If Clowney drops his price are you in or out?

If Clowney drops his asking price to 18 per...  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in or out?

• In
    • Out

I have to say let's do it - he'd be an immediate impact pass rusher. If we're not going to address CB with a big splash, the only way to make our ehhh CB lives easier is to hit the QB early and often. Clowney will give us that immediately

He's also versatile enough for Gregg Williams to get creative with

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

This is far from true. It was Clowney who was by himself taking on the double teams. Watt play 6 games healthy and 8 games total out of the 32 games in 2017 & 18.

Interesting.  I just checked on the stats for Watt and was surprised to see that he was out as much as he was. He only played 16 games once in the past 4 years and 8 last year. The year he played 16 games he had 16 sacks, 18 tfl and 7 FF. Crazy stats. 

Clowney had one if his two seasons with 9 sacks that year. He definitely be benefited from  Having Watt there. Clowney fell off of a cliff last year as far as the stats go. He's a good player but he's not the guy worthy of a $20 mil contract. That's for damn sure. 

Thanks for the clarification. 

• Upvote 3

Looking purely at sack totals to judge Clowney or any other edge is not really a good idea. Many factors go into sack totals including luck. 

Some guys get 15 sacks 1 year and then 6 the following year. They didn't play worse, they didn't try less, they just didn't fall into as many sacks. 

Clowney is a complete player. A top tier DE worth a  big pay day. I am not breaking the bank for him but if the price drops enough I am willing to lock him up. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It’s like we don’t want good players for some reason.  If the price is right he would immediately be the best player on the defense (yes, more impactful than Adams)

Problem for me is Clowney strikes me as the type that won't be as productive once he gets paid.  If we can guarantee that by spending $18M per we get a bigtime disruptive force off the EDGE, great.  But we can't.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, varjet said:

Clowney is not a guy you guarantee for more than a year.  If you want him, you need to make a bet, but not more than a 1 year bet.

These DL are mercenaries who sign one year contracts.  Sheldon got 2, after a few 1s.  

There are no real EDGEs to draft, and we want to use the picks on other players that we can lock up for 4 years.  

It would taste lousy, but worth the shot.  

Problem is if you try to sign Clowney to a 1 or 2-year deal, he'll likely want a good bit more than $18M per year, even after lowering his price.

Just don’t see it unless it is like a one year “prove it” deal which is not happening.

I think JD is waiting for the frenzy to die down and then you will see him make a few moves. Rumors have been floated about that Bulaga from Green Bay might get released. That would be a guy that I would hope JD would jump on

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Problem for me is Clowney strikes me as the type that won't be as productive once he gets paid.  If we can guarantee that by spending $18M per we get a bigtime disruptive force off the EDGE, great.  But we can't.  

There is no question that’s a concern and we’ve seen plenty of that lately.  

I would think the contract has to be short enough that he’ll have an opportunity for another one if he plays well.  One year won’t get it done but maybe 2 years guaranteed full with a small cut value in year 3.  

He’s young enough that there’s def. another contract for him if he plays well.

• Upvote 1

Well it is telling that the Seahawks offered him 18.5. Not having watched him play much after the trade, the low sack # is a concern. Obviously they feel it isn't a representation of his value.

I like the splash factor of it, it would get Jets fans excited. Not that it makes it right for those reason. But one day they will make a splash and get it right, unlike past GMs.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well it is telling that the Seahawks offered him 18.5. Not having watched him play much after the trade, the low sack # is a concern. Obviously they feel it isn't a representation of his value.

I like the splash factor of it, it would get Jets fans excited. Not that it makes it right for those reason. But one day they will make a splash and get it right, unlike past GMs.

Keep him playing on 1 year deals. Everytime I've seen Clowney play he disrupts, it's not just about sacks. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Problem is if you try to sign Clowney to a 1 or 2-year deal, he'll likely want a good bit more than $18M per year, even after lowering his price.

So offer him a 3 year deal at $45 million with player option after the first season 

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2020 at 6:35 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

He's a disruptive player who lives in the backfield against the run and the pass. Sack numbers aren't great but he's definitely an impact player. If the price is right I'd definitely sniff around.

And in GW's system...never know, could be great

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 3/19/2020 at 6:35 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

He's a disruptive player who lives in the backfield against the run and the pass. Sack numbers aren't great but he's definitely an impact player. If the price is right I'd definitely sniff around.

Sounds like Leonard Williams.

how bout we just draft another DT instead

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

"Good players should play here for less than market value. Average players should play for free. Bad players should pay us to play here."

I'm not sure that $20M is the market value for a guy with 3 sacks.

Seems like the rest of the NFL doesn't think so either 

• Upvote 1

Here's my proposal to Clowney:

5 yrs $100 million

$25 million signing bonus

Year 1

$7 million roster bonus,  $2 million base,  $5 million pro-rated SB. 

Cap Hit $14 Million

Year 2

$7 million roster bonus, $3 million base,  $5 million pro-rated SB

Cap Hit $15 million

Year 3

$8 million roster bonus, $4 million base, $5 million pro-rated SB

Cap Hit $17 million

Year 4

$7 million roster bonus,  $12 million base,  $5 million pro-rated SB

Cap Hit $24 million

If cut prior to year 4 it's a $10 million Dead Money hit,  $14 million savings 

Year 5

$7 million roster bonus, $18 million salary,  $5 million pro-rated SB

Cap Hit $30 million

If cut before year 5 it's a $5 million Dead Money, $25 million savings

This is essentially a 3 yr $56 million deal.  It pays him $44 million thru year 2 which is a great deal for him.  It also gives the Jets an out after year 3 with substantial savings. It also keeps the cap number down the first 3 years as well. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Here's my proposal to Clowney:

5 yrs $100 million

$25 million signing bonus

Year 1

$7 million roster bonus,  $2 million base,  $5 million pro-rated SB. 

Cap Hit $14 Million

Year 2

$7 million roster bonus, $3 million base,  $5 million pro-rated SB

Cap Hit $15 million

Year 3

$8 million roster bonus, $4 million base, $5 million pro-rated SB

Cap Hit $17 million

Year 4

$7 million roster bonus,  $12 million base,  $5 million pro-rated SB

Cap Hit $24 million

If cut prior to year 4 it's a $10 million Dead Money hit,  $14 million savings 

Year 5

$7 million roster bonus, $18 million salary,  $5 million pro-rated SB

Cap Hit $30 million

If cut before year 5 it's a $5 million Dead Money, $25 million savings

This is essentially a 3 yr $56 million deal.  It pays him $44 million thru year 2 which is a great deal for him.  It also gives the Jets an out after year 3 with substantial savings. It also keeps the cap number down the first 3 years as well. 

I really don't want Clowney but if this were the contract I'd sign up for it

We can't get sidetracked buying broken goods. This is a 3 year draft by Douglas to become competitive. Fix the line with 2 more Draftees, one in the first one in the third. We can pick a good receiver in 2 take a swing in later rounds for corners and pass rushers. Get Robby signed.

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2020 at 6:26 PM, Patriot Killa said:

18 mill per year. You in or out?

Oh crap.  I voted In before i saw $18mill.  I would be out at that price.  I would only be in at $15mill/yr/$30mill guaranteed/ dont care how many fake yrs are tacked on at the end.  Could make it 10yr/ billion dollar contract with a $900mill 10th yr, only 2yrs of guaranteed money with that guy, and 70% chance he is cut next off season.  

Dude is an often injured Calvin Pace, but if he would ever live up to his potential, it would be with Greg Williams coaching him.

16 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Agents pissed they can’t use Jets to drive up the price of their players, or get the Jets to bid against themselves on a player.

Agreed 100%,  That post is about the best thing I could have heard. I absolutely love it even if we lose out on a few guys this year. Putting the world on notice that the parents have come home in Florham park and the party is over will go a long way toward ending the BS we've dealt with over the years.  I can only imagine just how many times we've been used to raise prices for FA's that never had any intention of coming here. 

I can remember as far back as Reggie Nelson and it went on yearly from there. just the worst.  

Joe Douglas has some tough work to shed the reputation the Jets have had for a long time. Hearing things like that make me so hopeful that the works is already well on its way. 

Go Get em Joe!!!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed 100%,  That post is about the best thing I could have heard. I absolutely love it even if we lose out on a few guys this year. Putting the world on notice that the parents have come home in Florham park and the party is over will go a long way toward ending the BS we've dealt with over the years.  I can only imagine just how many times we've been used to raise prices for FA's that never had any intention of coming here. 

I can remember as far back as Reggie Nelson and it went on yearly from there. just the worst.  

Joe Douglas has some tough work to shed the reputation the Jets have had for a long time. Hearing things like that make me so hopeful that the works is already well on its way. 

Go Get em Joe!!!

Although Douglas as a lot of making up to do over the Ryan Kalil, and Kelechi Osemele, debacle. I like how he’s doing things in F.A and signing good players on Jet friendly contracts. 

We aren’t paying Clowney $20+ mill per. He’s going to re-sign with the Seahawks.

Lets see if this guy can draft, the roster is so broken, it’s going to take a couple of years to get it in shape anyway.