OT: I just tested positive with COVID

53 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Because his non-chalant take that this is all overblown and that everything should return to normal while we are still at the beginning of this is insane... 

There is good news to all this but his cure... Is absolute misinformation... There is no cure for viruses... You can be vaccinated before getting it or get relief to systems but cure is only coming from people with no real understanding of diseases... 

Currently there is no vaccination and the relief only works for some but people are still dying... NYC hospitals are at full capacity... And if this follows at all like other countries we at 3-4 weeks behind them... 

The misinformation is ridiculous right now and him complaining he should be able to go to work is part of the naivity of what is going on... 

Luckily he is privileged enough to not have anyone effected by this yet... Numbers are still going up in this country at an expenential rate.. So closing your eyes to that is a disservice to all the people on the ground that are fighting this daily

Oh God. Your outraged by good news. It's silly. Numbers don't lie. Fear does. The flu is more deadly and way more people get it.

No cure huh? Ok buddy I guess these people just making it all up. He is so caught up in Semantics and trying to be right. Whatever.

The point is when the few people who get sick, now have an option  that has shown to let them completely recover. That's a win.

It could be raining and this guy would would swear he wasn't wet.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Youre not very smart. Try again.

15k new cases today in US... Try to learn... Then speak... As I have been saying, ask any nurse or doctor if it's getting better and we have nothing to worry about... But since you are so smart by believing everything fed to you in the press... I guess I am wrong since I have talked to my realitives that are actually in the hospitals and labs fighting the fight... You're ignorance is disgusting and disturbing... You need to grow up and realize they didn't shut down almost the whole world for the flu... 

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

What you are saying is not only wrong, but dangerous. Please stop.

I appreciate your insight. I have no idea what to think. Doctors seem to be conflicted too. My entire family is in the thick of this so I appreciate optimism I guess.

55 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Oh God. Your outraged by good news. It's silly. Numbers don't lie. Fear does. The flu is more deadly and way more people get it.

No cure huh? Ok buddy I guess these people just making it all up. He is so caught up in Semantics and trying to be right. Whatever.

The point is when the few people who get sick, now have an option  that has shown to let them completely recover. That's a win.

It could be raining and this guy would would swear he wasn't wet.

Stop please your ignorance is just getting worse... Stop posting in this thread you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about as many posters that are doctors and nurses in this thread keep pointing out... 

You saying cure is by far one of the dumbest statements yet as the posters above have pointed out...  

YOU ARE THE PROBLEM... Please stop with your absolute bullsh*t and learn before you speak.. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I appreciate your insight. I have no idea what to think. Doctors seem to be conflicted too. My entire family is in the thick of this so I appreciate optimism I guess.

For what it's worth I understand why you are confused... The media is out there saying there is a cure... But actual scientists understand there is no such thing... His miracle drug is simply a treatment to help people breathe again... This is not preventing the spread but may help some covid19 patients actually stay alive, not cure them... 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Skeptable said:

For what it's worth I understand why you are confused... The president is out there saying there is a cure... But actual scientists understand there is no such thing... His miracle drug is simply a treatment to help people breathe again... This is not preventing the spread but may help some covid19 patients actually stay alive, not cure them... 

Birx has been pretty straight forward throughout all of this. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Birx has been pretty straight forward throughout all of this. 

Right, but she has never said cure and she still believes social distancing is necessary... And also believes that this is a global crisis... And if everything goes right it will feel like it was all for nothing... 

But there is still huge problems in NYC and soon Florida and Louisiana... But the sh*t that @BornJetsFan1983 is spewing is wrong, or uninformed and dangerous 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I cannot multi-quote everything wrong in this thread, but I don't think the spread of misinformation is appropriate, especially when it has the potential to be harmful. 

*NYC is still very much an absolute disaster. Every single morning I receive an update regarding our bed capacity (hospitals are running at or near 100% capacity, which is unheard of), our ventilatory capacity (NY state was just approved to utilize two people per vent - which can be done, just requires relatively equal ideal body weight - which suffice to say, does not happen when things are clearing) ICU bed capacity (we are retrofitting every capable room to handle ICU-level care). 

*The "cure," as someone ridiculously mentioned, is an antimalarial drug (Chloroquine) and it's analogue Hydroxchlorquine. The long and short of it: they work via several mechanisms (disrupting cellular receptor ACE2) which in theory makes it particularly effective against SARS and COVID (they need this receptor to be virulent). They've shown in vitro data that it could be helpful. It failed to show anything in mice models. There's reports of it being favorable in Humans from China, but no published data as of yet.  It remains as part of our current recommended treatment regimen, but as of yet, there's no data. We're optimistic, however, remember, the reports are that it helps remission of fever and possible decreased duration of mechanical ventilatory support. But certainly not a cure, which is harmful to suggest. 

*Every single estimate, even the most conservative, is that we aren't going to see a peak, in NYC, until another 2-3 weeks. We are at or near capacity it most NYC hospitals, that is the definition of lack of resources. There's talks of graduating military residents early to have them staff units up in NYC. That doesn't happen because things are clearing up. 

*Perhaps the most important takeaway: the death toll is not going to be just from coronavirus, but all the people who have died for lack of resources. e.g. the number of MIs (heart attacks) is down significantly, as are stroke, bowel perforation, appendicitis etc. do we really think people stopped having MIs because of the virus? No. People aren't coming in. There will be drastic consequences because of the lack of resources that don't pertain to just those in respiratory failure. 

TL:DR NYC is currently dealing with a disaster of epic proportions and it's only going to get worse in the next 2-3 weeks. Hopefully the rest of the country can learn and avoid what's happening here. Stay safe, be smart. 

Thanks for what you are doing, man. And thanks for sharing these updates. Be safe

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, British Jet said:

I do hope you guys get this under control. It’s a long way from Feb 26th when Mr Trump told the world the number of cases would be “going down close to zero soon”...

I wonder if the China numbers are legit.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Agreed

10 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Can’t imagine they are. I’d imagine they’re much higher. 

Many media reports leaking out of China say that hospitals are refusing to treat people so their hospital numbers don't go up in cases and that they are implementing a new policy that all Chinese citizens have to pay up to 400k yuan ($50k US)  to be treated... Who knows how true it is... But since China is suppressing the real news all you get are leaks

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Many media reports leaking out of China say that hospitals are refusing to treat people so their hospital numbers don't go up in cases and that they are implementing a new policy that all Chinese citizens have to pay up to 400k yuan ($50k US)  to be treated... Who knows how true it is... But since China is suppressing the real news all you get are leaks

I saw stuff like that about their lack of insurance, and much worse. (if true)

For what it's worth I understand why you are confused... The president is out there saying there is a cure... But actual scientists understand there is no such thing... His miracle drug is simply a treatment to help people breathe again... This is not preventing the spread but may help some covid19 patients actually stay alive, not cure them... 

Link to an actual quote saying there was a cure? Please

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Link to an actual quote saying there was a cure? Please

You are right, I apologize... I thought I heard it one of his pressers but it was the media that called it the cure https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trump-hypes-potential-covid-19-drugs-but-evidence-so-far-is-slim/

My intention was to stop misinformation that BornJetsFan1983 keeps spewing that there is a cure and I thought the idea of cure came from the presidents mouth and it was the media's retelling of the presidents message...

I am all for anything that helps but I also know from my family members actually in the field how bad it is in some places so having him downplay the outbreak is insane and troubling

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, British Jet said:

I do hope you guys get this under control. It’s a long way from Feb 26th when Mr Trump told the world the number of cases would be “going down close to zero soon”...

Italy populations: 60m

US population: 350m

not to mention that at least 9/10 cases are untested/asymptomatic so the numbers are total garbage... 

Italy only gives you a test if you’re very very sick

people are so misinformed about this thing it’s nauseating 

• Upvote 1

You are right, I apologize... I thought I heard it one of his pressers but it was the media that called it the cure https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trump-hypes-potential-covid-19-drugs-but-evidence-so-far-is-slim/
My intention was to stop misinformation that BornJetsFan1983 keeps spewing that there is a cure and I thought the idea of cure came from the presidents mouth and it was the media's retelling of the presidents message...
I am all for anything that helps but I also know from my family members actually in the field how bad it is in some places so having him downplay the outbreak is insane and troubling

And they wonder why they are called fake news.

Anyway, we all need to take this seriously. I know a twenty something kid who just got over it, but swore she was going to die. She was in really bad shape. Everyone should protect their immune systems and don’t take their health for granted. DO NOT sit home and drink everyday. You will seriously compromise yourself

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Right, but she has never said cure and she still believes social distancing is necessary... And also believes that this is a global crisis... And if everything goes right it will feel like it was all for nothing... 

But there is still huge problems in NYC and soon Florida and Louisiana... But the sh*t that @BornJetsFan1983 is spewing is wrong, or uninformed and dangerous 

Look i get some of you are all scared but try to take a step back and look at the facts. This virus isn't killing hundreds of thousands. 

I'm not sure what you would prefer to call it but if someone is sick from the virus and then they can get treatment and get better, that's sounds like a cure to lowly little misinformed me.

This whole "dont post things cause its dangerous".. how do I even respond to that, than calling it for what it is small minded and foolish. I'm like Galileo over talking the world is not flat and you guys are saying we are all going to fall off.

Nothing dangerous about letting people know there is a promising cure for the virus that is helping people (maybe treatment is a word you would prefer, idk I'm not really up to date on all the PC crap)

10s of thousands of people die from the flu every year and millions are more are infected and that is with a vaccine. This is  nothing compared to it, so sorry I'm not acting like you guys.

The only foolish thing is all these people who act like talking about the facts, the very low fatalities and that the real number of infected is likely to be very much higher than what is reported. 

I thought of this thread as of a way to share info and let posters see what is going on. 

Save your outrage, I'm not saying anything bad and if you are a doctor or nurse and you dont like what I say fine. But eventually you wont be able to ignore the facts and will see the sky isn't falling. 

The reality is fear and panic is much worse and causes more problems than the virus. When more good news comes out I will post it. Since some very vocal naysayers are trying to shut it out.

I'm hoping that the cure is confirmed  and works for everyone who could potentially become fatally effected. It has works already for some and hopefully for any more.

• Thumb Down 4

17 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Italy populations: 60m

US population: 350m

not to mention that at least 9/10 As cases are untested/asymptomatic so the numbers are total garbage... 

Italy only gives you a test if you’re very very sick

people are so misinformed about this thing it’s nauseating 

As Mark Twain said regarding the press: "Believe half of what you see and none of what you read." Someone should mention Russia, which has steadily denied cases and claimed it was somehow magically exempt while the figures now coming out are around 73000 infected there. It's actually disgraceful how many governments, including our own, have actually resisted developing mass testing as a means of minimizing the threat. For two months, in the face of intelligence briefings about the seriousness of the coming pandemic, our fearless leader called it a Democratic hoax and simply failed to lead any sort of preparation at all while people partied at Mardi Gras, and spring breakers flew to Florida to form the biggest petrie dish in history. Now we have evangelical crackpots holding mass church gathering with the claim that the congregations will be cured. The amount of prevarication, greed, lies, stupidity and deception is really mind-boggling. You're right it is nauseating how little we really know.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Look i get some of you are all scared but try to take a step back and look at the facts. This virus isn't killing hundreds of thousands. 

I'm not sure what you would prefer to call it but if someone is sick from the virus and then they can get treatment and get better, that's sounds like a cure to lowly little misinformed me.

This whole "dont post things cause its dangerous".. how do I even respond to that, than calling it for what it is small minded and foolish. I'm like Galileo over talking the world is not flat and you guys are saying we are all going to fall off.

Nothing dangerous about letting people know there is a promising cure for the virus that is helping people (maybe treatment is a word you would prefer, idk I'm not really up to date on all the PC crap)

10s of thousands of people die from the flu every year and millions are more are infected and that is with a vaccine. This is  nothing compared to it, so sorry I'm not acting like you guys.

The only foolish thing is all these people who act like talking about the facts, the very low fatalities and that the real number of infected is likely to be very much higher than what is reported. 

I thought of this thread as of a way to share info and let posters see what is going on. 

Save your outrage, I'm not saying anything bad and if you are a doctor or nurse and you dont like what I say fine. But eventually you wont be able to ignore the facts and will see the sky isn't falling. 

The reality is fear and panic is much worse and causes more problems than the virus. When more good news comes out I will post it. Since some very vocal naysayers are trying to shut it out.

I'm hoping that the cure is confirmed  and works for everyone who could potentially become fatally effected. It has works already for some and hopefully for any more.

The death rate for Covid-19 is between 1% and 3.4%.  The death rate for the flu is 0.1%  That is a fact.  Google it. So even going off the lowest number (1%), it is ten times more deadly than the influenza virus.  

• COVID-19 produces signs and symptoms that are similar to influenza, which makes it difficult to distinguish between the two.
  • The death rate of the seasonal flu varies but is about 0.1% compared to about 2% for COVID-19.
  • Coronavirus is more contagious: each person with it is likely to spread it to two others, compared to a rate of roughly half for flu.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/health-officials-coronavirus-covid19-flu-health-outbreak/

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

As Mark Twain said regarding the press: "Believe half of what you see and none of what you read." Someone should mention Russia, which has steadily denied cases and claimed it was somehow magically exempt while the figures now coming out are around 73000 infected there. It's actually disgraceful how many governments, including our own, have actually resisted developing mass testing as a means of minimizing the threat. For two months, in the face of intelligence briefings about the seriousness of the coming pandemic, our fearless leader called it a Democratic hoax and simply failed to lead any sort of preparation at all while people partied at Mardi Gras, and spring breakers flew to Florida to form the biggest petrie dish in history. Now we have evangelical crackpots holding mass church gathering with the claim that the congregations will be cured. The amount of prevarication, greed, lies, stupidity and deception is really mind-boggling. You're right it is nauseating how little we really know.

South Korea, which has a population of 51 million, had conducted 357,896 tests, based on reports from the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Comparatively, the United States, with a population of 329 million, had administered at least 418,810 tests, according to the Covid Tracking Project, a group led by Alexis Madrigal,
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

You can't cure a virus... 

Vaccines don't always work for flu because of the millions of mutations of the cold and flu... If you want to call me ignorant at least getting your ******* facts straight... 

And the world is shutting down not because of the flu you dumb sh*t... Because of the speed of the spread and how contiguous it is... Not because it's more or less deadly then the common flu it's the ******* speed... How dense can you be... 

If it was the flu the world would not shut down... Wow, get a clue and go back to 4th grade biology where you can learn about bacteria and viruses and know the differences between them... 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

The death rate for Covid-19 is between 1% and 3.4%.  The death rate for the flu is 0.1%  That is a fact.  Google it. So even going off the lowest number (1%), it is ten times more deadly than the influenza virus.  

• COVID-19 produces signs and symptoms that are similar to influenza, which makes it difficult to distinguish between the two.
  • The death rate of the seasonal flu varies but is about 0.1% compared to about 2% for COVID-19.
  • Coronavirus is more contagious: each person with it is likely to spread it to two others, compared to a rate of roughly half for flu.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/health-officials-coronavirus-covid19-flu-health-outbreak/

The true numbers are not really known so you can't exactly quote these as facts... It's more of an educated guess. The hope is that the true numbers are closer to the common flu but we will not know that answer for years if they do antibody tests to know if you truly got the disease or not