This Narrative Needs To Change

KRL

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Would you say all 7 have the capability of ending up a franchise LT? 

I'm not particularly interested in drafting a lock RT at 11, but it wouldn't be the worst thing to do.  

Based on their scouting reports it looks like they all have "franchise LT" potential

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Fans need to stop saying/thinking that there are only four first round
OT's, because there are seven.  Everyone knows the "big four" who are
getting all the media attention (Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Becton).  But
there are three others who fit the profile that Douglas seems to be
looking for on the line (athletic, moves well in space):

Ezra Cleveland
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ezra-cleveland?id=3219434c-4567-0117-4b64-f3ef088b9fb5

Austin Jackson
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/austin-jackson?id=32194a41-4304-1754-a4d4-5902e423feaa

Josh Jones
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joshua-jones?id=32194a4f-4e50-6329-4716-1f544b2c7ee9

In fact these three will allow Douglas to be aggressive in fielding trade down
calls from teams looking for a QB, WR or a defender who slips

There is a pretty big drop off from Jones to Jackson imo. I look at it as there really are 5 I'd like in the 1st rd. Then it drops to Jacks and Tega Wonoghu.  Adams and Peart are guys I'd like to stay away from before the 5th rd or so. 

Good post though. I agree. 

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Ezra Cleveland
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ezra-cleveland?id=3219434c-4567-0117-4b64-f3ef088b9fb5

Austin Jackson
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/austin-jackson?id=32194a41-4304-1754-a4d4-5902e423feaa

Josh Jones
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joshua-jones?id=32194a4f-4e50-6329-4716-1f544b2c7ee9

Absolutely and there are at least 3 maybe 4 others that are second round talent that can be starters.   I wouldn't reach but I wouldn't be mad with Josh Johnson or Austin Jackson at 11.  

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Ezra Cleveland

Austin Jackson

Josh Jones

" Douglas seems to be looking for on the line (athletic, moves well in space)"

This is really super important.  If true, it shows that Douglas understands the qualities of Sam Darnold and realizes that the ideal offense would have a mobile, athletic line that can move the pocket and work well in a man-blocking scheme.  It shows a vision for building a specific offense that fits Sam.  That sort of an offensive line would also do wonders for Bell's running style... 

Big question here... Will Gase get his head out of his ass ??? He has to abandon his cherished Peyton Manning friendly static pocket offense. 

IMHO... If you want to see the perfect offense for Sam and Bell, watch the 1981/82 Redskins.  I'd run a very similar offense with Sam on board.  Lots of counter gap running and misdirection.  Plenty of roll-outs and line shifts.  For year 2020, you could substitute all the running sweeps with screen passing.  My goodness, that would be ideal for Sam and Bell

5 hours ago, Ben Had said:

Some teams may trade up for one.

Yes, I have been thinking obviously Burrow and Tua should be gone, but if QB Herbert falls to us and someone not to far down (though I only see the Raiders 1 spot behind us) would want him we could trade down and still get one of the other Tackles you speak of. If it was the Raiders though 1 spot trade down would maybe not garnish much.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There were only three tackles taken in the first last year (the first at 22); three more in Rd1 in 2018 (Mike McGlinchey at 9, Kolton Miller at 15, then Isaiah Wynn late); and two in 2017 (first one at 20). 

What I think you’re seeing with these mocks right now is the simple fact that OT is an easier position for fake-boy media scouts to fake-scout because they just look at the size, conference awards, starting experience, and watching a few games to see if that prospect doesn’t fall on his face that much. Then they toss in some stupid terms like “waist bender” and “powerful punch” and they have an idiot’s-eye “scouting report” of an NFL prospect. I’d be surprised if, on draft day, teams left QBs, CBs, edge rushers, and WRs on the board to draft all four tackles in the top ten. It just hasn’t been happening all that much. 

Contra case this is a historic OT year and there haven't many of those recently. Or even any

not historic in the sense they are all Quenton Nelson's. That guy comes around once a decade. 

It's historic in the sense KRL is talking about 6-7 possible insta-starters 

the league is starved for OL talent and it wouldn't surprise me at all if 6 went in rd 1 

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

A few thoughts here for me:

1)  I think the jets will be more than happy to take a tackle at 11 or WR 11 since the value will undoubtedly be there.  

2) The possibility of a trade down has become increasingly more feasible with the current state of FA.

To me if JD values athleticism as much as it seems he may feel better about trading down a few spots to grab one of those other OT and gaining a few extra day 2 picks for his trouble.  I'm becoming increasingly convinced there will be a very good deal on the table for him by the time 11 rolls around on draft day if the WR's are all still there.  

Denver in particular is the target I keep hearing about from people I talk to.  They have made it known they are looking to add a WR weapon for Locke to pair with Sutton on the outside.  Denver currently holds the 15th pick and sits behind the Raiders, 49ers, and Bucs.  From people I talk to, and again its early so a lot can change, feel that both the raiders and 49ers will be targeting WR help in that spot since the value will fit perfectly with draft slot.  Bucs now may be increasingly looking to add another weapon for Tom now as well.  I could easily see a situation where any 4 of those teams (althought more so Denver) will be looking to trade up to 11 to grab the top WR available before they are snatched up in the next coming picks.  

There have also been rumors of the eagles moving up since the connection between Roseman and JD is strong, although people I talk to seem to think thats just out there because of the connection, not based on actual facts.   

The problem is we ARE drafting for need. We can't sit back like the Pats or Pitt and draft for 2022. So moving back we lose on talent that can produce on the field quickly. That takes us out of the running for the one of the top 4 tackles and the top three WR prospects. 

To this that are saying we didn't "fix" the line, well we didn't (yet) but Lewis was solid last year, and Fant and McGovern are both definitely upgrades over last year. It is quite a good start.

It also seems we want OL who are better at pass blocking and good in space, which makes sense for Darnold, and Wirfs and Josh Jones seem to fit that bill the best.

Impossible to predict how the draft will go but we will have some flexibility to maybe move down a little and get Jones, or draft WR and add a couple depth OL later. I really like Thomas myself but he does not seem to really fit the profile from what we are seeing so far.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Agreed

although lol 21 is a great spot to sit at that next slot of WR's namely jefferson and mims.  Does he slide down, get a giant haul, add jefferson or mims then fill a lot of holes?  

Thats really the question youd have to ask yourself as a gym with that deal.  Does 1 top player at his position have the same value as maybe grabbing the 4th wr, 7th OT, 2nd C/G?  

Lets play hypothetical here... Lets say Philly moves up to 11 and offers JD a nice package equal in points on the chart.  11 is worth 1250 so lets assume JD gives Howie a fair deal and doesnt rake him over the coals for above value.  Theyd probably offer their 1 (800), 2 (350) , and comp 3 (88) that would equal 1238 which would be a good deal for the eagles and a sweet heart deal from JD.  Maybe to make it fair do you throw in a comp 4? 

That would give the jets the 21st, 48th, 53rd, 68th, 79th and 103rd pick in the first 3 rounds. 6 picks in the first 2 days and another 2 in the 4th.   So you have to ask yourself.... is that worth more than Lamb, Jeudy, or the 4th best OT. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

We re-signed a guard from an historically bad oline

We paid $10mm a year to a back-up Tackle

no no, these are bogus arguments:

• even a 'historically bad oline' can have talented players on it. So, correlative, not causative.
  • a back-up Tackle on, say, the Cowboys line might be better than the guy he replaces.

Did he upgrade the talent? Probably, but it was pretty bad to begin with. I think he at least upgraded the size, which I think is very important. I mean, if you're going to suck, at least suck with 300 lbs powering you.

I agree with your overall argument: "jury's still out on what kind of job he did" but your arguments here are not persuasive. They seem like cherry picking the worst aspects of each move as if it were the most important aspect. Sometimes backups are pretty good players, Lou Gehrig. Sometimes, great players play on sh!tty units, Pete Maravich.