Top TV Series to watch in these days of this virus.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank God for the now great Television we have today. Imagine if we didn't, now with this virus and curfews it is a must. Since my injury on the job disability these last 5+ years not only has college

@Dcat @AFCEastFan Just read this article which includes an interview with Garry Kasparov.  You chess heads will appreciate the insights related to The Queen's Gambit.  Too long to post.  So click belo

Colombo   

Posted Images

On 1/28/2021 at 10:53 AM, nj meadowlands said:

some stuff i've watched over the past year that I really liked

Dark (Netflix)
Russian Doll
Ted Lasso
Ozark
Watchmen
The Last Dance
Outsider
Westworld (season 3)
Queen's Gambit
The Undoing

started "the flight attendant" but taking a break from it because she's too annoying

Wife and I watched it this weekend.  Not very good. 

Queen's Gambit is up next.

We have been watching Halt & Catch Fire.  Missed it the first time around.  

Not a great show, but not awful either.  Just too many cliche scenes and terrible acting by several cast members, especially Mackenzie Davis.  Best parts of the show are Lee Pace (Don Draper 2.0), Scoot McNairy, and Kerry Bishe, who is adorable.

22 hours ago, Lith said:

Wife and I watched it this weekend.  Not very good. 

Queen's Gambit is up next.

Flight Attendant was just awful. I rarely find alcoholics funny on TV.  We didn't finish it either.  I quit after 3rd episode but Mrs carried on for a while.   Shocked you have yet to watch Gambit.  Loved it from start to finish. 

Try HBO's Young Pope followed by New Pope sequel (3 years later, with John Malkovich in a fascinating role).  Great stuff. There is one episode in the New Pope that was the most moving moments on a television series I've ever encountered.  

On 10/24/2020 at 2:37 PM, munchmemory said:

Began the seven episode limited series The Queen's Gambit on Netflix last night.  It's the story of an orphan who is also a chess prodigy.  Very well written and acted, especially by the lead actress, Anya Taylor-Joy.  Taylor-Joy continues to impress.  Loved her in Thoroughbreds and Emma.  

The show's creator/director is Scott Frank who wrote the screenplays for Get Shorty, Minority Report, The Wolverine and Logan among others.

Best thing I’ve watched in a long time. She’s a doll!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Best thing I’ve watched in a long time. She’s a doll!

Glad you enjoyed it.  That series is incredible.   

And you're right about Anya Taylor-Joy.  A consummate actress who somehow combines innocence, sexiness, quirkiness into one very attractive package.  Love her.

• Upvote 1

I just started re-watching The Wire for the first time in years.  My plan was to watch one, maybe two episodes a day.

Blew through the first season (13 episodes) in two days.

Probably my favorite show of all time.

• Upvote 2
49 minutes ago, peebag said:

So, I watch quite a few foreign series on Netflix.  Been watching this one recently:

two words: Nazi UFOs.

Looks interesting.  Guess I should check out more foreign stuff.  My son is obsessed with the German series Dark.  I found it maddeningly meandering and slow, but an interesting concept. And I fell in love with one of the actresses, Lisa Vicari.

Queens gambit was good. Enjoyable, but gfar from brilliant.

have u guys watched the alysa lam cecil hotel doc? Very interesting and incredibly annoying at times given how people want to jump to conclusions  

20 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Queens gambit was good. Enjoyable, but gfar from brilliant.

have u guys watched the alysa lam cecil hotel doc? Very interesting and incredibly annoying at times given how people want to jump to conclusions  

yup.  Sat through it the other night.  Had my wife hooked as she remembered the case from years ago.  IMHO, the 'documentary' was more than a bit extreme in leading what they wanted viewers to think at various moments.  The young woman's medical condition wasn't even brought up until way too late yet would have been an integral part of the investigation from the very beginning. They also strongly implied that the tank was discovered closed for almost the entirety and didn't disclose that the tank was discovered open until the very end.  Again, that would have been the very first thing the detectives learned.  Geezuz.  Had we known all that from the get go, most of the artificial drama  would have faded in this cheesy Hollywood 'documentary' .  But fascinating nevertheless.  I didn't stop watching. So there's that.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

yup.  Sat through it the other night.  Had my wife hooked as she remembered the case from years ago.  IMHO, the 'documentary' was more than a bit extreme in leading what they wanted viewers to think at various moments.  The young woman's medical condition wasn't even brought up until way too late yet would have been an integral part of the investigation from the very beginning. They also strongly implied that the tank was discovered closed for almost the entirety and didn't disclose that the tank was discovered open until the very end.  Again, that would have been the very first thing the detectives learned.  Geezuz.  Had we known all that from the get go, most of the artificial drama  would have faded in this cheesy Hollywood 'documentary' .  But fascinating nevertheless.  I didn't stop watching. So there's that.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much my views except when I posted that I did not see the final episode. The final episode certainly tied up a lot of loose ends. I also agree that they arranged the flow to make the documentary but you know what it worked and the timeline for the doc matches the timeline of the events. 

Before watching the last episode I was convinced that she was tweeeeeeeeked out on drugs and thats what led to her demise, either by accident or not. But what REALLY irritated me were all the internet sleuths with their theories. As a student of human nature, it is all not surprising. 

Im a GREAT mechanic. Seriously. I have spent my life in disgust of service people because in the unlikely event that I have to hire one, they disappoint. How do I know? Because a GREAT mechanic starts with the most common, simplest and cheapest possibility and works backwards eliminating things towards the most expensive, complex and uncommon problem. BAD mechanics do the opposite or start in the middle somewhere.

In this series, all the evidence points to her being alone. Either she committed suicide or died accidentally. There was NO evidence of another player. Yet the public cant stop with their grandiose ideas of what happened. She was raped. She was Murdered. Someone forced her in that tank by gunpoint. The police is covering it up. The hotel is covering it up. The police, hotel and coroner all are working together to cover it up. My god! Even that loser heavy metal kid. He's a death black metal guy that made a cheesey video of him chasing down a girl lol so it must have been him. 

Theres 2 docs going on here.......one is about lam and the other is about human nature!

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, peebag said:

psychotic episode - she did have a history of mental health issues.

Ya like i said when I posted that I didnt see the final episode but yea .......

makes sense, is consistent with all the evidence, there a history and it is the most simplest answer

28 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

WOW started a netflix 6 part doc last night called EVIL GENIUS its super good. Im sure after 25 minutes you will be hooked. crazy

We watched that ages ago.  It was okay, but I'm pretty sure by the end you won't be saying it was "super good."