Jump to content

OT: I just tested positive with COVID


NYallDay
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Losmeister said:
South Korea, which has a population of 51 million, had conducted 357,896 tests, based on reports from the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Comparatively, the United States, with a population of 329 million, had administered at least 418,810 tests, according to the Covid Tracking Project, a group led by Alexis Madrigal,

Not only are we way behind in testing as a nation, but three states account for half the testing that has been done:

NY - 100,000

California -- 67,000

Washington -- 34,000

Whatever has been done in this regard was due to the aggressiveness of a few governors, not the federal government, which has bungled the entire process and continues to disrupt supply chains and step over states that are trying desperately to gear up. It's a total disaster, frankly.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

To all the people still thinking this thing is media driven, fake news, BS.  Work one day in my hospital, look at the amount of patients on ventilators (which we are officially out of), and tell me this thing is no big deal.

This thing is a very big deal.  Scares the crap out of me.  I've been on absolute lockdown for two weeks, I'm the only family member that's been out of the house, and only once per week to get food.

What I don't understand is, what is the point of testing?  Takes 2+ days to get a result, right?  What is the tested person supposed to do until the results come back?  Lock themselves in a room with no human contact?  And if it's negative, what's the point?  The moment they set foot in a grocery store there is zero certainty that they're clean, so there was no point to the test.  This isn't China, there is no enforcement, it's the honor system, no way that's going to work.

I view testing as something we shouldn't be doing, at least not like this.  It's biggest contribution is that it is apparently burning through PPE and thus getting our doctors and nurses exposed, sick, and unable to perform.

SAR I

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

The true numbers are not really known so you can't exactly quote these as facts... It's more of an educated guess. The hope is that the true numbers are closer to the common flu but we will not know that answer for years if they do antibody tests to know if you truly got the disease or not

We have a large enough universe now to make statistically accurate comparison between common influenza and Covid 19.  The numbers bear it out.  Covid 19 is deadlier and more contagious.  The death rate for influenza is established by decades of data and stands at 0.1% There are currently over half a million cases and growing.   the below information https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/  is sobering in that it shows that cases "with an outcome", meaning recovered or died, listed a 16% mortality rate.  Whether you believe 16% or 1%, the Coronavirus stands at minimum 10X more deadly than influenza should one get ill.

Coronavirus Cases:

532,224

Deaths:

24,087

Recovered:

124,326
 
ACTIVE CASES
383,811
Currently Infected Patients
364,454 (95%)
in Mild Condition
19,357 (5%)
Serious or Critical
 
CLOSED CASES
148,413
Cases which had an outcome:
124,326 (84%)
Recovered / Discharged
24,087 (16%)
Deaths
Total Coronavirus CasesTotal Cases(Linear Scale)Jan 22Feb 02Feb 13Feb 24Mar 06Mar 170100k200k300k400k500k600kCases
Total Coronavirus DeathsTotal Deaths(Linear Scale)Jan 22Feb 02Feb 13Feb 24Mar 06Mar 1705k10k15k20k25k30kDeaths
The charts above are updated after the close of the day in GMT+0. Latest data is provisional, pending delayed reporting and adjustments from China's NHC.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

You can't cure a virus... 

Vaccines don't always work for flu because of the millions of mutations of the cold and flu... If you want to call me ignorant at least getting your ******* facts straight... 

And the world is shutting down not because of the flu you dumb sh*t... Because of the speed of the spread and how contiguous it is... Not because it's more or less deadly then the common flu it's the ******* speed... How dense can you be... 

If it was the flu the world would not shut down... Wow, get a clue and go back to 4th grade biology where you can learn about bacteria and viruses and know the differences between them... 

Lol. I'm not saying your ignorant.  I'm just saying your full of it. There is a difference. You ignore whatever doesn't 100 percent agree with you. And on top of that your outraged anyone would sare to disagree  with you.

Take a minute to relax. Your getting so upset and dont need to be. Omg I called it a cure!!

Ok bud yes technically it's not a cure but you and anyone who has read my comments or seen any of the reporting knew what I meant. People suffering from the Chinese carona virus can be fatal attacking the lungs. AND THE "TREATMENT", what I called a cure makes it so those people who were about to stop breathing fully recover. No respiratory failure, no brain dead.

AND that is pretty great news. It was pretty obvious what I talking about even for someone as smart as you. Geeze.

The panic from people like you seems ridiculous to me. Ask your parent about viruses Doogie Howser. 

 

  • Thumb Down 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Testing is a big deal. People could have the virus and spread it even if they are asymptomatic. The best way to control a pandemic is to go into lockdown and test as many as possible and separate those who have it including from their families. This kind of a virus can spread and millions could catch it. Fauci was saying tonight especially in places with low numbers to test as many as possible so they can shut it down before a massive spread. The numbers multiply in a short period of time. A place with 200 positives today could have 400 tomorrow. Just stay home and cooperate. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Not only are we way behind in testing as a nation, but three states account for half the testing that has been done:

NY - 100,000

California -- 67,000

Washington -- 34,000

Whatever has been done in this regard was due to the aggressiveness of a few governors, not the federal government, which has bungled the entire process and continues to disrupt supply chains and step over states that are trying desperately to gear up. It's a total disaster, frankly.

Is it? Or do they know exactly what they're doing by NOT testing people. There's a subversive reason to this madness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Lol. I'm not saying your ignorant.  I'm just saying your full of it. There is a difference. You ignore whatever doesn't 100 percent agree with you. And on top of that your outraged anyone would sare to disagree  with you.

Take a minute to relax. Your getting so upset and dont need to be. Omg I called it a cure!!

Ok bud yes technically it's not a cure but you and anyone who has read my comments or seen any of the reporting knew what I meant. People suffering from the Chinese carona virus can be fatal attacking the lungs. AND THE "TREATMENT", what I called a cure makes it so those people who were about to stop breathing fully recover. No respiratory failure, no brain dead.

AND that is pretty great news. It was pretty obvious what I talking about even for someone as smart as you. Geeze.

The panic from people like you seems ridiculous to me. Ask your parent about viruses Doogie Howser. 

 

17 going on 10

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trump brags and keeps claiming we have more tests than South Korea. Which is true. Numbers wise. But what he doesn’t say is that they have only 1/6 of our population. Plus they started it much earlier. So per capita and time wise they are way ahead of us. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This thing is a very big deal.  Scares the crap out of me.  I've been on absolute lockdown for two weeks, I'm the only family member that's been out of the house, and only once per week to get food.

What I don't understand is, what is the point of testing?  Takes 2+ days to get a result, right?  What is the tested person supposed to do until the results come back?  Lock themselves in a room with no human contact?  And if it's negative, what's the point?  The moment they set foot in a grocery store there is zero certainty that they're clean, so there was no point to the test.  This isn't China, there is no enforcement, it's the honor system, no way that's going to work.

I view testing as something we shouldn't be doing, at least not like this.  It's biggest contribution is that it is apparently burning through PPE and ths igetting our doctors and nurses exposed, sick, and unable to perform.

SAR I

There is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to start. 

You don't think it's a good idea for your local EMT/Doctors/Nurses to know he or she is infected before treating your mom/grandmother?

You don't think it's useful for the CDC to track all the positive cases to game plan going forward?

What should the person do while he awaits the results? Um yeah, he should stay in his room locked up. If he is getting tested he obviously has fever and or other symptoms. They aren't (for the most part) testing random people. So yeah, to avoid the spread of a deadly disease those that THINK they have it and got tested, should ASSUME they have it and quarantine themselves. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Not only are we way behind in testing as a nation, but three states account for half the testing that has been done:

NY - 100,000

California -- 67,000

Washington -- 34,000

Whatever has been done in this regard was due to the aggressiveness of a few governors, not the federal government, which has bungled the entire process and continues to disrupt supply chains and step over states that are trying desperately to gear up. It's a total disaster, frankly.

Exceptionally (          ) fill in the blank.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to start. 

You don't think it's a good idea for your local EMT/Doctors/Nurses to know he or she is infected before treating your mom/grandmother?

You don't think it's useful for the CDC to track all the positive cases to game plan going forward?

What should the person do while he awaits the results? Um yeah, he should stay in his room locked up. If he is getting tested he obviously has fever and or other symptoms. They aren't (for the most part) testing random people. So yeah, to avoid the spread of a deadly disease those that THINK they have it and got tested, should ASSUME they have it and quarantine themselves.

Those with clear symptoms, absolutely, they need to be tested, that's common sense.  I'm talking about those without symptoms (who we would be burning PPE's on) and those who don't understand what it means to quarantine (doesn't matter what the result, they are going to be clumsy).  I am not against testing; I just don't think we're doing it effectively.

I'm more worried about my mailman (hitting 400 homes a day, not wearing gloves or a mask), my garbage collector (same), or my local grocery store (packed-tight checkout lines, cashiers with no virus hygiene).  The problem isn't the testing; the problem is the people.  They can't control themselves and they don't know how to keep others safe.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Testing is a big deal. People could have the virus and spread it even if they are asymptomatic. The best way to control a pandemic is to go into lockdown and test as many as possible and separate those who have it including from their families. This kind of a virus can spread and millions could catch it. Fauci was saying tonight especially in places with low numbers to test as many as possible so they can shut it down before a massive spread. The numbers multiply in a short period of time. A place with 200 positives today could have 400 tomorrow. Just stay home and cooperate. 

Agree on the importance of testing, but that's not what we're doing.  We're asking that only those with symptoms go in for testing and we're not enforcing rules about crowds, gatherings, weddings, mass transit, grocery lines, etc.  To me, that's more important.  It's the negative population that's the concern.  They're the ones who through overconfidence spread the thing.  Every positive was a negative once.

In China, they have military on the streets with guns who keep everyone in line.  Teens are playing ball in Manhattan.  Parents are hosting virus parties in the suburbs.  Seniors are going for morning coffee together.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Exceptionally (          ) fill in the blank.

 

Funny but it really doesn't belong here. This thread has some value and there's fair and informative discussion,  even debate. Politics will get it closed and that would be a shame. I get it's just satire and it's worth a chuckle. But be careful not to push it. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Lol. I'm not saying your ignorant.  I'm just saying your full of it. There is a difference. You ignore whatever doesn't 100 percent agree with you. And on top of that your outraged anyone would sare to disagree  with you.

Take a minute to relax. Your getting so upset and dont need to be. Omg I called it a cure!!

Ok bud yes technically it's not a cure but you and anyone who has read my comments or seen any of the reporting knew what I meant. People suffering from the Chinese carona virus can be fatal attacking the lungs. AND THE "TREATMENT", what I called a cure makes it so those people who were about to stop breathing fully recover. No respiratory failure, no brain dead.

AND that is pretty great news. It was pretty obvious what I talking about even for someone as smart as you. Geeze.

The panic from people like you seems ridiculous to me. Ask your parent about viruses Doogie Howser. 

 

Wow... I'm speachless... Instead of actually listening to what a medical professional has just typed out and written to you... You still go in defense mode and ignore his line by line response... 

Please do yourself a favor and read his well thought out response to your post... 

Just saying... Try and stay educated. You obviously need it... 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Funny but it really doesn't belong here. This thread has some value and there's fair and informative discussion,  even debate. Politics will get it closed and that would be a shame. I get it's just satire and it's worth a chuckle. But be careful not to push it. 

you can say that for half of the posts on here. And its not funny. Its a masterpiece.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

To all the people still thinking this thing is media driven, fake news, BS.  Work one day in my hospital, look at the amount of patients on ventilators (which we are officially out of), and tell me this thing is no big deal.

Everything is a conspiracy to some. You cannot change their mindset. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Lots of potentially great news..overseas many of the exxagerstors who predicted millions or more death have now admitted they were wrong, not likely  going to hear that from the few sky is falling, buttfumble champs we have here.

On the home front more and more positive results from the cure chlorinate and zinc stuff...dont quote me on the name...i guess it is pretty common thing used letting zinc get in and stop virus replication- science is cool.

Overall panic has subsided some, toilet paper is available again which is  nice. Out in CA a very dumb law was passed basically limiting independent contractors that has really screwed not only people livelihoods but also rural hospitals that depended on them for staffing. I heard in Ny the ventalators that the govoner there decided not to buy in favor of a rationing deathboard type or deal really backfired, I hope they are able to get enough for their patients. I'm sure lots of other stuff happening but I hope we are finally turning a corner. 

I lost it in all the posts, but how is everyone who said they actually got the virus? I hope you can get the cure and you guys haven't had any major setbacks in your health. 

Haven't  really seen much about the stimulus  that trump finally  got passed other than dems held it up and put in bunch of extra spending that has nothing to do with the crisis. Hopefully that will hell all those that have lost jobs and money due to this panic.

This post is bannable. Consider this the only warning you will receive. Partisan bullshit has no place here.

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

wow, you guys are savage. Dude comes on here to confide in the group about a scary event and you couch senators pull the conversation into your own political dick measuring contest.

Brutal. 

100%. A member of our community is sick and the posts in this thread is how people respond. Embarassing.

3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

 

This post is bannable. Consider this the only warning you will receive.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

once Biden is in charge we’ll be fine. 

This post is bannable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This post is bannable. Consider this the only warning you will receive. Partisan bullsh*t has no place here.

100%. A member of our community is sick and the posts in this thread is how people respond. Embarassing.

This post is bannable. Consider this the only warning you will receive.

This post is bannable. 

OK

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NYallDay said:

Update: my wife and son today in our front yard. My mother who was positive sitting in the front porch. We are all feeling 100% on our 13th day of quarantine. My father, who has had it worst, is still coughing but feeling better. I appreciate you guys and this board so much!74fac21e539ac0b26e88ea66aa68b99a.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news,  I am very happy for you and your family .

Your baby is adorable 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Look i get some of you are all scared but try to take a step back and look at the facts. This virus isn't killing hundreds of thousands. 

I'm not sure what you would prefer to call it but if someone is sick from the virus and then they can get treatment and get better, that's sounds like a cure to lowly little misinformed me.

This whole "dont post things cause its dangerous".. how do I even respond to that, than calling it for what it is small minded and foolish. I'm like Galileo over talking the world is not flat and you guys are saying we are all going to fall off.

Nothing dangerous about letting people know there is a promising cure for the virus that is helping people (maybe treatment is a word you would prefer, idk I'm not really up to date on all the PC crap)

10s of thousands of people die from the flu every year and millions are more are infected and that is with a vaccine. This is  nothing compared to it, so sorry I'm not acting like you guys.

The only foolish thing is all these people who act like talking about the facts, the very low fatalities and that the real number of infected is likely to be very much higher than what is reported. 

I thought of this thread as of a way to share info and let posters see what is going on. 

Save your outrage, I'm not saying anything bad and if you are a doctor or nurse and you dont like what I say fine. But eventually you wont be able to ignore the facts and will see the sky isn't falling. 

The reality is fear and panic is much worse and causes more problems than the virus. When more good news comes out I will post it. Since some very vocal naysayers are trying to shut it out.

I'm hoping that the cure is confirmed  and works for everyone who could potentially become fatally effected. It has works already for some and hopefully for any more.

Please find another place to pass on your presumed knowledge and opinions. You've been asked once by an MD in the heart of this battle to stifle your potentially harmful commentary, but you can't seem help yourself.  I'm putting you on ignore so that works for me, but give the board a break as well.    

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best wishes to your aunt and uncle, hope they get better.

And a huge thanks to all your family and friends that are fighting in the frontline.

I´ve got a few friends of my own that work in hospitals, and it is hell what they are going through, but they keep fighting. 

We are over 700 deaths in one day here in Spain,  over 4300 in total. 

On the other hand, in some hospitals in Barcelona they are trying a different mix of medications that seems to be working.  Let´s hope ...

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NYallDay said:

Update: my wife and son today in our front yard. My mother who was positive sitting in the front porch. We are all feeling 100% on our 13th day of quarantine. My father, who has had it worst, is still coughing but feeling better. I appreciate you guys and this board so much!74fac21e539ac0b26e88ea66aa68b99a.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you and your family pulled through.

You ever tell how you think you got it and why you think a lawsuit is possible?  I really dont want to have to scroll through 13 pages looking for it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

This thing is a very big deal.  Scares the crap out of me.  I've been on absolute lockdown for two weeks, I'm the only family member that's been out of the house, and only once per week to get food.

What I don't understand is, what is the point of testing?  Takes 2+ days to get a result, right?  What is the tested person supposed to do until the results come back?  Lock themselves in a room with no human contact?  And if it's negative, what's the point?  The moment they set foot in a grocery store there is zero certainty that they're clean, so there was no point to the test.  This isn't China, there is no enforcement, it's the honor system, no way that's going to work.

I view testing as something we shouldn't be doing, at least not like this.  It's biggest contribution is that it is apparently burning through PPE and thus getting our doctors and nurses exposed, sick, and unable to perform.

SAR I

The problem isn’t testing, it is the way we are being tested and the speed of the results of the test.

The US because of the lack of availability of tests, is primarily testing symptomatic people. The real answer is widespread testing with quick results so asymptomatic people who are the unknowing spreaders go into isolation and stop spreading.

The incubation period and highly contagious nature of this is what is making the problem rampant. Testing who we’re testing now i agree with you is just getting a report card a week after you know you bombed the test. 
 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The problem isn’t testing, it is the way we are being tested and the speed of the results of the test.

The US because of the lack of availability of tests, is primarily testing symptomatic people. The real answer is widespread testing with quick results so asymptomatic people who are the unknowing spreaders go into isolation and stop spreading.

The incubation period and highly contagious nature of this is what is making the problem rampant. Testing who we’re testing now i agree with you is just getting a report card a week after you know you bombed the test. 
 

 

 

 

4-6hrs to get results, and in NY & NJ only about 28% tested are coming back positive.  Lot of hypochondriacs clogging up sites and wasting tests.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...