OT: I just tested positive with COVID

Agree on the importance of testing, but that's not what we're doing.  We're asking that only those with symptoms go in for testing and we're not enforcing rules about crowds, gatherings, weddings, mass transit, grocery lines, etc.  To me, that's more important.  It's the negative population that's the concern.  They're the ones who through overconfidence spread the thing.  Every positive was a negative once.
In China, they have military on the streets with guns who keep everyone in line.  Teens are playing ball in Manhattan.  Parents are hosting virus parties in the suburbs.  Seniors are going for morning coffee together.
SAR I

People in the suburbs are buying the whole store for no damn reason. I drive to the Bronx and the stores are dead . People aren’t going to spend the whole check on toilet paper

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Glad you and your family pulled through.
You ever tell how you think you got it and why you think a lawsuit is possible?  I really dont want to have to scroll through 13 pages looking for it.

Oh I’m happy to share! Lol. My company has no work from home policy, you have to accrue sick days and get 1.something hours per pay period. You get 1 sick day per month.5 worked. You get 3 hours PTO however, you can only use them after 6 months of starting (my 6th month is April 23rd). As you know I have a son, so being sick and not having sick days (has to use the days I accrued (2) previously (I used 1 for my birthday, you can schedule sick days if you have them ) and then used another as I was sick.

So when I started feeling ill, I requested to work from home, they did not allow it so I stayed home Thursday and Friday (major symptoms of COVID, fever, chills, body aches, severe stomach issues which I kind of still suffering from which sick, and cough) and then the following Monday, I had to come in as work was piling up and they wouldn’t pay me working from home. So I went in, coughing, sneezing, semi fever because I have to put food on my table and if i didn’t go in Monday, my paycheck was going to be for 2 days In the pay period. So the Tuesday after, severely sick sick again, couldn’t get out of bed, stayed home (still requesting time work from home, so I could do my job and not let work pile up). Got tested the Wednesday after, Thursday positive and the rest is written. I spoke to an employment lawyer and he said by NY state law I should have been awarded sick days outside of the company accrued ones and should be paid.

This company is awful. Literally the last company in the building we work at to not work from home (work in Times Square) only closed because I came back positive. Proceeded to then fire 24 people, reduce the salary of others. It is run by a conservative jewish 34 year old who hires people out of his community for high level positions in which they have no training in and none of them were fired (I’m jewish as wel, but not conservative and don’t agree with his anything to be honest, think he’s a major prick).

Bottom line is, the lawyer said, due to his lack of care and putting myself and his workforce at risk, there could be a class action suit if 2+ people came up positive and could tie it to that office.

I still work there so I can’t play the name game but I am looking because I’m nervous to go back to that office, as I know for a fact it has not been cleaned since. There are horrible examples of the negligence of this company but that’s for another thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, NYallDay said:

Oh I’m happy to share! Lol. My company has no work from home policy, you have to accrue sick days and get 1.something hours per pay period. You get 1 sick day per month.5 worked. You get 3 hours PTO however, you can only use them after 6 months of starting (my 6th month is April 23rd). As you know I have a son, so being sick and not having sick days (has to use the days I accrued (2) previously (I used 1 for my birthday, you can schedule sick days if you have them emoji1744.png) and then used another as I was sick.

So when I started feeling ill, I requested to work from home, they did not allow it so I stayed home Thursday and Friday (major symptoms of COVID, fever, chills, body aches, severe stomach issues which I kind of still suffering from which sick, and cough) and then the following Monday, I had to come in as work was piling up and they wouldn’t pay me working from home. So I went in, coughing, sneezing, semi fever because I have to put food on my table and if i didn’t go in Monday, my paycheck was going to be for 2 days In the pay period. So the Tuesday after, severely sick sick again, couldn’t get out of bed, stayed home (still requesting time work from home, so I could do my job and not let work pile up). Got tested the Wednesday after, Thursday positive and the rest is written. I spoke to an employment lawyer and he said by NY state law I should have been awarded sick days outside of the company accrued ones and should be paid.

This company is awful. Literally the last company in the building we work at to not work from home (work in Times Square) only closed because I came back positive. Proceeded to then fire 24 people, reduce the salary of others. It is run by a conservative jewish 34 year old who hires people out of his community for high level positions in which they have no training in and none of them were fired (I’m jewish as wel, but not conservative and don’t agree with his anything to be honest, think he’s a major prick).

Bottom line is, the lawyer said, due to his lack of care and putting myself and his workforce at risk, there could be a class action suit if 2+ people came up positive and could tie it to that office.

I still work there so I can’t play the name game but I am looking because I’m nervous to go back to that office, as I know for a fact it has not been cleaned since. There are horrible examples of the negligence of this company but that’s for another thread...

Yeah, worst time to burn the bridge, w/ jib market being flooded from layoffs, but you have 2 yrs to sue, right?

• Upvote 1

Yeah, worst time to burn the bridge, w/ jib market being flooded from layoffs, but you have 2 yrs to sue, right?

Not sure time frame. I’ve had interviews but their on hold until normalcy returns. I’m gunning for Rockstar Games :)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Testing is a big deal. People could have the virus and spread it even if they are asymptomatic. The best way to control a pandemic is to go into lockdown and test as many as possible and separate those who have it including from their families. This kind of a virus can spread and millions could catch it. Fauci was saying tonight especially in places with low numbers to test as many as possible so they can shut it down before a massive spread. The numbers multiply in a short period of time. A place with 200 positives today could have 400 tomorrow. Just stay home and cooperate. 

I believe lockdown or social distancing is key . Testing everybody solves nothing except wasting critical resources for people who really need testing , People who test negative today can test positive next week w/o having true symptoms.  Do we keep retesting endlessly ? 

Stay away from other people to prevent spread , its the best way to keep this thing from exponentially spreading . 

• Upvote 1

I believe lockdown or social distancing is key . Testing everybody solves nothing except wasting critical resources for people who really need testing , People who test negative today can test positive next week w/o having true symptoms.  Do we keep retesting endlessly ? 
Stay away from other people to prevent spread , its the best way to keep this thing from exponentially spreading . 

Funny you say that... the CDC and DOH have both contacted my family and suggested we get retested. My argument against that is this, if I’m not going to be within 10 feet of anyone that I haven’t quarantined with (let alone 6) for the foreseeable future, what is the need to get retested and take that away from someone that needs it? That just doesn’t seem logical and wasteful of resources

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NYallDay said:

Oh I’m happy to share! Lol. My company has no work from home policy, you have to accrue sick days and get 1.something hours per pay period. You get 1 sick day per month.5 worked. You get 3 hours PTO however, you can only use them after 6 months of starting (my 6th month is April 23rd). As you know I have a son, so being sick and not having sick days (has to use the days I accrued (2) previously (I used 1 for my birthday, you can schedule sick days if you have them emoji1744.png) and then used another as I was sick.

Do you have the kind of job that you could do remotely? Is it just that they don't let people go remote? Or things would fall apart for the business if they did?

1 minute ago, NYallDay said:

Funny you say that... the CDC and DOH have both contacted my family and suggested we get retested. My argument against that is this, if I’m not going to be within 10 feet of anyone that I haven’t quarantined with (let alone 6) for the foreseeable future, what is the need to get retested and take that away from someone that needs it? That just doesn’t seem logical and wasteful of resources

They might be trying to collect data on the Total Recovered line.

• Upvote 1

Do you have the kind of job that you could do remotely? Is it just that they don't let people go remote? Or things would fall apart for the business if they did?

100000% everything can be done remotely. I’m the head of customer experience for an Ecommerce company. They just don’t let people go remote so when we were forced too, the company was severely under prepared

True. I get it. But again, the statistic needed right now is how many sick. The total recovered while valuable, is second fiddle to those who have yet to be diagnosed

Edit: I see where finding out who is better is necessary for plasma and potential treatments

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Our problem is that there have never been enough tests available that are quick and accessible. CDC royally f'd up and FDA followed suit. We're way behind the curve. To establish epidemiological patterns, you need to canvas swaths of the population, not just those who show symptoms, particularly with a disease like COVID. The idea is to establish health policies that meet the viral pattern of spread. It's not just about individuals.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, NYallDay said:

100000% everything can be done remotely. I’m the head of customer experience for an Ecommerce company. They just don’t let people go remote so when we were forced too, the company was severely under prepared

Oh wow that is terrible. You are selling online but your people can't be online, that's crazy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

One of the saddest things you see are long lines outside Elmhurst Hospital in Queens people with masks etc waiting outside for hours in the cold to get a test. The city has sent more health care workers there which is the epicenter for NYC cases to Elmhurst but its' not enough. They should not have to wait that long. We are also seeing well known people like Boris Johnson and Prince Charles who communicate with others a lot, shaking hands, speaking to groups, selfies getting the virus. So what it says is that if you congregate there will be a spread even if only one person in the group has the virus. This is an epidemic and the idea is to stop it before millions more get it and spread it. And it's not easy esp in poorer areas of the world.

• Upvote 2

On 3/21/2020 at 12:56 PM, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

I don’t think Cuomo is doing anything wrong nor disagree with how he’s been handling it, but maybe you praise him so much and hate the president because of bias?

https://nypost.com/2020/03/21/new-york-women-are-coronavirus-crushing-on-andrew-cuomo-is-he-single/

here’s some propaganda from the fake news about how women should be dripping wet over him

also for the first time ever Cuomo was praising trump for his handling of it

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-critics-coronavirus-1493288

sp you think trump has done a terrible job while Cuomo, who has been thanking Trump, has not?

Women should be dripping wet over him - LMFAO!

4 hours ago, NYallDay said:

Glad to see u have recovered. Kinda dont know how to feel about you knowingly sick going to work. Dont wanna be judgey....i get that bills need to be paid..... but still.... might have infected 20 orhers on the train

Glad to see u have recovered. Kinda dont know how to feel about you knowingly sick going to work. Dont wanna be judgey....i get that bills need to be paid..... but still.... might have infected 20 orhers on the train

Dude, had no option. I understand the sentiment, but my child comes before everyone else... I should have mentioned though, I drove in that day. So the train issue wasn’t there but getting people sick in my office is another story. And by my “dude I had no option” I know it sounds defensive, it’s not, just explaining lol. My wife wouldn’t let me take the train so yeah and I wasn’t going to

• Upvote 1

I understand. At least youre not smug about it.

i felt bad even saying it.

Ive been realizing lately how lucky i am. Great new house, no mortgages on 2 properties and my wife and i are both getting full pay. We've been self quarantining in paradise with a packed fridge slowly laying hardwood flooring down, something we complained about “not having time” to do beforehand. Elsewhere people are making funeral arrangements. I seriously have an odd guilt

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This is some crazy chit.

took a rare trek to the supermarket yesterday. When i got home i literally washed my hands and proceeded to wash everything i bought. Case of soda, then the individual cans, then threw out the washed cardboard, washed the meat packaging, even birthday candles got washed. Then into the garbage and my clean clothes into the washing machine.

wtf

its a sci fi movie

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This is some crazy chit.
took a rare trek to the supermarket yesterday. When i got home i literally washed my hands and proceeded to wash everything i bought. Case of soda, then the individual cans, then threw out the washed cardboard, washed the meat packaging, even birthday candles got washed. Then into the garbage and my clean clothes into the washing machine.
wtf
its a sci fi movie

It’s just like outbreak the movie. It’s so wild!

42 minutes ago, NYallDay said:

crazy. my wife works for shopify and they ONLY work from home. 

Given current conditions, someone there needs to be fired. 

• Sympathy 1

crazy. my wife works for shopify and they ONLY work from home. 
Given current conditions, someone there needs to be fired. 

Many people there need to be fired. We use Shopify on our site, so thanks paradis’ wife!!!

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2020 at 9:12 PM, NYallDay said:

I’m 33 live with my wife, son of 7 months, mom dad and sister and myself mom and dad all tested positive. Tested on Glenn Island, new Rochelle. Took 2 days for results. I had symptoms last Thursday and Friday but have been fine since Monday.

Freaking out

74fac21e539ac0b26e88ea66aa68b99a.jpg

That's a great looking family you have there. You're a lucky man! All the best.  And make sure you get that little one a Jets jersey and the first words your kid utters are Jets Jets Jets. BTW can you block? We need a guard!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

74fac21e539ac0b26e88ea66aa68b99a.jpg&key=5cc6efc0daa6bc4b607df6d83eb6bbbe37e408c2000627967f0c12777225e3aa
That's a great looking family you have there. You're a lucky man! All the best.  And make sure you get that little one a Jets jersey and the first words your kid utters are Jets Jets Jets. BTW can you block? We need a guard!!!!

Oh I’ll post a picture today with his jets football :) thank you man, appreciate it! As for guard, I’m past my prime... but I can say, I squat more than saquad so put that in your pipe giants fans and smoke it! Lol love this board!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I am not an expert or doctor, but my observations so far on this are:

• This virus spreads most aggressively through personal contact.  That is why there was so much spread in New Rochelle and Westport, where the carriers were obviously hugging and touching at social events.   I have asked my office to have it cleaned before we get back, but I am not really worried when I get back there a month later.  It supposedly does not last on surfaces longer than 3 weeks, on the outside.  
  • After that, travel is a big spreader-airports, airplanes, mass transit.  Nursing homes, cruise ships.  People breathing on other people.  
  • I am not really worried about catching it from someone in a park.  We need to get outside.  
  • As we know, people with compromised immunity for whatever reason are greatly at risk.  This is really highlighting the different states of people's health.  
  • The Diamond Princess, and Italy, are worst case scenario in different ways.   But in our context, they don't get to the millions of deaths that some predict.
    • For the Diamond Princess, a cruise ship where people were basically trapped on it, 17% of the people caught the virus, with only half showing significant symptoms.  Less than 1% of the people who caught the virus died.   In my view that is a worst case scenario-NYC or its suburbs are not as nearly confined as a cruise ship.
    • In Italy, when looking at the numbers for a nation of 60 million people, at least last week 2/3 of the cases were in the north where $10 million people live.  I think that is close to what the NY area will expect to see.   Except, hopefully, our fatality rate will be much less.   Italy's rate is affected by the age of the victims and the resources of the health system.  
      • So, roughly, Northern Italy has around 60,000 cases and 6,000 deaths.   Westchester, NYC, Nassau and Suffolk already have almost 30,000 cases but around 500 deaths.  If we run out of ventilators, that will change.  Imagine the headlines if we had 3,000 deaths in NY already?  We are still early in the process though.  Thank our healthcare providers. 
  • Our Governors and the Federal Government need to come up with a deal where they get this equipment and masks, etc. made right away and share the cost fairly.  In the current administration, they want to fund the urban experiment of NY/NJ as little as possible.  Cuomo is not dumping this all on Trump.  Expect our taxes to go up and/or schools to get worse.
  • This virus will not be a problem of the urban heathen.  All of the little darlings who went to Mardi Gras and Spring Break will bring it home to the rest of the country.  The virus will be everywhere by Easter.  How Trump manages the competing interests will determine if he is re-elected.  In my view, he has gone from a shoe-in a month ago to likely being tossed out.  
  • Upvote 3

I just heard this morning that two people from my underground poker club have died from this and at least one other is currently in hospital.

Poker may be the worst possible game with every player and the dealer touching the same chips over and over again.

In any event this thing became just a little more real for me now that I can put faces to at least "2" of the numbers.

The last time I played at any of these clubs was 11 days ago and so I have a couple more days to feel comfortable.  Or less uncomfortable might be a more accurate description.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am not an expert or doctor, but my observations so far on this are:

• This virus spreads most aggressively through personal contact.  That is why there was so much spread in New Rochelle and Westport, where the carriers were obviously hugging and touching at social events.   I have asked my office to have it cleaned before we get back, but I am not really worried when I get back there a month later.  It supposedly does not last on surfaces longer than 3 weeks, on the outside.  
  • After that, travel is a big spreader-airports, airplanes, mass transit.  Nursing homes, cruise ships.  People breathing on other people.  
  • I am not really worried about catching it from someone in a park.  We need to get outside.  
  • As we know, people with compromised immunity for whatever reason are greatly at risk.  This is really highlighting the different states of people's health.  
  • The Diamond Princess, and Italy, are worst case scenario in different ways.   But in our context, they don't get to the millions of deaths that some predict.
    • For the Diamond Princess, a cruise ship where people were basically trapped on it, 17% of the people caught the virus, with only half showing significant symptoms.  Less than 1% of the people who caught the virus died.   In my view that is a worst case scenario-NYC or its suburbs are not as nearly confined as a cruise ship.
    • In Italy, when looking at the numbers for a nation of 60 million people, at least last week 2/3 of the cases were in the north where $10 million people live.  I think that is close to what the NY area will expect to see.   Except, hopefully, our fatality rate will be much less.   Italy's rate is affected by the age of the victims and the resources of the health system.  
      • So, roughly, Northern Italy has around 60,000 cases and 6,000 deaths.   Westchester, NYC, Nassau and Suffolk already have almost 30,000 cases but around 500 deaths.  If we run out of ventilators, that will change.  Imagine the headlines if we had 3,000 deaths in NY already?  We are still early in the process though.  Thank our healthcare providers. 
  • Our Governors and the Federal Government need to come up with a deal where they get this equipment and masks, etc. made right away and share the cost fairly.  In the current administration, they want to fund the urban experiment of NY/NJ as little as possible.  Cuomo is not dumping this all on Trump.  Expect our taxes to go up and/or schools to get worse.
  • This virus will not be a problem of the urban heathen.  All of the little darlings who went to Mardi Gras and Spring Break will bring it home to the rest of the country.  The virus will be everywhere by Easter.  How Trump manages the competing interests will determine if he is re-elected.  In my view, he has gone from a shoe-in a month ago to likely being tossed out.  

the Data is bunk 

7 hours ago, DirtyJersey said:

4-6hrs to get results, and in NY & NJ only about 28% tested are coming back positive.  Lot of hypochondriacs clogging up sites and wasting tests.

This isn't true.  I know for a fact it takes up to three days.  My brother in law has one dead uncle and two other family members infected.  All have been tested but the uncle died before he got his results.  People who are sick but aren't sick enough to be hospitalized are NOT being tested at all.  I know this first hand as well as two friends are in quarantine with fever and flu-like symptoms but were turned away from testing sites.  I'm a first-responder and the municipality I work for has seen a steady rise in medical calls due to this virus, and the calls keep climbing in frequency.  The 28% number is only those who have been able to meet the standard for testing.  The virus is rampant and growing.  First responders are seeing it first hand, medical workers are seeing it first hand and hospitals are being overwhelmed.  Hypochondriacs indeed.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

7 hours ago, NYallDay said:

I'm confused. Why didn't you just work harder? This seems like the wet dream of how society should work that some of our elected officials have.

• Sympathy 2