Jets Sign George Fant

Mo Lew

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Why is it that the Jets always seem to sign guys like this - someone that's a low, risk, high reward player that the fanbase isn't really sure of?  Is it too much to ask to just sign someone that the fans can say - "damn, that guy is perfect for this team,.  Great player, great signing."

Jets have failed in both situations lost risk high reward guys and big name guys . There is no perfect way of building a team. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Jets have failed in both situations lost risk high reward guys and big name guys . There is no perfect way of building a team. 

That's fair.  I just hate this signing because he's not a slam dunk reliable player and doesn't solidify their strategy going into the draft.  I'll reserve final judgement until FA is over, but I don't think this was a good start.

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

That's fair.  I just hate this signing because he's not a slam dunk reliable player and doesn't solidify their strategy going into the draft.  I'll reserve final judgement until FA is over, but I don't think this was a good start.

Lmaoo I’m with you . At some point would be nice to get Sam some reliable help . Guys you don’t need to be sold on. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Connor Hughes is one of the more knowledgeable bear reporters for us. I fully expect us to allow Edoga to compete for the starting job.

But competing is quite different than if they draft Wirfs or wills and that guy is a right tackle.  But if the edoga stuff is true then wr is definitely in play at 11.  If Robbie walks then even more so.

Just now, Scoop24 said:

Lmaoo I’m with you . At some point would be nice to get Sam some reliable help . Guys you don’t need to sold on. 

You guys aren't alone, we all want that signing that makes us think "slam dunk" it could still happen in the form of 2nd tier players. The only contract I'm really upset we missed on from yesterday was Glasgow. I thought we should have been able to beat the $11m per year number he got.

You could throw in Hopkins but idk if he was ever really an option for us.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

But competing is quite different than if they draft Wirfs or wills and that guy is a right tackle.  But if the edoga stuff is true then wr is definitely in play at 11.  If Robbie walks then even more so.

Fant vs Edoga with a LT at 11 is still realistic. I would love a reason to draft CeeDee Lamb though.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

KRL I respect your opinion on here as much as anyone and am looking forward to watching the video, but how do you get around Fant's struggles on the field for Seattle.  Their line was never good and he struggled to even crack the lineup there and when he did play had a terrible pressure rate.

You need to remember that over 4 years he was:

2016: a rookie UDFA with one year of organized football experience - at TE! - since middle school

2017: blew out his knee in preseason

2018-19: behind Diane Brown (acquired for 2d & 3rd round picks) & Germain Ifedi (a 1st round pick) 

He's got tools and talent, only question is technique and consistency. I'll Trust Douglas's evaluation the skills, especially at the position he knows best, until he proves that we shouldn't

• Sympathy 2

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about Fant.  What I do know is he's big athletic freak of a man and Joe Douglas is supposed to be an expert on OL, so, IDK maybe see how it plays out before we rip this signing apart?  There is some good film on him out there, Seattle has been a top 5 running team in the league for a few seasons now.  

Maybe a diamond in the rough...

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about Fant.  What I do know is he's big athletic freak of a man and Joe Douglas is supposed to be an expert on OL, so, IDK maybe see how it plays out before we rip this signing apart?  There is some good film on him out there, Seattle has been a top 5 running team in the league for a few seasons now.  

Lmaoo if this was a Macc signing u wouldn’t be saying none of this .  It’s cool tho I’m all for giving Douglas a chance. But handling of Khalil and Harrison . Will make me questions some things. 

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Fant is nobody, so not sure what you’re getting at with this one, Chief. Today has been absolutely awful and the last thing I want to be told by faithfully blind homers is “FANT IS BETTER DEN NUTTIN” 

yea ok.

It's not faithfully blind homerism. It's the fact that it's ONE FRICKIN' DAY INTO FREE AGENCY.

Can we at least wait until the draft is over to whine about the offseason. That is the logical way

Just based on what everyone is saying about our expectations at OL I expect - if the top 4 OL are gone - that we will try and trade back a little and take Ezra Cleveland. A double up on Cleveland and Peart and an extra second rounder could be a nice haul. If we don’t get one of the big 4.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why are we always the ones hoping to find "a diamond in the rough"?  For once, please just give me a friggin' Harry Winston, Richard Burton giving Liz Taylor a massive diamond broach with matching earrings and ring-type player.  

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Just based on what everyone is saying about our expectations at OL I expect - if the top 4 OL are gone - that we will try and trade back a little and take Ezra Cleveland. A double up on Cleveland and Peart and an extra second rounder could be a nice haul. If we don’t get one of the big 4.

Agreed, also don't sleep on Josh Jones and Austin Jackson

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Why are we always the ones hoping to find "a diamond in the rough"?  For once, please just give me a friggin' Harry Winston, Richard Burton giving Liz Taylor a massive diamond broach with matching earrings and ring-type player.  

I dont believe we are always trying to find a diamond in the rough; just last year we signed Mosley, Bell, Crowder, Poole, Kalil and Barr was on the hook as well.  We gave Tru a monster contract, signed Williamson.  The list goes on.   They didnt get the top tier guys, it happens.  They found someone they think can be more than what he is on his current team.  If they succeed, it's a monster score with the type of deal he received.

Who knows, maybe this approach will work. 

• Upvote 4

JETS SIGN T GEORGE FANT TO A THREE-YEAR, $30 MILLION DEAL ($13.7 MILLION GUARANTEED)

As my colleague Mike Renner pointed out, the criteria for an offensive tackle getting over $10 million per year on the free agent market appears to be starting more than one game at tackle and not falling flat on your face. In that regard, Fant qualifies, but that’s about where the qualifications for this kind of deal stop. The only season that he saw extensive starting action at tackle was in his rookie 2016 season when he recorded pass-blocking and run-blocking grades below 50.0. Since that point, he has played nearly as many snaps at tight end as a tackle eligible (454) as he has at offensive line (477). This is a head scratcher for the Jets.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-free-agency-live-deal-grader

20 minutes ago, KRL said:

Agreed, also don't sleep on Josh Jones and Austin Jackson

Trading back to ~15, picking up another 3rd rounder and drafting Josh Jones seems to me like the direction JD is taking. Would love having 3 3rds in this draft. I'd rather draft Jones over Becton. 

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

Why is it that the Jets always seem to sign guys like this - someone that's a low, risk, high reward player that the fanbase isn't really sure of?  Is it too much to ask to just sign someone that the fans can say - "damn, that guy is perfect for this team,.  Great player, great signing."

Didn't the fans say that about Mosley and Bell last year?    Lots of folks loved Tru Johnson.

According to Pauline at the Combine Jets have been targeting this guy for awhile.  Think I;ll wait to see it Douglas knows anything about OL

• Sympathy 2

As pointed out in this Seattle Times https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-lose-offensive-lineman-george-fant-who-signs-with-jets/ article the Seahawks regularly used him in the backfield as a blocker. Also as a reminder this is the 3rd Seattle O lineman we've signed over the past few years as a FA. We signed Carpenter and Breno. It looks like a stretch to overpay a guy like this but Douglas knows offensive line and he looked at the film and I assume he knows what he is doing. The salary range is going up anyways and 10 mil per but only 13.7 guaranteed might be ok if he becomes a starter. 

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Fant was also benched For bad play like those 2 where. Btw edoga played some LT for us last year. 

He wasn't benched, though. He blew out his knee in the 2017 preseason and the Seahawks traded to premium pics to the Texans for Duane Brown to replace him while he was injured. His spot was gone once he came back

• Upvote 2

He wasn't benched, though. He blew out his knee in the 2017 preseason and the Seahawks traded to premium pics to the Texans for Duane Brown to replace him while he was injured. His spot was gone once he came back

So .. let me get this right.... We just signed the guy that blew his knee out and couldn't keep his position when he came back. Nothing against the guy he is probably a good dude... But injuries happen and change careers. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Its a good signing, and a rarity for the Jets, a scheme nuanced signing. Historically we always just sign players. Teams like New England sign under the radar guys that fit their system.

He can start at either tackle spot and will probably start at left while our rookie learns at right. Or the rookie is ready and we have a solid guy to compete with Edoga at right. He’s easily cuttable after year 1, if he does well at right we keep Fant for another 2 years. 

Its not a bad signing. But it definitely doesn’t move the needle. We gotta do a whole lot more of Sam.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

So .. let me get this right.... We just signed the guy that blew his knee out and couldn't keep his position when he came back. Nothing against the guy he is probably a good dude... But injuries happen and change careers. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We signed the guy who was a project development player when he came out of college, forced into the starting lineup play injuries, and then replaced by a pro bowler when he went down with an injury. The only relevant question is whether he developed over the four years. Douglas clearly thinks he did

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

The Fant signing should also shed a little light on the type of OT the Jets may be looking to draft.  

How about one that can block.

I've said it before I'll say it again if the jets are drafting guys just to suit admas gases narrow vision of oline it is a huge mistake.

• WTF? 1

23 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I believe that Joe Douglas knows more than the average fan. 

So far his moves have all sucked or were just meh except for a trade with the giants which was probably the result of the gettleman having inexplicable man love for Leo

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Also, Wilson holds the ball for an eternity, so I’d imagine any ORT is going to give up a lot of pressures on that team

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Its a good signing, and a rarity for the Jets, a scheme nuanced signing. Historically we always just sign players. Teams like New England sign under the radar guys that fit their system.

He can start at either tackle spot and will probably start at left while our rookie learns at right. Or the rookie is ready and we have a solid guy to compete with Edoga at right. He’s easily cuttable after year 1, if he does well at right we keep Fant for another 2 years. 

Its not a bad signing. But it definitely doesn’t move the needle. We gotta do a whole lot more of Sam.

This is why I like the move. Everyone cried all year because we didn't run outside with Bell. It is because our oline was too slow and unathletic to get to their spots. This signing doesn't solve all our problems, but we needed more athleticism on the oline and we got it. At least we are sticking to a plan. Only time will tell if its a good one. 

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

So far his moves have all sucked or were just meh except for a trade with the giants which was probably the result of the gettleman having inexplicable man love for Leo

Yeah, can you even name one draft pick Joe Douglas has made with the Jets that has been good??????

#fireJoeD

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Connor Hughes column in the Athletic this AM.

The Jets are legitimately high on right tackle Chuma Edoga, whom they drafted in the third round last year. While he struggled last year, they think he has all the tools to be a long-term starter. It’s among the reasons they refused to overpay for Jack Conklin in free agency. But most of that optimism is predicated on Edoga taking the next step on the field and with his maturity. If the 22-year-old again struggles, Fant can step in.