The Second Coming of Tom Brady (Patriots did not draft a QB)

Will he terrorize us for the next 20 years?  I'll be in my 70's then....  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2020/03/17/jarrett-stidham-patriots-current-in-house-qb-replace-tom-brady/5066860002/

Replacement? Meet Jarrett Stidham, the Patriots' current in-house option to replace Tom Brady

With franchise quarterback Tom Brady leaving the New England Patriots on Tuesday, the spotlight now turns to who could potentially fill the void under center. One of those possible QB options is backup Jarrett Stidham.  

The Patriots selected Stidham in the fourth round of the 2019 NFL draft with the 133rd pick, looking to develop the 23-year-old to be a potential starter. But is he the guy in 2020? Here's a look at his background and numbers: 

► With Brady taking a majority of the snaps in 2019 in a mentoring role, Stidham only threw passes in two games and saw action in three. In a Sept. 22 game against the Jets, he went 2-for-3 for 14 yards and a pick-six interception. In an Oct. 6 game against the Redskins he went 0-for-1.

► In two NCAA seasons at Auburn, Stidham completed 63.6% of his passes for 5,952 yards, 36 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions as a starter. Prior to that, Stidham started his career with Baylor where he started three games as a true freshman in 2015. In between his stints with Baylor and Auburn, Stidham spent a semester at McLennan Community College (in Waco, Texas) where he did not play football.  

Stidham signed a four-year deal with the Pats worth $3.15 million, including a signing bonus of about $634,000. Murphy, his agent, felt a year in the Patriots system will give him a leg up on other QB starter contenders: 

“He’s spent a year in the system. He’s got a lot left to learn, like most players do in the NFL,” Murphy told The Boston Herald. “But having been with Josh (McDaniels) in every meeting for a year now, it would certainly give him an advantage over other people coming in, trying to learn the system.”

► Stidham tweeted to his mentor, Brady, after the news broke Tuesday, "Love you brother! Thank you for everything!"

d6bdabaf-2e76-414e-ba81-2f89edbc4633-AP_Patriots_Lions_Football_1.jpg

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Because the Jets took their guy in James Morgan.

I think this is true. JD scooped both the Dolphins (Davis), Fins picked a safety right after we picked Davis. Pats always seem to target a QB & you'd think especially with Brady walking away? 

• Upvote 2

My suspicion is that once these social distancing restrictions ease up, we’re going to see a fat bunch of trades all come at the same time. Schefter said that teams aren’t swinging deals and signing guys like Clowney because they simply can’t get them in front of their team doctors. I’d imagine teams will also want clarity on how contracts are getting paid out if there’s a shortened season, and if the NFLPA agrees to a cut. No owner wants to hand a new acquisition a giant, front-loaded contract only to have that player sit at home on the couch with their signing bonus into November. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Larz said:

396EC8DA-3C38-4972-AB15-AF3FC30216B5.jpeg

No freaking way the Patriots will lose enough games to get the 1st pick. Teams like Detroit, Panthers, Bears, Broncos, Colts, Redskins will do whatever it takes to move up to draft him. Redskins will be in a whole lotta hurt next year in that division. Dallas, Giants had great drafts, Eagles always tough, I'm saying it now, Redskins are on the clock. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/17/2020 at 12:37 PM, 82nd Airborne said:

Will he terrorize us for the next 20 years?  I'll be in my 70's then....  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2020/03/17/jarrett-stidham-patriots-current-in-house-qb-replace-tom-brady/5066860002/

Replacement? Meet Jarrett Stidham, the Patriots' current in-house option to replace Tom Brady

With franchise quarterback Tom Brady leaving the New England Patriots on Tuesday, the spotlight now turns to who could potentially fill the void under center. One of those possible QB options is backup Jarrett Stidham.  

The Patriots selected Stidham in the fourth round of the 2019 NFL draft with the 133rd pick, looking to develop the 23-year-old to be a potential starter. But is he the guy in 2020? Here's a look at his background and numbers: 

► With Brady taking a majority of the snaps in 2019 in a mentoring role, Stidham only threw passes in two games and saw action in three. In a Sept. 22 game against the Jets, he went 2-for-3 for 14 yards and a pick-six interception. In an Oct. 6 game against the Redskins he went 0-for-1.

► In two NCAA seasons at Auburn, Stidham completed 63.6% of his passes for 5,952 yards, 36 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions as a starter. Prior to that, Stidham started his career with Baylor where he started three games as a true freshman in 2015. In between his stints with Baylor and Auburn, Stidham spent a semester at McLennan Community College (in Waco, Texas) where he did not play football.  

Stidham signed a four-year deal with the Pats worth $3.15 million, including a signing bonus of about $634,000. Murphy, his agent, felt a year in the Patriots system will give him a leg up on other QB starter contenders: 

“He’s spent a year in the system. He’s got a lot left to learn, like most players do in the NFL,” Murphy told The Boston Herald. “But having been with Josh (McDaniels) in every meeting for a year now, it would certainly give him an advantage over other people coming in, trying to learn the system.”

► Stidham tweeted to his mentor, Brady, after the news broke Tuesday, "Love you brother! Thank you for everything!"

d6bdabaf-2e76-414e-ba81-2f89edbc4633-AP_Patriots_Lions_Football_1.jpg

Not too shabby.

On 4/26/2020 at 8:23 AM, T0mShane said:

My suspicion is that once these social distancing restrictions ease up, we’re going to see a fat bunch of trades all come at the same time. Schefter said that teams aren’t swinging deals and signing guys like Clowney because they simply can’t get them in front of their team doctors. I’d imagine teams will also want clarity on how contracts are getting paid out if there’s a shortened season, and if the NFLPA agrees to a cut. No owner wants to hand a new acquisition a giant, front-loaded contract only to have that player sit at home on the couch with their signing bonus into November. 

*cough* CJ Mosley *cough*

• Upvote 3

On 10/6/2020 at 1:34 PM, rangerous said:

Last night, Hoyer certainly wasn’t the answer and stidman came in and did well until his pick six. Even there that was on Edelman.  Give him more reps and he might be pretty good.

Ya, wayyyyy too early for a victory lap on this one.

Besides, Cam Newton still has enough juice to get them into the playoffs and their defense can carry them pretty deep.