Source~ What JD’s Doing

The roster, particularly on offense has to see a major upgrade.  At this point I haven’t seen that.
Not sure how disciplined it is to give $9mm a year to a backup tackle. 

More importantly, he wasn’t hired for discipline. He was hired to make the roster better.  Hope he can do better. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 8
  • WTF? 3

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Best interview Chris Johnson has given in his new role.?

It really sounds like him, and the fact that he referenced the Maccagnan spending spree six years ago leads you to believe it’s someone who’s been around for awhile. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I know this fan base might've wanted more, but I can't remember a great team that was built through throwing money at FA's. Great teams build through the draft, and sign guys who are fits for the team not just talented players. Most of those contracts blew up in our face anyway.

Correction: great teams draft well. Big money in FA is the Hail Mary if you draft like garbage. But a Hail Mary has a better chance of succeeding than doing nothing when your roster stinks.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The roster, particularly on offense has to see a major upgrade.  At this point I haven’t seen that.

More importantly, he wasn’t hired for discipline. He was hired to make the roster better.  Hope he can do better. 

Discipline can make the roster better.We just cut a guy today who is a perfect example of that.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I think the point is that overpaying on the first day for one or two big name pieces won’t work without a core roster to begin with. It won’t be a quick fix, that’s where the discipline comes in. Certainly we won’t know for a year or 2 if he’s making the right choices, especially with the draft, but it does seem like the right approach. I like it much better than the way we’ve gone about things over the last 2 gm’s. 

I get it, and don’t disagree.   But I’m really just referencing the people around here that are claiming he’s doing a great job.  He’s not doing a great job, he’s not doing a bad job either - but let’s not pretend that losing out on the top guy you wanted is some type of genius move. 

Right now, at this moment, this roster is weaker than it was before FA started.  I’m sure there will still be a lot of changes and hopefully they work out.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I get it, and don’t disagree.   But I’m really just referencing the people around here that are claiming he’s doing a great job.  He’s not doing a great job, he’s not doing a bad job either - but let’s not pretend that losing out on the top guy you wanted is some type of genius move. 

Right now, at this moment, this roster is weaker than it was before FA started.  I’m sure there will still be a lot of changes and hopefully they work out.

I see what your saying though it’s too early to grade him yet. I would quibble with the idea that the roster is worse. As bad as the OL was I’d say it’s better on paper now. Moves don’t seem genius, you’re right, but seem at least steady and following a plan. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, docdhc said:

I see what your saying though it’s too early to grade him yet. I would quibble with the idea that the roster is worse. As bad as the OL was I’d say it’s better on paper now. Moves don’t seem genius, you’re right, but seem at least steady and following a plan. 

I don’t think you can fairly evaluate the roster until after the draft.  

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

People in the NFL get paid based on prior history and a projection of what a team believes they'll do.  They obviously think he can start in Gase's offense which focuses more on athletic lineman, which is the opposite of what is required of linemen in Seattle. They probably believe his production will get better with the change of offensive systems. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

41 minutes ago, Paradis said:

cereal box sh*t

No one's debating we aren't chasing a Lombardi this year, and thus, we have to get some mileage out of our cap...

but bro...

cmon...

At some point, we have to actually add some talent to the fcking roster... McGovern isn't going to be do on his own. 

Paradis, its the draft dude.  THAT is where you add talent.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It really sounds like him, and the fact that he referenced the Maccagnan spending spree six years ago leads you to believe it’s someone who’s been around for awhile. 

Owner covering for another overwhelmed over promoted football guy who’s more comfortable with a stopwatch and clipboard.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Big Joe actually has a plan and is working his plan. I don't know that overpaying for Fant and Alex Lewis were part of that plan though but we don't know what other teams were offering them. Now he did do great on the center and stoled Poole for a year at 5 mil so maybe he's learning on the job. I give Joe a B- so far this offseason. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

People in the NFL get paid based on prior history and a projection of what a team believes they'll do.  They obviously think he can start in Gase's offense which focuses more on athletic lineman, which is the opposite of what is required of linemen in Seattle. They probably believe his production will get better with the change of offensive systems. 

I certainly hope that’s the case.  I think it’s more likely they took a couple of swing and misses at the guys they wanted and had to over pay and move quickly to lock-in their 3rd tier guy in Fant.

Even if you’re right, doesn’t mean they’re right and certainly doesn’t mean he’s disciplined.  Not saying it won’t work out but, again, people are acting like he’s already some master strategist around here.  He didn’t overpay the top guys but then went on to overpay the 3rd tier guy.  I’m just not sure how great of a move that was.  I hope it turns out to be a great move, I just don’t often see these types of reaches work.

• Upvote 1

I can't get into his head, but I have a feeling that JD has big plans for the draft in terms of stockpiling picks and drafting our current and future OL. It would not shock me at all to see JD trade down for multiple picks and a player. You don't need high draft picks to build an OL. Then again, I thought Macc has a plan too. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I can't get into his head, but I have a feeling that JD has big plans for the draft in terms of stockpiling picks and drafting our current and future OL. It would not shock me at all to see JD trade down for multiple picks and a player. You don't need high draft picks to build an OL. Then again, I thought Macc has a plan too. 

I would love that to be the case.  If you want to build through the draft with such a depleted roster you have to trade down...

• Upvote 2