OT: I just tested positive with COVID

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Because when the dust settles this will end up having a 0.1% death rate affecting mostly those over 80. 150k people die globally every day, 25k people died of the flu in Italy in 2018, 25k people have died of hunger this year, 2M have died of smoking related illnesses. Death is part of life.

That's the death rate for the flu. For this virus much higher.  Plus it spreads much faster. This is stupid talk. Death is part of life but the idea is we save lives. We don't know what the raw data is going to be on this virus it's too early to know. But in 1918, 50 million people died from a virus incl. my own grandfather. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

That's the death rate for the flu. For this virus much higher.  Plus it spreads much faster. This is stupid talk. Death is part of life but the idea is we save lives. 

We can save 10x more lives by simply banning smoking. 

The halo effect of a devastated economy will bring much more death and suffering than the virus. 

Its a fact that at LEAST 9/10 covid cases are asymptotic/undetectable. The real death rate of this disease is something society can easily tolerate. We should be putting all of our resources into increasing hospital bed and ventilator capacity to treat the small % that will need it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

We can save 10x more lives by simply banning smoking. 

The halo effect of a devastated economy will bring much more death and suffering than the virus. 

Its a fact that at LEAST 9/10 covid cases are asymptotic/undetectable. The real death rate of this disease is something society can easily tolerate. We should be putting all of our resources into increasing hospital bed and ventilator capacity to treat the small % that will need it. 

You don't know what the numbers are going to be or the spread. Esp if you go back to business as usual and there is more spread. I don't agree with your talking points they are irresponsible. We could be talking about millions of people getting it over time. And if 1% dies that's millions. We have to prevent that not accept it. 

The only numbers we have on this virus are via other countries. And what they did to stop it. And the only remedy was closing up shop. In China they enforced it and numbers at least for now are going down. That could change too if there is a second wave. You don't roll the dice with pandemics because millions can die incl. younger people. 

• Upvote 1

What’s up jets nation!!! So updates: I’m like 85% better, would be 109 but I have a 7 month old that wakes up no later than 6am and I take first shift (6-830 feed play then nap at 830) and our babysitter due to the virus is staying away (we love her and respect the decision). But wife and son are awesome, happy as can be. Sister no symptoms and chilling (she’s 22 and is treating this as a self care quarantine, can’t be mad at it). My mom is like 75% better. Still slight cough but up and about working from home. Dads like 60/65% he’s 75 so it’s hitting him harder. He slept 20 hours yesterday, but feels so much improved today. Still a cough but more energy and up and working. Overall, fam is in great spirits and Saturday is our end quarantine day (it’s killed the parents not being able to be with their grandson [killing us as we need a break just for sleep lol]) . We’re going to start working out outside today on the front yard and take little man for a walk. Keeping 6+ feet distance from everyone not in our house and feeling better everyday. Appreciate all the well wishes and can not wait for the draft. Dig the signings we’ve made. Love you guys and can not wait for gyms to open! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for checking in, this gives a lot of hope!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, British Jet said:

What a weird statement to make.

Is the single most important data point... We need to understand the true death/hospitalization/icu rate of the disease to make decisions that will destroy the economy. All of the data we have now is based soley on the cases confirmed with testing... terrible data...

14 minutes ago, NYallDay said:

What’s up jets nation!!! So updates: I’m like 85% better, would be 109 but I have a 7 month old that wakes up no later than 6am and I take first shift (6-830 feed play then nap at 830) and our babysitter due to the virus is staying away (we love her and respect the decision). But wife and son are awesome, happy as can be. Sister no symptoms and chilling (she’s 22 and is treating this as a self care quarantine, can’t be mad at it). My mom is like 75% better. Still slight cough but up and about working from home. Dads like 60/65% he’s 75 so it’s hitting him harder. He slept 20 hours yesterday, but feels so much improved today. Still a cough but more energy and up and working. Overall, fam is in great spirits and Saturday is our end quarantine day (it’s killed the parents not being able to be with their grandson [killing us as we need a break just for sleep lol]) . We’re going to start working out outside today on the front yard and take little man for a walk. Keeping 6+ feet distance from everyone not in our house and feeling better everyday. Appreciate all the well wishes and can not wait for the draft. Dig the signings we’ve made. Love you guys and can not wait for gyms to open! Lol

So happy that things are going well!  Keep us updated and continued best of luck!!!

• Sympathy 1

Is the single most important data point... We need to understand the true death/hospitalization/icu rate of the disease to make decisions that will destroy the economy. All of the data we have now is based soley on the cases confirmed with testing... terrible data...

It's not percentage of deaths it's number of deaths. And so far the numbers show at least 1% death rate which is ten times higher than the flu plus the spread is much more than the flu. Yesterday the number of deaths increased over 25%. We have over 300 million people in this country. So if it goes unchecked and some areas like Cali predict half their population can get it you're looking at potentially millions of deaths. And not just old people we don't know over time what the complete numbers will be on this.  We do not want another 1918. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rangers9 said:

It's not percentage of deaths it's number of deaths. And so far the numbers show at least 1% death rate which is ten times higher than the flu plus the spread if much more than the flu. Yesterday the number of deaths increased over 25%. We have over 300 million people in this country. So if it goes unchecked and some areas like Cali predict half their population can get it you're looking at potentially millions of deaths. And not just old people we don't know over time what the complete numbers will be on this.  We do not want another 1918. 

What? Death rate is how you project the total number of deaths... If you don't know how many people have the disease you can't accurate project the number of deaths. The real death rate is no where near 1%.. look at Germany and Korea, where testing has been massive and hovers a broader spectrum of the population (not just those sick enough to need a hospital visit)... Death rates of 0.2%-0.5%.. and those are still highly inflated. 

• Upvote 1

What? Death rate is how you project the total number of deaths... If you don't know how many people have the disease you can't accurate project the number of deaths. The real death rate is no where near 1%.. look at Germany and Korea, where testing has been massive and hovers a broader spectrum of the population (not just those sick enough to need a hospital visit)... Death rates of 0.2%-0.5%.. and those are still highly inflated. 

We know the total number of deaths in the US. 547. Over a hundred more than yesterday. We don't accurately know how many people actually have the virus. The figures I saw on CNN were 440000.  The head of the Joint Chiefs of staff today said this will go on at least 90 days. 

• Upvote 1

I personally believe that the number of cases in the US is in the millions, and the disease has been spreading in the country since January.  We simple don't have the testing in place to confirm this theory.

The vast majority of people who get the disease are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms.  The more severe cases from January and February were simply dismissed as the common cold or flu.  These people are/were not being tested, and they are not a part of the "official" numbers.

The real death rate is likely around 0.1% which is on the same level as the flu.

South Korea and Germany have had the best response to this pandemic.  Extensive testing throughout the population and quarantine for those who test positive (both symptomatic and asymptomatic).  You can effective stop or serious slow the spread of the disease in 2 weeks using this approach.

Unfortunately, the leadership of the country left us completely unprepared to implement this strategy, and it's very difficult to get a test even if you are showing symptoms.

It is completely ineffective to implement half measures to shut things down as the US is doing.  All it does is damage the economy and ultimately the economic well being of the people while the virus continues to spread.

• Upvote 2

On 3/22/2020 at 4:50 PM, BROOKLYN JET said:

How reputable was that source when they parroted communist china misinformation?

I'm not referring to the numbers reported, there are more than enough local sources for that.  I'm referring to the information about the disease, symptoms, facts fallacies and ways to protect yourself.  Unless the Chinese have manipulated that also. ? 

25 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I personally believe that the number of cases in the US is in the millions, and the disease has been spreading in the country since January.  We simple don't have the testing in place to confirm this theory.

The vast majority of people who get the disease are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms.  The more severe cases from January and February were simply dismissed as the common cold or flu.  These people are/were not being tested, and they are not a part of the "official" numbers.

The real death rate is likely around 0.1% which is on the same level as the flu.

South Korea and Germany have had the best response to this pandemic.  Extensive testing throughout the population and quarantine for those who test positive (both symptomatic and asymptomatic).  You can effective stop or serious slow the spread of the disease in 2 weeks using this approach.

Unfortunately, the leadership of the country left us completely unprepared to implement this strategy, and it's very difficult to get a test even if you are showing symptoms.

It is completely ineffective to implement half measures to shut things down as the US is doing.  All it does is damage the economy and ultimately the economic well being of the people while the virus continues to spread.

I have been saying that the flu we all had up here in January was covid19. That sickness was unreal, and had all the same symptoms. It lasted 3 freaking weeks to get rid of too.

22 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

All numbers show the death rate is at least 1%. Doctors like Fauci say this is much more contagious and deadly than the flu and there is no serum for it yet. I’m kind of shocked that the administration and so many of their followers seem to be accepting a death rate and ignorantly comparing it to other kinds of deaths. If up you them no doctors or hospitals just let people die. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

All numbers show the death rate is at least 1%. Doctors like Fauci say this is much more contagious and deadly than the flu and there is no serum for it yet. I’m kind of shocked that the administration and so many of their followers seem to be accepting a death rate and ignorantly comparing it to other kinds of deaths. If up you them no doctors or hospitals just let people die. 

You’re absolutely wrong. Look at the numbers in Germany and Korea. The only people being tested in New York are those sick enough to need to get a test (in fact, the only people being tested are those cases where a test can change the medical outcome of the patient). 9/10 people with the virus show little or no symptoms, they aren’t included in the numerator... Italy themselves admitted that the number of cases there is likely at least 10x higher than reported. Use a little deductive reasoning man... part of the reason for the panic is people being terrible at math. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Agree 100.%

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

You’re absolutely wrong. Look at the numbers in Germany and Korea. The only people being tested in New York are those sick enough to need to get a test. 9/10 people with the virus show little or no symptoms, they aren’t included in the numerator... Italy themselves admitted that the number of cases there is likely at least 10x higher than reported. Use a little deductive reasoning man... part of the reason for the panic is people being terrible at math. 

We don’t have conclusive stats on number of people who have it because still not enough tests available. But we know how many positives and how many deaths from coronavirus. The curve is going way up and like Cuomo says will keep getting worse. I saw a figure earlier on CNN of about 540 deaths nationally. Right now it’s up to 613. And the predictions are millions will get the virus and many many more if people go back to work and business as usual. That would be sheer stupidity and crazy. 

• Upvote 1

all I’m going to say is that we should listen to the virus experts and the medical experts and not any politician on either side 

nurses and doctors are getting sick. 

we have to listen to the guidelines suggested by medical people or this is going to get very bad very quickly 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NYallDay said:

Great news.

2 hours ago, NYallDay said:

Very happy to hear. 

1 hour ago, Green DNA said:

I'm not referring to the numbers reported, there are more than enough local sources for that.  I'm referring to the information about the disease, symptoms, facts fallacies and ways to protect yourself.  Unless the Chinese have manipulated that also. ? 

I'm talking about the fact that they reported it was not transferable from human to human. 

I have no prob with my conservative friends. Even though I don't agree with them on anything.  It's a better world with them than without them. But I do have a prob with administration sychophants. Who agree with them on everything. There is no politician I agree with on everything and you shouldn't either. And that's what I'm seeing here even though you will claim it's not political.  Come on man, think for yourself we're not political robots even though we're treated like them.

• Upvote 1

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/former-miss-hawaii-positive-coronavirus

The 25-year-old beauty queen, who was crowned Miss Hawaii in 2015 and later competed in the Miss America pageant, made her plea via a Facebook post on Friday, in which she wrote that she believed she was exposed to the virus during a recent trip to New York City where she said she auditioned for the New York Jets dance team.

3 hours ago, NYallDay said:

Amazing news! Stay healthy brother!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1