OT: I just tested positive with COVID

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

has the possibility to mutate and kill many more

Relatively minor risk from what I've read and it makes sense. A more deadly virus is more easily contained and there is little evolutionary benefit to a virus that kills its host quickly, the mechanics of evolution should mean the less deadlier strains get passed on more than the deadlier ones 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, CTM said:

Relatively minor risk from what I've read and it make sense. A more readily virus is more easily contained and there is little evolutionary benefit to a virus that kills its host quickly, the mechanics of evolution should me the less deadlier strains get passed on more than the deadlier ones 

i dont think the ability to mutate was written by me, unless i did while i was sleeping. maybe tha thing where you quote a quote, its happened to me...

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2020 at 7:35 AM, DetroitRed said:

A few more weeks of this. Once there is a consistent downward trend in hospital admissions , I can’t see this continuing. Too many people taking financial hits. Isolate the vulnerable and everyone else saves the economy. Stay safe and keep up the social distancing

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

New York City reported a one-day total of 351 deaths on Sunday morning. On a normal day in New York City, 158 people die, so more than twice as many people are dying in the city of the virus than of all other causes combined.

• Sympathy 1

On 4/3/2020 at 1:28 PM, DJF71 said:

Its finding the right balance because people will not like what comes after America crashes. 

I think that starting May 1, State by State, the stay at home orders will be released, Companies will start ordering employees back to work, we will have to wear masks in public and in the workplace and will be warned to not socialize after work, no hugging or kissing anyone and urged to social distance.  People will break the restrictions, the virus will spike again but it will be too late to do anything because businesses will not shut down again.  We will have to live in a culture of people getting sick and dying every day for the next year.  This is just reality. 

1 minute ago, deucebag said:

I think that starting May 1, State by State, the stay at home orders will be released, Companies will start ordering employees back to work, we will have to wear masks in public and in the workplace and will be warned to not socialize after work, no hugging or kissing anyone and urged to social distance.  People will break the restrictions, the virus will spike again but it will be too late to do anything because businesses will not shut down again.  We will have to live in a culture of people getting sick and dying every day for the next year.  This is just reality. 

it'd be dumb, so we'll prolly do it...

so, do health care workers just LET people die? why should health care workers have their risk at work go up hundreds of percdnts? ...   so you can go to ******* applebees?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I think this is a fairly accurate prediction. Until we have a vaccine, the only hope for containment is testing. The quick turnaround test is key to starting the economy back up. I dont think there's any way that people would be able to survive a year/year and a half shutdown. 

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

so, do health care workers just LET people die? why should health care workers have their risk at work go up hundreds of percdnts? ...   so you can go to ******* applebees?

Italy had to make that call. Their hospitals got over run and they began turning away anyone over 80 years old.

Frightening time for sure.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Tried to see if this was posted anywhere but I saw this on Reddit. Joe Douglas has been tipping $100 on takeout orders throughout the quarantine period

#ThatsMyGM

Screenshot_20200406-084650.png

God, I hope this guy can draft. He kinda reminds me of a bald Nick Mangold. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

There will come a point where the deaths by the virus will become less and less a threat. You cannot keep the economy shut down interminably. There is always a school of thought "But if it saves one life!", but that eventually gives way to statistics and math. In theory your could reduce traffic accident fatalities to zero.. by banning cars. That sounds absurd on it's face, but if you think about it this is no different, only a different set of variables and tradeoffs.  It's life and death, but it's also mathematical. Viruses dies out, mutate to harmlessness or simply became less dangerous with herd immunity over the long term. We aren't there yet. But when we are, things will get ...interesting. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2020 at 11:34 AM, NYallDay said:

I can’t get behind this. Everyone needs to stay isolated for a decent amount of time and until EVERYONE is, there’s the potential of mass infection. Those morons on spring break, the morons running states that haven’t closed yet, all leading to extending the curve, rather than flattening it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flattening the curve is extending the curve (that's the goal) - to give healthcare systems more time to respond, provide more respirators, beds, better testing, etc.. 

There are few if any reports that show fewer people getting infected (the virus is everywhere and will do what it's going to do regardless) Also little chance of a cure (no cures for Flu, Cancer, Heart disease, etc) - Corona will most likely be a part of life on earth, the question is how we manage it - I think testing is the answer and the extra time is helping with faster/better testing- test negative to leave the house but society must go on

7 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Everyone is vulnerable.  Besides that since the federal government has basically told states to step up I don’t see the governors of NJ or NY opening things up until July at the earliest.  Federal government can do nothing about it.  Besides even if they do open things up who realistically wants to go to dinner, a movie, or even a sporting event until there is some type of vaccine? 

sadly IMO, there are clearly enough dopes in this country for that to be a serious issue.....

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

There will come a point where the deaths by the virus will become less and less a threat. You cannot keep the economy shut down interminably. There is always a school of thought "But if it saves one life!", but that eventually gives way to statistics and math. In theory your could reduce traffic accident fatalities to zero.. by banning cars. That sounds absurd on it's face, but if you think about it this is no different, only a different set of variables and tradeoffs.  It's life and death, but it's also mathematical. Viruses dies out, mutate to harmlessness or simply became less dangerous with herd immunity over the long term. We aren't there yet. But when we are, things will get ...interesting. 

armed guards at hospital doors....          you have it? you cant come in. go die somewhere else, i got an nba player i have to give a test to...

24 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Agree but this worldwide Government reaction gives me pause since this might be the first time in a couple of thousand years of recorded history where Government (society) has valued human life over money...

Do they know something that we do not know? 

~6 million years of human evolution, why is this different? Darwinism no longer applies?

53 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i dont think the ability to mutate was written by me, unless i did while i was sleeping. maybe tha thing where you quote a quote, its happened to me...

Your post mutated.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree but this worldwide Government reaction gives me pause since this might be the first time in a couple of thousand years of recorded history where Governments (society) has valued human life over money...

Do they know something that we do not know? 

~6 million years of human evolution, why is this different? Darwinism no longer applies?

i think, in the end...   the powers that be wont let that many worker bees die off...who else will do their dry cleaning?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

armed guards at hospital doors....          you have it? you cant come in. go die somewhere else, i got an nba player i have to give a test to...

This has already happened.

17 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Flattening the curve is extending the curve (that's the goal) - to give healthcare systems more time to respond, provide more respirators, beds, better testing, etc.. 

There are few if any reports that show fewer people getting infected (the virus is everywhere and will do what it's going to do regardless) Also little chance of a cure (no cures for Flu, Cancer, Heart disease, etc) - Corona will most likely be a part of life on earth, the question is how we manage it - I think testing is the answer and the extra time is helping with faster/better testing- test negative to leave the house but society must go on

Are you are a Dr or medical scientist? You are probably wrong.

12 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

There are always armed LEOs at our ERs here. Always 24/7. Because people are assholes. Where the hell do YOU live? LOL

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

Are you are a Dr or medical scientist? You are probably wrong.

fwiw, i think he is saying its likely NOT gonna be like smallpox, eradicated.

So far, we’ve used vaccines to entirely wipe out two diseases: smallpox and rinderpest, which infects cattle.

We’ve also come extremely close to eradicating polio, with less than 500 new cases annually, largely in Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan.

In the United States, a long list of diseases have been nearly eradicated by vaccines: diphtheria, bacterial influenza, measles, mumps, rubella, and tetanus, among others.

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/21/17588074/vaccines-diseases-wiped-out

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

There are always armed LEOs at our ERs here. Always 24/7. Because people are assholes. Where the hell do YOU live? LOL

this is status quo?

Armed police guard Boston hospital - ABC News (Australian ...

sonoma county.... is where i live now. norcal doesnt do armed guards at hospitals that i have noticed. (grew up on LI)

\btw, i was aghast they fired that crozier....    whaddaya think...?

On 4/3/2020 at 10:34 AM, NYallDay said:

I can’t get behind this. Everyone needs to stay isolated for a decent amount of time and until EVERYONE is, there’s the potential of mass infection. Those morons on spring break, the morons running states that haven’t closed yet, all leading to extending the curve, rather than flattening it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until there is an effective testing protocol in place and functioning - I couldn't agree more. Stay well dude!

• Sympathy 1

Two things that have been mentioned that are critical:

1. Massive testing that is easily accessible (even home based via smartphone, as at least one manufacturer is developing) will allow those with antibodies or negative results to go back to work. That isn't perfect, because along with all the clean people, there will be innumerable positives infiltrating the work force and screwing things up.

2. Stop touting unproven treatments to a vulnerable population. Hydroxychloroquine is NOT proven to work. Are there some intriguing possibilities -- perhaps. But we are a long way from establishing it as any sort of legitimate treatment. 

https://www.asbmb.org/asbmb-today/opinions/040520/a-small-trial-finds-that-hydroxychloroquine-is-not

It is actually extremely irresponsible to be selling snake-oil in the midst of a pandemic. I get the purpose, of course, which is to promote a falsely rosy picture so the floodgates can be opened again too soon in the interests of saving political careers. That's incredibly selfish, but what else is new? Antibody treatments are actually more promising right now, while a real vaccine is being developed. There is reason for hope, but there are right and wrong ways to do so.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I've seen this before. Not to talk religion but my grandmother passed away when I was just a kid she loved her Lord she prayed on her rosary beads until she could pray no longer (my only tattoo is of hands praying over rosary beads in memory of her). She always warned her family of two things. 1.) Social security card; she felt it was the 1st sign for the mark of the beast as a tracking device because without a social our governments will look at us as nothingness as if we're nothing and do not exist as humans and warned us us to never accept any type of chip into our body (my family never will, even if it means death) and 2.) The end of our days. She always told us there would become a time and day where we are to lock our doors, stay inside our homes and don't even so much as look outside of our windows because people who go outside would die by the hands of evilness within the world. And now look. School's are shut down. Churches are closed (preachers getting arrested for having gatherings), millions have lost jobs and as people we are warned to stay inside of our homes because people are dying outside. Dejavu. My grandma had a lot of faith, a lot of knowledge and a lot of wisdom and had the biggest most loving heart I've ever experienced every time she hugged me I knew she loved me and she always worried about the evilness of this world and what could happen to her family once she was no longer here. So she tried her best to prepare us to stick together throughout scary times and me being stuck working from home my daughter not allowed in school anymore and being locked inside of our home with my own family just gives me flashbacks to my grandmother's words as I feel like I've seen this story play out before and it's a scary feeling when I look into hospitals today and it looks like a human genocide with streets deserted of people and a virus killing us as the root.