3 Cheap FAs the Jets SHOULD Target

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

CB - Prince Amukamara - Over 70 grade in coverage last 3 years

G - Stefen Wisniewski - Graded over 70 in 7 of last 9 years

EDGE - Vinny Curry - Douglas connection, posted 2 best grade in his last 3 years, Pass Rush Grade 79.8 (Clowney was a 79.1)

Doubt Wisniewski....JD passed on him last spring before he signed, think for Kalil. Isn't Vinny Curry more of an interior guy? Had to refrain from Typing DT.?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

EDGE - Vinny Curry - Douglas connection, posted 2 best grade in his last 3 years, Pass Rush Grade 79.8 (Clowney was a 79.1)

Yes. Except Curry. Just pay Clowney. An every down guy with similar pass rush stats to a guy that basically plays like DPR is an excellent investment.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Doubt Wisniewski....JD passed on him last spring before he signed, think for Kalil. Isn't Vinny Curry more of an interior guy? Had to refrain from Typing DT.?

I think it was Mack that passed on Wisniewski. They met and he never signed him.  He was signed by the time JD moved shops to Florham Park. At least that's how I remember it.   There was no one available when we grabbed Kalil out of his lazy boy. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Hey!  That's right. GB loves some Prince Amukamara. lol

he's the perfect hold the fort guy for 2 years. I'd think $6-8 mil per for 2-3 years would get it done and I'm really hoping it happens. And as we discussed, it wouldn't cut against the Comp pick equation. Coming out in the plus for comp picks would be a great start to the turn around. 

• Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Are those Madden grades ? jk

• Haha 1

I think Wisniewski and Curry really push the concept of Hold the Fort.  You have to assume guys like that keep declining.  So I would not sign them unless they were cheaper than someone younger who can fill spot and potentially be better than last year.  

Prince I would sign.  He or Darby, or someone like that.  Need at least one more, plus a draft pick.  

We have draft picks.  So there would appear to be logic in releasing guys like Roberts and Winters and spend the money on Clowney.  It would appear that perhaps they are going with Avery rather than sign Burgess and Hewitt for more money.  

There is a plan here. 

• Upvote 2

All 3 of those guys would be nice additions and shouldn't cost a ton.

I'm starting to lean into the "sign Clowney" camp. The guy is a very complete player even though he has never lived up to his hype. I understand that Joe D. is trying to build a team smart, and by not just throwing money at the big names in Free Agency, but even the best teams in the league are willing to spend for top talent when it's available. The Packers did it last year with Zadarius Smith. The Jets need a pass rusher that can change the entire look of this defense and Clowney would do that.

Douglas talked about how he wanted to prioritize addressing the edge last year.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Yes. Except Curry. Just pay Clowney. An every down guy with similar pass rush stats to a guy that basically plays like DPR is an excellent investment.

The thing I can't stand about Clowney is that he gets a cr*p ton of penalties. When I did my FMK series he has 50 and the next closest edge rusher was like 24. Not to mention he only plays in 75% of games due to injury issues.

25 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

All 3 of those guys would be nice additions and shouldn't cost a ton.

I'm starting to lean into the "sign Clowney" camp. The guy is a very complete player even though he has never lived up to his hype. I understand that Joe D. is trying to build a team smart, and by not just throwing money at the big names in Free Agency, but even the best teams in the league are willing to spend for top talent when it's available. The Packers did it last year with Zadarius Smith. The Jets need a pass rusher that can change the entire look of this defense and Clowney would do that.

Douglas talked about how he wanted to prioritize addressing the edge last year.

I'm just concerned Clowney will get paid and just shut down like Mo did. I'm pretty set on holding my stance on Clowney, as impressive as he is at times. Just a lot of penalties and injuries for a guy that's going to cost $20m.

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm just concerned Clowney will get paid and just shut down like Mo did. I'm pretty set on holding my stance on Clowney, as impressive as he is at times. Just a lot of penalties and injuries for a guy that's going to cost $20m.

Meh

Clowney was paid as soon as he walked into the league as the #1 overall pick.

I’ve never really questioned his effort. 

He’s not the 18 sack a year juggernaut that he was projected to be, but he’s one of the best edge defenders in the league against the run, will still give you 8-10 sacks a season, can play with his hand in the dirt or as a standup OLB, and just turned 27 in February.

And even though he isn’t some elite sack artist, the guy is still a total f*cking freak who can do things that guys like Jordan Jenkins just simply aren’t incapable of.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Meh

He’s not the 18 sack a year juggernaut that he was projected to be, but he’s one of the best edge defenders in the league against the run, will still give you 8-10 sacks a season, can play with his hand in the dirt or as a standup OLB, and just turned 27 in February.

And even though he isn’t some elite sack artist, the guy is still a total f*cking freak who can do things that guys like Jordan Jenkins just simply aren’t incapable of.

Clowney hasn't been able to REALLY cash in though. Yea he's made more than most guys but you're talking $43m in 6 years. Once he gets this deal you are probably talking close to $100m guaranteed on a 5 year deal. It's just a lot of money to pay for someone who has only been available for 75% of his teams games. 

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Meh

I would definitely target Clowney who as you said is an elite run stopper and a good pass rusher. Although he's athletic he can't turn those pressures into sacks. Then you add in the scarcity of edge guys and how lucky over the years we've been in getting one. Then if Joe is signing him we should be confident that it's for a fair offer as his medical is a concern. 

If he turned 27, then we can have him for 3 solid years and possibly release him before he hits 30 if he can no longer hold up.