Shell to the Seahawks

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

PFF scores:-

Shell 63.6

Fant 62.2

Fant is a more expensive Brandon Shell.

AKA not very good.

I wonder if the pff score include his TD from the TE position lol

Hey man, I don't love the signing nor am I going to make a point to defend it, but I think it's pretty clear Fant has hit or miss potential while Shell is a bit more safe yet underwhelming. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hey man, I don't love the signing nor am I going to make a point to defend it, but I think it's pretty clear Fant has hit or miss potential while Shell is a bit more safe yet underwhelming. 

That's it in a nutshell. We have seen the best of Shell, which wasn't very good. Hopefully it signals a change in organizational philosophy to bank on athleticism. It is so par for the course around here that JD lets a guy whom 90% of all Jets fans think sucks(Shell) go, and hates the player we replaced him with. Side note, when Shell got hurt last year and Edoga was forced to play, when Beachum went down later and Shell was healthy again, they put Edoga at LT, with all of 3-4 starts, rather than a 4 year vet in Shell. Kind of tells you what they thought of Shell.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

That's it in a nutshell. We have seen the best of Shell, which wasn't very good. Hopefully it signals a change in organizational philosophy to bank on athleticism. It is so par for the course around here that JD lets a guy whom 90% of all Jets fans think sucks(Shell) go, and hates the player we replaced him with. Side note, when Shell got hurt last year and Edoga was forced to play, when Beachum went down later and Shell was healthy again, they put Edoga at LT, with all of 3-4 starts, rather than a 4 year vet in Shell. Kind of tells you what they thought of Shell.

IT really does speak volumes. I can understand the mentality of at least having one side of the line solid with a starter at the position over having 2 guys that are playing raw, but I agree. 

Shell is fine albeit underwhelming. He will most likely not improve to any great degree.  He can but it's not likely. He is what he is. Fant on the other hand could actually grow a significant amount and be a force. The problem is that he could also fail miserably. 

Personally, I think he's gonna end up our swing tackle which is a very important position to have. $9.7 mil is a lot for a swing tackle. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

IT really does speak volumes. I can understand the mentality of at least having one side of the line solid with a starter at the position over having 2 guys that are playing raw, but I agree. 

Shell is fine albeit underwhelming. He will most likely not improve to any great degree.  He can but it's not likely. He is what he is. Fant on the other hand could actually grow a significant amount and be a force. The problem is that he could also fail miserably. 

Personally, I think he's gonna end up our swing tackle which is a very important position to have. $9.7 mil is a lot for a swing tackle. 

If that is how it plays out, agree 100%.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

If that is how it plays out, agree 100%.

And it totally can.  We draft a handful of o linemen that can actually play in the first few rds. Its not that far outside of reality. 

And Edoga did not play that poorly at RT before they moved him over. he was actually a nice change from Shell when he first entered the lineup. If he was able to stay there we would hav different feelings about him right now. once they moved him to the left side, it was game over. The injury will actually serve him well. I like him to battle for the starting job over there. 

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

people need to watch Fant play before they talk about how crap he is or how Brandon Shell (mauling RT) is better than Fant who is a finesse LT (apples to oranges)

George Fant started at 250 and tight end and added 70 pounds he's more like a poor man's Jason Peters than a worse Brandon Shell 

It’s crazy how quickly people want to crap all over Douglas because he hasn’t copied the FA spending spree of our last GM. Or how quickly they forget that this guy was under the tutelage of a few of the best run organizations in football.  I’ll stand in the minority and give JD more than 3 days in FA to implement his team building strategy before calling for his head.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

PFF scores:-

Shell 63.6

Fant 62.2

Fant is a more expensive Brandon Shell.

AKA not very good.

Fant is a natural left tackle and, assuming PFF scores are a way to track anything, his scores get better when the team lets him actually play his natural left tackle position.

But to the greater point I like what Douglas is doing adding workmanlike players who are actual starters. They were never going to get Orlando Pace in free agency. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Seahawks haven't exactly been smart with their OL decisions over the years.  Their line has been an issue for a while now.  

The Hawks line was historically bad when Tom Cable was playing endlessly with the lineup (The Raiders line will probably suffer the same fate, shortly) 

but it all turned around when they got rid of Cable and Duane Brown joined up. When they are healthy they are a borderline top 10 line. Seriously. But they problem is they aren't healthy. 

Other than Brown (and Fant) they are indeed, not great at pass pro. But they weren't built for that. The team knows Russell Wilson can elude.

They were built to power run guys like DJ Fluker, Mike Iupati (also was fighting a neck injury all year) Jamarco Jones at LG (converted RT huge dude) and Ifedi, now Shell at RT.  

because of widespread injury (Jordan Simmons another young dude went down) their line wasn't good but they built an interesting unit with a ton of names developmental 

like Phil Haynes they got him back PUP last year ill let you google him he's kind of a beast. The Jets don't have any Phil Haynes that's another problem it's all goatherders beyond the starters. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Jets are making a small gamble on Fant potentially filling their LT position. If he can do that, he's a home run. Being a competent swing tackle would be a nice consolation prize. Joe Douglas is looking at this like the long term project it is. A couple free agents, a couple high picks in the draft, and probably a similar plan next year depending on how this year's moves pan out. There's going to be a lot of competition for roster spots on the OL this year and next, IMHO. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, section314 said:

That's it in a nutshell. We have seen the best of Shell, which wasn't very good.

Kind of tells you what they thought of Shell.

Another angle Shell is a man to man mauling heavy handed heavy legged waist bender who is fine in a man to man system. He is durable (one thing George Fant hasn't been) and has an anchor. 

the most important ability in the NFL is availability. 

maybe, just maybe, being related to Art Shell not getting injured are related facts. Maybe it's just nepotism. either way Shell is a proven NFL commodity who will be available on gameday to play, and probably be fine. He's not a rocked up tight end plus 70 pounds. He's always been big as sh*t. 

Shell isn't correct fit for the wide stance get to the second level, be 11 feet tall Adam Gase zone running system. But he does show up which is why he has so much experience. 

It's possible both Fant and Shell have the best year of their career, this year, in a system that lets them start and do what they do best. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets are making a small gamble on Fant potentially filling their LT position. If he can do that, he's a home run. Being a competent swing tackle would be a nice consolation prize. Joe Douglas is looking at this like the long term project it is. A couple free agents, a couple high picks in the draft, and probably a similar plan next year depending on how this year's moves pan out. There's going to be a lot of competition for roster spots on the OL this year and next, IMHO. 

And that would be best case. I'm a big fan of competition over being dependent on one guy to man the position. Unless that guy is a rock solid starter of course. But out situation being what it is, competition is the order of the day. Get guys in here to fight to the death for each position. 

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Look I’m don’t hate the guy, he may surprise? - It’s just in reality he’s a warm body. I hope Douglas has configured the contract so it’s one we can get out in a year if he sucks..

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Wondering how the Shell signing will impact next years comp picks

I would think it would help

If I have any understanding of comp picks (AND I DO NOT)

it should erase the Fant signing, assuming both start. 

Poole and Lewis are resigns. McGovern is the only "addition" so far. With Robby and Jenkins yet to sign big deals they might still get one...