Source~ What JD’s Doing

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I certainly hope that’s the case.  I think it’s more likely they took a couple of swing and misses at the guys they wanted and had to over pay and move quickly to lock-in their 3rd tier guy in Fant.

Even if you’re right, doesn’t mean they’re right and certainly doesn’t mean he’s disciplined.  Not saying it won’t work out but, again, people are acting like he’s already some master strategist around here.  He didn’t overpay the top guys but then went on to overpay the 3rd tier guy.  I’m just not sure how great of a move that was.  I hope it turns out to be a great move, I just don’t often see these types of reaches work.

I think it's more accurate to say that people are expressing support for the good moves he's made (McGovern and Poole, for example), wait and see on guys like Fant. No one really knows what we have in Douglas at this point. He is showing us as he goes through the paces and we wlll all have an opinion based on some actual evidence after the draft. Until then, we have the usual suspects here needing to have an opinion when none is really required or based on much of anything. Such are message boards. Most of the commentary is just empty blather.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I understand what you're preaching. I would likely run the ship more akin to JD than previous parties..... 
But forget the salaries for a moment... It's about talent.
Fant doesn't move the needle. A Swing-Tackle is an underwhelming swing at Tackle. We don't need to get into who would have done what, etc... There's been opportunities to prudently raise the talent bar, and we haven't been apart of those announcements yet. 
It is what it is. I'm holding my breath, for now. 

So what moves the needle then? Who would you have gone after?

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The roster, particularly on offense has to see a major upgrade.  At this point I haven’t seen that.
Not sure how disciplined it is to give $9mm a year to a backup tackle. 

More importantly, he wasn’t hired for discipline. He was hired to make the roster better.  Hope he can do better. 

I think he's done a great job so far. The guy we got from Seattle is good - watch the tape. I have a friend who's a Seahawks fan and was pissed Seattle let him walk. Here's an article on the situation prior to us signing him and some clips. 

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/2/13/21136187/gm-will-give-seattle-seahawks-george-fant-starter-money-free-agent-bosa-barnett-davenport-garrett

Then we signed Connor McGovern, was 2nd best Center in free agency... did a good job in Denver and he's durable, also can play Guard... solid pickup. If a Center like Cushenberry dropped to us in the third, I'd grab him and move Mcgovern to G. JD supposed to be a genius when it comes to building OL so I have faith in him in that regard. 

We resigned Alex Lewis, who played well enough when he had to fill in that I like the resign. 

We resigned Poole who prob performed the best out of all our CBs last year... was one of the most effective nickel corners in the league. 

I would like to see them make a play for a top CB and/or Clowney

WRs I wouldn't mind them going after: 

Breshad Perriman

Phillip Dorsett (value)

Josh Gordon (I heard they won't be testing for weed anymore (have not personally confirmed that) - so he's a green light if that's indeed true)

Demarcus Robinson - deep threat, only 25, lots of potential there

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The market runs rampant in free agency. It’s not an effective gauge on whether a player is worth the money he gets.

Are you wishing we’d emulate the Browns?

There is a lot of green space between "do nothing" and "browns." I'm suggesting JD occupy some of that.

8 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

You're married to this narrative, but it's wrong. Fant didn't get overpaid; it's actually a very reasonable deal for a player with his profile and upside. But you won't get that until the games start in 2021

I find your narrative to be wishful thinking.  

Upside or potential in 5th players that have been back ups or ranked the 62nd T in the league - is what you tell yourself when you lost out on the top guys you wanted and now had to move quickly by overpaying said 62nd ranked Tackle.  

it happens in FA all the time, no biggie, but let’s call it what it was.  

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was hired to build a perennial contender, not sign all the big FAs year 1 so we can go 8-8.

When exactly should the roster be better than the worst in the league? Year 3?

im not saying is should be now - just that we shouldn’t be congratulating the guy for a downgraded roster.  Which is what you and many others are doing. 

im giving him time. I’ve said many times, I don’t think he’s done a bad job.  I just don’t see this offensive roster any better than the one that finished last in the league.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

When exactly should the roster be better than the worst in the league? Year 3?

im not saying is should be now - just that we shouldn’t be congratulating the guy for a downgraded roster.  Which is what you and many others are doing. 

im giving him time. I’ve said many times, I don’t think he’s done a bad job.  I just don’t see this offensive roster any better than the one that finished last in the league.  

The chances that any team competes in 2020 with an overhauled roster is practically impossible. Face the facts. There are not going to be mini camps. There are not going to be extended periods for players to go over play books.

2020 NFL is going to be scrimmage games and those teams that are successful because they have had some continuity. The Jets are not one of those teams because of past personnel failures.

I refuse to get upset by that based on what is going on around me in this beautiful world.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The chances that any team competes in 2020 with an overhauled roster is practically impossible. Face the facts. There are not going to be mini camps. There are not going to be extended periods for players to go over play books.

2020 NFL is going to be scrimmage games and those teams that are successful because they have had some continuity. The Jets are not one of those teams because of past personnel failures.

I refuse to get upset by that based on what is going on around me in this beautiful world.

So, because of the apocalypse and the level of play overall is going to be sh—ty you don’t want to see an upgraded roster?

• Thumb Down 2

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hail Marys in your first offseason are what create problems down the road. We’ve seen that script before here.

He’s not “doing nothing”, and he’s not throwing Hail Marys. The plan that involves signing the big names never works. Ever.

Mosley and Bell were Hail Marys last year. How did that work out?

To your point, the Browns won the last pre season-How did that work out?

• Upvote 1

okay so douglas didn't get the big time oline players like thuney and conklin.  the jets tried but coudn't get the deal done.  but then he continued to emphacise the oline and signed some decent players in fant, lewis and mcgovern.  the question everyone needs to be asking is how much better would an oline with conklin and thuney be versus one with fant, lewis, and mcgovern?  hard to say.  what's the criteria?  are we going to say if darnold gets sacked and injured the oline is a failure?  that's soccer mom talk because qb is a hazardous position.  so while they didn't improve the oline from D to B they at least got to a C and it sets the stage for continued build out through the draft.  that's a good thing.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

okay so douglas didn't get the big time oline players like thuney and conklin.  the jets tried but coudn't get the deal done.  but then he continued to emphacise the oline and signed some decent players in fant, lewis and mcgovern.  the question everyone needs to be asking is how much better would an oline with conklin and thuney be versus one with fant, lewis, and mcgovern?  hard to say.  what's the criteria?  are we going to say if darnold gets sacked and injured the oline is a failure?  that's soccer mom talk because qb is a hazardous position.  so while they didn't improve the oline from D to B they at least got to a C and it sets the stage for continued build out through the draft.  that's a good thing.

Just to be clear, Thuney wasn't available. The Pats re-signed him. As I'd rather have McGovern over Glasgow, the only player we are really discussing is Conklin. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Because I am obsessed with this issue, I think it’s going to be hiiiighly interesting in a few weeks to see how Douglas handles the Adams extension issue. So far, Douglas has been crazy cheap, with zero interest in winning the back pages. Safety salaries have plummeted this offseason back to the 10-11 mil peak, with one of those salaries (Anthony Harris) being the result of a tag that the Vikings already want to trade for a fourth rounder. If Douglas isn’t going to spend an extra $2 mil to bring in a top tackle, it’s hard to see how he’d justify spending 60%-70% over retail for a strong safety.

Tom I think it's pretty clear JD's gonna stick to his script and will offer him a fair market deal, nothing more. He won't cave to public pressure or a slick social media attack from the Prez and his friends. It will be interesting. I've never seen a position salary "shrinkage" like what has happened to the safety position during this FA period.

I don't think not signing Conklin is good example of when JD might stretch the budget a bit. I really think he was never in play for the Jets as he wasn't a scheme fit, a poor pass blocker, was coming off two serious knee injuries as well as concussion protocol and was demanding $20mio guaranteed for 2020. Hopefully with him under contract in Cleveland the Browns don't go OT at 10 which lets one of the stud tackles fall to us at 11. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

we should just opt of out FA. Why bother? 

We can draft all rookie Oline and give a Sam a kiss on the cheek. 

The thing is, Rome was not built in a day; I know you don't want to hear this, because this is what you heard with Mac.  But the fact of the matter is, Douglas inherited a pretty bad team.  MAC was handed a $100 million in free agency, and did NOTHING with it.  TWICE.  What he did do was go big game hunting in a small pond.  And I don't think I need to remind you how bad it went every year we were the winners in spending money in FA

The Conklin signing smells EXACTLY like a move Mac would have made.  3 years, $42?  No thanks.  We have no idea if guys like Bobby Wagner, Graham Glasgow, etc....if they were interested in coming here.  And the only way to get people interested is to overpay.  Overpaying doesn't work.

Fant will probably be nothing more than a one year starter for us.  Get us over the hump while he drafts a LT and a RT.  If Beachum informed him he wasn't coming back, he had to have something.  McGovern is a solid pick-up for right now.  Alex Lewis was a solid pickup.  Getting Poole for $5 million was a steal.  Cutting ties with Johnson.  All solid moves.  So far.

Douglas is going to be judged over the next three years by how well he uses the four picks in the first three rounds this year, and the three the following two years.  There isn't a team in this league that has had any kind of continued success who has not drafted well consistently.  If Douglas can hit a high percentage in his first three picks, and do well at finding the odd gem later on, he will be good.  If he finds role players in the 5th-6th rounds, he will be good.  We have to see what this looks like over the next three years.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Here is why I am willing to give the GM some rope:

-He has mentored under 2 extremely successful organizations. Programs with a track record in terms of how they build teams, and sticking to that blueprint.

-Douglas played the position of offensive lineman. I know this is going out on a limb, but I am willing to gamble on his ranking of worth of the position, rather than some message board heroes.

-Anyone that thought this was going to be a one year rebuild project, is suddenly waking up and realized that the world has changed.

-We are in the first week, of his first offseason with the team.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Just to be clear, Thuney wasn't available. The Pats re-signed him. As I'd rather have McGovern over Glasgow, the only player we are really discussing is Conklin. 

And the knock on Conklin was he is not a great pass blocker & has had injuries. 20 million? GTFOOH! And that the approach JD took. He put a value on him & stuck with it.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Grandy said:

Personally I'm indifferent on JD, but give him a break. When has overpaying on FA's ever worked for us?

When has the draft ever worked for us?

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Keep walking folks, the business side is still in charge while we pay first time GM's and coaches the league minimum that the gullible fanbase continues to believe in as long as we fire them and reset every 3-4 years.

Every Jets fan I know in RL is way beyond "trust but verify" they are all in the "verify then trust" camp when it comes to this team.

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So he's pretty much bringing back the exact same team from the last two years, and this is a good thing?

Just wait until Sam has another mediocre year. There will be many posts about how that's actually a good thing because now we can get Sam to extend for less than $30M a year.

8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Mangenius >Rex>Bowles=Gase

Just when we admit the Jets have a terrible coach, we meet the next man up.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

Tom I think it's pretty clear JD's gonna stick to his script and will offer him a fair market deal, nothing more. He won't cave to public pressure or a slick social media attack from the Prez and his friends. It will be interesting. I've never seen a position salary "shrinkage" like what has happened to the safety position during this FA period.

I don't think not signing Conklin is good example of when JD might stretch the budget a bit. I really think he was never in play for the Jets as he wasn't a scheme fit, a poor pass blocker, was coming off two serious knee injuries as well as concussion protocol and was demanding $20mio guaranteed for 2020. Hopefully with him under contract in Cleveland the Browns don't go OT at 10 which lets one of the stud tackles fall to us at 11. 

Could be a win, win for JD that the Browns have 20 million invested in Conklin for 2020. A LT will fall to the Jets at 11 but will it be the one he's targeting? Stay tuned. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

IMO, it’s a rock and a hard place. I don’t think he can get a big return for Adams because the one team foolish enough to trade a first rounder for him is about to burn their cap space on Dak Prescott, and other teams with functioning GMs aren’t going to want to pay a strong safety $16+ either, especially giving up picks for the right to do so. Presuming Adams’ agent pushes the issue, Douglas has these options:

1. Cave and overpay Adams, who has minimal to zero leverage.

2. Tell Adams to pound sand and dare him to hold out.

3. Trade Adams to some other team looking to move a big player (Cleveland/OBJ-ish)

4. Trade Adams and get back a package of lesser picks. A two and four in 2020, plus a third in 2021. Something to that effect.

• Upvote 2