Potential UDFA Kick Returner ST WR - UVA Joe Reed

GREENBEAN

I live about 20 min from UVA and this entire of Charlottesville VA revolves around the university. Basketball being KING! 

I was able to catch a little bit of UVA ball this year and this really is a talented kid. 

At 6'1" 224 lbs, He looks to be about a 7th rdr or UDFA probably. Good speed 4.47-40 at the combine and had a 38" vertical.  His real value is as a kick returner and fearless reserve WR. Could be a good gunner too. Not the sharpest routes and struggles to lose defenders though.  I think he might be a guy to keep an eye on. Anyone have thoughts on this kid? 

Tested as one of the better athletes in this stacked WR class. School at UVA is no joke and that program really turned around.

Definitely raw at WR. Special teams value is key to hanging on the roster though. Showed some versatility lining up in the backfield at points as well. Douglas touched on wanting to add explosiveness. I like that he’s got that explosiveness but also is solid at 224, should be better durability. Would certainly be in for a selection later on day 3. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, derp said:

Tested as one of the better athletes in this stacked WR class. School at UVA is no joke and that program really turned around.

Definitely raw at WR. Special teams value is key to hanging on the roster though. Showed some versatility lining up in the backfield at points as well. Douglas touched on wanting to add explosiveness. I like that he’s got that explosiveness but also is solid at 224, should be better durability. Would certainly be in for a selection later on day 3. 

Would you guys think he he could stick as a KR type and gunner on coverage ST units?  I would like to think that the guys coming out of UVA could add something to the Jets. I don't have alma mater so this works as a surrogate.  I liked Reed live and he had a solid game when I went there.  

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

I like Reed, but he's a ST's guy who you can get as UDFA for the most part. 

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Would you guys think he he could stick as a KR type and gunner on coverage ST units?  I would like to think that the guys coming out of UVA could add something to the Jets. I don't have alma mater so this works as a surrogate.  I liked Reed live and he had a solid game when I went there.  

I have a soft spot for the Cavaliers too, but they haven't churned out a ton of top tier talent in a while. 

Bryce Hall is a guy I love for the right price. 

30 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I have a soft spot for the Cavaliers too, but they haven't churned out a ton of top tier talent in a while. 

Bryce Hall is a guy I love for the right price. 

Right. I have high hopes for him.  I have been living here for the past 3 years and my wife's family has been here for 300 years so I feel like its home. The city goes crazy when the teams are doing well so I'm rooting for them. Its more fun that way.

I think Hall will go in the 4th. I saw one draft where he went in the 3rd but I'm not really sure where he will go. Where do to see Hall going? 

I just did a simulated mock and only took WR's to try and push it as much as I had control over and Joe Reed went in the 7th to the Phins. 

I have hope that he will will slide through and we can grab him as an UDFA. I'd love to have him. I'd like to see us place some focus on the KR/PR game this offseason. 

As an unrepentant RU homer, I always wanted to take a look at Janarion Grant for that role.  I thought he would get some draft profile love in 2018, but he did not.  He was a guy with a ton of potential and a monster return man, but durability was a huge concern.  He tested horribly, but ended up in Ravens camp.  He looked pretty good and was the returner to start the year.  I think he had a fumble or two and was bounced to the practice squad and cut in January.  Ended up in Canada.  I don't know how he is doing, but he did have 2 punt return TDs in one game.

WIth Berrios and Crowder the Jets are not looking for this type of player, though they did have Quadree Henderson, a similar player from Pitt in last April, but he didn't last long with Douglas.  Isn't much room for 5'9" 26 year olds, but it's a shame cause Grant was electric.