Source~ What JD’s Doing

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I certainly hope that’s the case.  I think it’s more likely they took a couple of swing and misses at the guys they wanted and had to over pay and move quickly to lock-in their 3rd tier guy in Fant.

Even if you’re right, doesn’t mean they’re right and certainly doesn’t mean he’s disciplined.  Not saying it won’t work out but, again, people are acting like he’s already some master strategist around here.  He didn’t overpay the top guys but then went on to overpay the 3rd tier guy.  I’m just not sure how great of a move that was.  I hope it turns out to be a great move, I just don’t often see these types of reaches work.

Overpay? Essentially It's a 1 year deal with a cap hit of $7.25 million. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This guy has to totally nail the draft that is the whole issue.

We need a Jets 2006 draft or New Orleans 2017 draft.

^^^This.^^^

All the rest really doesn't matter.  Dude has to find gems in the draft on a regular basis.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The roster, particularly on offense has to see a major upgrade.  At this point I haven’t seen that.
Not sure how disciplined it is to give $9mm a year to a backup tackle. 

More importantly, he wasn’t hired for discipline. He was hired to make the roster better.  Hope he can do better. 

Actually Beachum was getting more than 9M a year and had no upside like Fant has and honestly Beachum would be a backup on any team that had a good Oline. Was a starter here on a bad oline.

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

So you want to add Amari Cooper for $20 million, and Jack Conklin for $15 - that'd max out the cap and add 1-2 wins.  Add "talent" like Leveon Bell and CJ Mosely?  How many of those contracts do you want to keep throwing out there?  I like the slow, smart, build idea rather than the sugar rush.  It's all about starting to draft well, and once that core is established then making 1-2 big FA moves to get over the hump.

I love JN sometimes... " i don't agree with this overly right wing policy"....   OH!!!!.... oh. ok... so you're a Socalist snowflake then huh??

No @Samtorobby47 @David Harris.. i would NOT have signed them to those contracts.... there's this place called "the middle". I like to live there. It's this place that exist between overpaid assholes and the wallmart bargain bin.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Definitely a “keep walking, folks, nothing to see here” kinda vibe to it 

Keep walking folks, the business side is still in charge while we pay first time GM's and coaches the league minimum that the gullible fanbase continues to believe in as long as we fire them and reset every 3-4 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Keep walking folks, the business side is still in charge while we pay first time GM's and coaches the league minimum that the gullible fanbase continues to believe in as long as were fire theme every 3 years.

They gave Douglas a massive contract, at least. That shows growth 

• Upvote 1

Its amazing how some are sh*tting on JD because he didn't make some sort of splash in free agency. He made some really smart signings and that is all we can ask after 3 days. Its not his fault the prior 2 GM's were complete losers and he has a lot of holes to fill. Just a healthy Darnold and continuing to build the Oline will make this team much better. Lets give the guy maybe 1 draft before we start ripping him. Some of you guys....

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I certainly hope that’s the case.  I think it’s more likely they took a couple of swing and misses at the guys they wanted and had to over pay and move quickly to lock-in their 3rd tier guy in Fant.

Even if you’re right, doesn’t mean they’re right and certainly doesn’t mean he’s disciplined.  Not saying it won’t work out but, again, people are acting like he’s already some master strategist around here.  He didn’t overpay the top guys but then went on to overpay the 3rd tier guy.  I’m just not sure how great of a move that was.  I hope it turns out to be a great move, I just don’t often see these types of reaches work.

You're married to this narrative, but it's wrong. Fant didn't get overpaid; it's actually a very reasonable deal for a player with his profile and upside. But you won't get that until the games start in 2021

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Still don;t know why they are not happy with lach edwards.  Why make a hole if there is not one there.  (imo)

They're willing to let him walk to help their comp formula, I'd bet. Would you trade a punter for, say, a 4th round pick? 

As of right now, we've brought in 2 qualifying FAs (Fant, McGovern) and lost probably 2 (Shell & likely Canady) (I'm assuming Canady got enough money to qualify for the formula if he took a deal on day 1 of free agency. Not just vet minimum). We still have Beacham, Robby Anderson, Jordan Jenkins and a number of others who could sign with other teams. Anderson and Jenkins in particular look like they're going to sign contracts for large dollars that could net 4th Rounders as comp picks so long as we don't sign more free agents then we lose.

• Upvote 2

As a fan, it always irritated me to hear over the Jets decades that you "build through the draft".

It's true, we've had the big ticket free agents, so have the Giants, we all witnessed that it generally means nothing beyond fans feeling good  going into camp. If you draft poorly, you can't free agent your way to contention with two or three stars, you're screwed either way. There isn't enough cap room to build a contending team that is dependent on top tier free agent money. You can enjoy wearing your Adams jersey while sitting on someone's sofa watching someone else's team in the super bowl. The only hope of contending is stringing together a bunch of good drafts and maybe trading some of your current rooster players into draft choices. We either trade one/some of the meagre talent on our roster and/or we trade down; alternatively we have to get incredibly New Orleans lucky in consecutive drafts. It is what it is, liverwurst at best on a good day.

• Upvote 1

Correction: great teams draft well. Big money in FA is the Hail Mary if you draft like garbage. But a Hail Mary has a better chance of succeeding than doing nothing when your roster stinks.

Hail Marys in your first offseason are what create problems down the road. We’ve seen that script before here.

He’s not “doing nothing”, and he’s not throwing Hail Marys. The plan that involves signing the big names never works. Ever.

Mosley and Bell were Hail Marys last year. How did that work out?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Its amazing how some are sh*tting on JD because he didn't make some sort of splash in free agency. He made some really smart signings and that is all we can ask after 3 days. I

There's a place in between, where one isn't sh*tting on him, but also not patting him on the back... nor should we yet. Smart signings? He made signings. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hail Marys in your first offseason are what create problems down the road. We’ve seen that script before here.

He’s not “doing nothing”, and he’s not throwing Hail Marys. The plan that involves signing the big names never works. Ever.

Mosley and Bell were Hail Marys last year. How did that work out?

It comes down to whether he has the goods in the draft or not. We shall see

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Sure, not saying it’s binary. But it’s day 3 of the new season and the GM signed 3/5 of the OL with young, reasonably paid guys with some upside.  connor is above average.  Lewis and Fant can be upgraded via draft and cut after this year; or if they play well can be kept in the cheap. Best Cb resigned to a good deal. Rest of FA and the Draft still to come.

it’s day 3, I like the disciplined approach more focused on short term flexibility and long term sustained success 

I understand what you're preaching. I would likely run the ship more akin to JD than previous parties..... 

But forget the salaries for a moment... It's about talent.

Fant doesn't move the needle. A Swing-Tackle is an underwhelming swing at Tackle. We don't need to get into who would have done what, etc... There's been opportunities to prudently raise the talent bar, and we haven't been apart of those announcements yet. 

It is what it is. I'm holding my breath, for now. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is like a child’s tantrum.

The best teams/franchises opt out of free agency all the time. It’s the place to find second and third tier band-aids, not long term solutions. Nothing more, nothing less.

lol you can't ignore what his post said to illicit that response. 

I'm proud to hold judgment. JD hasn't done anything stupid yet, but he hasn't done anything to write about either. McGovern is solid. We needed that, at least. 

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

There's a place in between, where one isn't sh*tting on him, but also not patting him on the back... nor should we yet. Smart signings? He made signings. 

Yes, yes he made signings. Resigning Lewis and Poole and signing McGovern and Fant, Maybe none spectacular but all good signings. Addressing and adding depth on the teams weakest position is a good thing. Only 3 days into free agency and with his first draft to come. Lets give the guy some slack. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2