Does anyone think the NFL season will take place as scheduled?

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

I laugh at you for using the word fact in the same breath as Chinese government.

These are all things that are easily verified. There are videos of the hospitals being built and being taken down. That is not hard to verify.

It is accepted as universal fact that China locked down 18 cities on January 24.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its been 5 days. Yes, there will be an NFL season. 

I dont think it will delay one bit. The economy is strained enough as it is, if we are at the point where the nfl season has to get pushed back in late august, the United States will basically be on f

The way things have been going, it doesn't feel like we're anywhere close to resuming sports (or life in general).  I'm seeing headlines like "Stay Home for 18 Months". 

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

These are all things that are easily verified. There are videos of the hospitals being built and being taken down. That is not hard to verify.

It is accepted as universal fact that China locked down 18 cities on January 24.

It is also accepted as universal fact that they lied through their teeth at the beginning and covered a lot of it up. 

And now all of a sudden the video from China, and their "timeline" of defeating it should be taken at word. 

Cmon man. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

All these closings and quarantines are pretty much designed to flatten the curve over the course of a month and have it somewhat under control by then. I expect the NFL draft to take place before June, and the season to get underway as scheduled. 

NFL Draft will happen on time in April. The season may get underway as scheduled, but I doubt it - and if it does, games will be played in empty stadiums

54 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Global resources are working around the clock on vaccines and treatments.

I have to believe everything will be fast tracked and distributed before Fall.

The timeline to a vaccine is 15-18 months. That's not because things aren't fast-tracked, it's because you need to take time after testing the vaccine to be sure there are no adverse effects on human subjects (i.e. that the vaccine isn't going to hurt people) and once approved need to ramp up to production and distribution. No amount of resources can speed up that timeline.

Do not expect a vaccine in the near term. Do expect a series of on/off quarantines in the interim - two months on, one month off - until we're certain we have the health system capacity to withstand an unsuppressed outbreak 

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

The timeline to a vaccine is 15-18 months. That's not because things aren't fast-tracked, it's because you need to take time after testing the vaccine to be sure there are no adverse effects on human subjects (i.e. that the vaccine isn't going to hurt people) and once approved need to ramp up to production and distribution. No amount of resources can speed up that timeline.

Do not expect a vaccine in the near term. Do expect a series of on/off quarantines in the interim - two months on, one month off - until we're certain we have the health system capacity to withstand an unsuppressed outbreak 

no chance in hell a vaccine isn't accelerated significantly over the normal timeline. Heck, human testing has already begun months ahead of regular schedule. The vaccine for h1n1 was developed and deployed in less than a year... 

1 hour ago, slats said:

All these closings and quarantines are pretty much designed to flatten the curve over the course of a month and have it somewhat under control by then. I expect the NFL draft to take place before June, and the season to get underway as scheduled. 

2 months, Slats. The difficulty is that if you take the quarantine distancing off, the curve un-flattens again. Read the Imperial College report; it's sobering. That's why I'm expecting on/off quarantines - released as the health system moves away from the danger of being overwhelmed, reimposed as infection rates start rising again with the release of the quarantines/distancing

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I think it's a 4 month stretch before return to normalcy based on what's happening in China.  Hopefully by training camp.  Obviously there are bigger concerns but it will be ironic if viruses torpedo 2 of Darnold's first three seasons.

Wow that's right.  Crazy!  Jetsy!

Just now, nico002 said:

no chance in hell a vaccine isn't accelerated significantly over the normal timeline. Heck, human testing has already begun months ahead of regular schedule. The vaccine for h1n1 was developed and deployed in less than a year... 

h1n1 was a flu; the vaccine there was built on vaccines in existence already. This is completely different, virologically.

But don't take my word for it.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/fauci-vaccine-least-year-away-covid-19-death-toll-rises-9-seattle

• Upvote 3

The NFL is going to play a season, even if it has to be delayed 2 or 3 months.

The problem is the NCAA may not play football this year, and that would throw the '21 FA period and raft into chaos. How do you grade, draft players who haven't been on the field from December of '19 in April of '21???

• Thumb Down 1
10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

It is also accepted as universal fact that they lied through their teeth at the beginning and covered a lot of it up. 

And now all of a sudden the video from China, and their "timeline" of defeating it should be taken at word. 

Cmon man. 

The fact that satellites sho the building and removal of the hospitals?

Those things are not difficult to prove.

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

The scientists say it'll take a year minimnum to develop a vaccine. 

These are unprecedented times. The global economy is grinding to a halt.  Humanity isn't going to just let this happen because of typical government bureaucracies. 

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

These are unprecedented times. The global economy is grinding to a halt.  Humanity isn't going to just let this happen because of typical government bureaucracies. 

Hopefully you're right.  And hopefully we will learn lessons that will prevent such bureaucracy in the future.

Again, hopefully!

30 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I said vaccines and treatments.  Agree vaccines will take a bit longer than the treatments but everything is going to move a lot more faster than in ordinary times.  Social distancing is a now thing to buy time until the cavalry (pharmaceuticals) can swoop in and end this nightmare.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Hopefully you're right.  And hopefully we will learn lessons that will prevent such bureaucracy in the future.

Again, hopefully!

I hope so too.  In the meantime, do everything to protect yourself and loved ones.  And start taking zinc supplements if you can get your hands on them!

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

h1n1 was a flu; the vaccine there was built on vaccines in existence already. This is completely different, virologically.

But don't take my word for it.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/fauci-vaccine-least-year-away-covid-19-death-toll-rises-9-seattle

$100 bucks that its less than a year?

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has them. I believe this will be under control and the curve flattened by middle of May, 60 days. That leaves plenty of time for the country to get back to some normalcy and for training camp to resume basically on time. 

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The way things have been going, it doesn't feel like we're anywhere close to resuming sports (or life in general).  I'm seeing headlines like "Stay Home for 18 Months". 

Without a doubt the NFL season will start on time.  I say mid April this will be over with.  

4 hours ago, slats said:

Here's to hoping it works despite idiots like the kids in Clearwater FL sucking face and spreading the virus all over the beaches, which need to be closed btw.

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

I'm ready for the Chinese Virus to be defeated by mid June. Then we can start training camp in July. So yes,  we will have a full 16 game season. 

As someone who has followed your predictions in the past, I was hoping you'd go the other way on this... 😜

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's also possible they killed a bunch of their own citizens via firing squad.  Wouldn't be surprised at all.  Meanwhile ours are at the beach enjoying Spring Break.

Hard to trust what''s going on over there, and hard to translate whatever they did over to the US. 

The communist parties have always covered up disasters, called those who expose failures as “enemies” and have repressed any internal dissent to their policies. 

The Soviets, Chinese, Cambodians, North Vietnamese (after their conquest of the South especially) Ethiopians conducted famines and terror campaigns that killed tens of millions combined. The Soviets covered up disasters like a nuclear powerplant meltdown and a biological weapons lab accident, all were covered up.

• Like 1

All this talk about the season and sports in genera I have a hard time being able to plug myself into even thinking about it. 

here in PA the first confirmed death was someone who worked directly behind my girlfriend,s grandparents house. Scary stuff

i don’t know any of you people personally and sure I get sick of some people’s views on certain topics here but 

hope you all are safe and stay safe til this all gets to a manageable level. Things are rising in the US at an alarming rate right now and only going to paint a more true picture once more people are tested. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If the worst-case scenario unfolds and 150 million Americans catch the virus and 3-4 million die there will be no baseball or football season period.  My own personal opinion - the worst case scenario is more likely than not unless the entire country goes into quarantine within the next two weeks.

3 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Season may start. But they'll be playing in empty stadiums. That's a guarantee. 

They lose money if they do that.  It costs $80-100k just to open a stadium for a game

20 minutes ago, deucebag said:

If the worst-case scenario unfolds and 150 million Americans catch the virus and 3-4 million die there will be no baseball or football season period.  My own personal opinion - the worst case scenario is more likely than not unless the entire country goes into quarantine within the next two weeks.

The numbers don’t even have to be that extreme.  The problem is Americans are so morbidly obese and have other health issues like smoking that make them particularly vulnerable to this sh t

if the Tokyo Olympics get canceled it’s over Johnny

Most of the money comes from TV contracts.  

Step 1 would be to keep the players healthy enough to play.  

Playing to empty stadiums would be a good objective.  

American business is going to kick in soon.  If in September we are completely shutdown, we will all be bankrupt.

If they find a way to get people to work in offices and factories by then, which they will need to, they will find a way to get 100 football players to play a game.  

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

I am really not sure.  I have a feeling that this will be going on for a lot longer than people expect.  These things generally come in waves. 

There’s no vaccine or cure for another year.  It will calm down in the summer.  Life will return to semi normal and then the weather will turn bad again in late September and there will be another outbreak