of the signing period, like Bell and Mosely last year, or Tru the year before, certainly hasn't worked for us.  I think Douglass has a plan and he will stick to it no matter how much noise.  The key is how well he drafts, not how big a splash he makes in free agency.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Getting the most expensive free agents on the first day of the signing period, like Bell and Mosely last year, or Tru the year before, certainly hasn't worked for us.  I think Douglass has a plan and he will stick to it no matter how much noise.  The key is how well he drafts, not how big a splash he makes in free agency.

Don’t remember being bargain basement shopper like idzik working out either.  

the fact this was like 4 or 5th backup option for Douglas is way more telling that this was fallback option and not the original plan . Cause it wasn’t like Douglas didn’t try to land the big Name Olinemen Jets where in on Conklin and Glasgow and would of been in on Thuney.

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Don’t remember being bargain basement shopper like idzik working out either.  

the fact this was like 4 or 5th backup option for Douglas is way more telling that this was fallback option and not the original plan . Cause it wasn’t like Douglas didn’t try to land the big Name Olinemen Jets where in on Conklin and Glasgow and would of been in on Thuney.

Who were his top 3 or 4 options at LT that he failed to sign?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, KRL said:

This signing might not work out and Fant could be awful.  But my biggest issue
is fans judge OLinemen "stupidly".  If they don't know his name or his PFF
rating is bad, he stinks.  In this thread multiple people have found actual
tape of Fant going against good defenses and he shows quite a few traits that
are encouraging and a nice streak of nastiness.  The "whys" of went on in SEA
I can't answer, I don't follow them like I do the Jets.  I do know this though
their run offense was excellent averaging 137 yards a game and 4.6 yards a carry:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/rushingYardsPerGame/dir/desc

People are allowed to be skeptical of the move but a little research should be
done before trashing it

I think  JD is looking at him as an ascending player.  The lack of snaps doesnt really bother me because Fant was a developmental tackle from the beginning and getting benched happens to young players (See Bless Austin).  If his strength and technique is catching up to his raw talent he should continue to get better.

My biggest concern is with this wide splits things - I hate trying to fit guys into esoteric roles, I just want good players who can play in multiple schemes unless you have a coach you know will be there for 3+ years (which we dont).

I also am a firm believer in OL is the sum of the parts.  We need to put a decent LG next to Fant and then can put a guy like Wills at RT and then we are able to give Fant a little TE help or slide the protection a little and then he will wind up "grading out" better.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Who were his top 3 or 4 options at LT that he failed to sign?

I litteraly posted who where his top options based on reports . Trying to make this position specific thing isn’t going to change that fant wasn’t his top option for Olinemen . 

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I litteraly posted who where his top options based on reports . Trying to make position specific isn’t going to change that fant wasn’t his top options for Olinemen . 

How do you know who his top options were?  He clearly wasn't going to sign Graham Glasgow to play LT.

The Jets clearly liked Fant, and went and got him. Maybe they got outbid on other guys at other positions, who knows. But this is the LT they wanted, and they got him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

How do you know who his top options were?  He clearly wasn't going to sign Graham Glasgow to play LT.

The Jets clearly liked Fant, and went and got him. Maybe they got outbid on other guys at other positions, who knows. But this is the LT they wanted, and they got him.

Jets are gonna draft there starting  LT just wait for it .,

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Jets are gonna draft there starting  LT just wait for it .,

That could still happen, if a guy they like is there, and they could move Fant to RT.

But they don't need to force a pick at LT.

Why is it that the Jets always seem to sign guys like this - someone that's a low, risk, high reward player that the fanbase isn't really sure of?  Is it too much to ask to just sign someone that the fans can say - "damn, that guy is perfect for this team,.  Great player, great signing."

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I think  JD is looking at him as an ascending player.  The lack of snaps doesnt really bother me because Fant was a developmental tackle from the beginning and getting benched happens to young players (See Bless Austin).  If his strength and technique is catching up to his raw talent he should continue to get better.

My biggest concern is with this wide splits things - I hate trying to fit guys into esoteric roles, I just want good players who can play in multiple schemes unless you have a coach you know will be there for 3+ years (which we dont).

I also am a firm believer in OL is the sum of the parts.  We need to put a decent LG next to Fant and then can put a guy like Wills at RT and then we are able to give Fant a little TE help or slide the protection a little and then he will wind up "grading out" better.  

On the surface it seems like Gase is looking for athletic OLinemen who can move
in space.  Which would seem to fit with Darnold's mobility in and out of the
pocket.  As long as the scheme and player fit I don't care what their "name"
is, on top of that all excuses for Gase need to be eliminated

• Sympathy 1

Where he fits with the Jets

Some of the issues Fant dealt with in Seattle weren’t his fault. He was a project who never had the opportunity to develop at one position because Seattle routinely moved him around. Maybe those instincts wouldn’t have been so flawed had he been allowed to play just one spot. And if the Jets present him that luxury, an NFL executive told The Athletic, he might reach the potential the Seahawks once thought he had.

The Jets view Fant as a left tackle who can play right if need be. One league source believed Fant would develop best on the right side. Either way, he gives New York insurance at both spots.

It seems a foregone conclusion the Jets will select a tackle in the first round of April’s draft. Mekhi Becton (Louisville), Tristan Wirfs (Iowa), Jedrick Wills (Alabama) and Andrew Thomas (Georgia) all project as top-15 picks. While many scouts believe all four have Week 1 starting potential, there’s no guarantee that’s the case once they get in the building. Fant could start for the Jets early before giving way to the rookie.

The Jets are legitimately high on right tackle Chuma Edoga, whom they drafted in the third round last year. While he struggled last year, they think he has all the tools to be a long-term starter. It’s among the reasons they refused to overpay for Jack Conklin in free agency. But most of that optimism is predicated on Edoga taking the next step on the field and with his maturity. If the 22-year-old again struggles, Fant can step in.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Where he fits with the Jets

Some of the issues Fant dealt with in Seattle weren’t his fault. He was a project who never had the opportunity to develop at one position because Seattle routinely moved him around. Maybe those instincts wouldn’t have been so flawed had he been allowed to play just one spot. And if the Jets present him that luxury, an NFL executive told The Athletic, he might reach the potential the Seahawks once thought he had.

The Jets view Fant as a left tackle who can play right if need be. One league source believed Fant would develop best on the right side. Either way, he gives New York insurance at both spots.

It seems a foregone conclusion the Jets will select a tackle in the first round of April’s draft. Mekhi Becton (Louisville), Tristan Wirfs (Iowa), Jedrick Wills (Alabama) and Andrew Thomas (Georgia) all project as top-15 picks. While many scouts believe all four have Week 1 starting potential, there’s no guarantee that’s the case once they get in the building. Fant could start for the Jets early before giving way to the rookie.

The Jets are legitimately high on right tackle Chuma Edoga, whom they drafted in the third round last year. While he struggled last year, they think he has all the tools to be a long-term starter. It’s among the reasons they refused to overpay for Jack Conklin in free agency. But most of that optimism is predicated on Edoga taking the next step on the field and with his maturity. If the 22-year-old again struggles, Fant can step in.

Interesting take on edoga.  Where was this published?

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Why is it that the Jets always seem to sign guys like this - someone that's a low, risk, high reward player that the fanbase isn't really sure of?  Is it too much to ask to just sign someone that the fans can say - "damn, that guy is perfect for this team,.  Great player, great signing."

Seems to me just last year they went after big ticket guys that were high bust possibilities.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Tremendous find because it includes film breakdowns!!!  Based on the
article and cutups Fant hopefully is an under the radar signing who
is ascending.  After the awful deals we've given to "has beens" it
would be a nice change

Agreed.  Novel idea, but I wanted to find out a little bit about the guy before immediately judging the signing.  He may be a four year vet, but his rookie year he was learning a new position (guy was a TE in college).  He had a chance to break into stariting lineup in year 2, but tore ACL, then found himself in a limited role behind Duane Brown on the depth chart in years 3 & 4.  Maybe he is ready to take the next step.  Maybe he isn't.  He started a few games toward the end of the season, and seemed to have handled himself pretty well against some pretty good pass rushers. 

It would not be unheard of for a UDFA who learned a new position to need a few years to develop.

• Upvote 2