Joe Douglas took first step to ending ugly Jets cycle

The article is flawed.

The reason the Jets spend big in free agency is typically because they have none of their own players to pay.

The good teams/organization don’t spend wildly in FA because they draft well and have to keep their guys.  If the better organizations had the cap room to sign top FA’s they would - but they drafted too well to do so.

This idea that you shouldn’t sign good players in FA is just silly.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1

16 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

the entire 2016 Jets draft class will be gone. Add to that the fact the entire 2015 class is already gone. The 2017 class is down to two players — Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye.

Think about that for a minute — the Jets drafted 22 players between 2015 and 2017 and only two of them are expected to be on the roster this season.

Wow, its so much worse when you see it in black and white, every bad morsel of it.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

This is an excellent summary article. 

The piece that is ignored is the Darnold angle.  JD is not doing anything crazy to capitalize on Darnold’s rookie contract. 

i am not seeing Adams being extended this off season, nor should he.  Next year for him.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The article is flawed.

The reason the Jets spend big in free agency is typically because they have none of their own players to pay.

The good teams/organization don’t spend wildly in FA because they draft well and have to keep their guys.  If the better organizations had the cap room to sign top FA’s they would - but they drafted too well to do so.

He didn’t say not sign good players he said not to overpay on the first day. Hopefully Douglas found good value in his free agent signings. BTW, winning teams usually are not the ones that over spend on the first day

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

as others have said, douglas needs a good draft.  imo the oline has been improved even though it's still in need of a tackle unless they think edoga can hold down one spot.  i know many are down on edoga but as i see it, it's up to him to become a better player.  the jets can get the oline depth or even a starter or two in this years draft and still have enough picks to address wr, cb, and anyone else they need.  and there are always a couple of udfa's that latch onto the nfl and possibly turn into good players.  and the big thing an oline needs is for the players to play together as a unit.  that means that signing a guy like conklin may be very good at his position but may not really improve the oline that much.

The difference between Idzik and Douglas’ approach is that Idzik was signing people who were over the hill or on their last legs...full tank mode. There was no plan or scheme fit accounted. Idzik wanted to tank until Rex was fired and then hire his own coach.

Except, he showed he didn’t know how to draft. That’s really what this all comes down to. 

For sustained success, and this approach to free agency...you have to be able to draft well consistently.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The article is flawed.

Well, that was a complete misreading of the article. Actually, Douglas is trying to sign "good" players at reasonable prices so he can sustain financial flexibility and lean more to the draft. As good teams do. You seem to be arguing for more of the same inanity that got the Jets into this mess in the first place. Which is just silly.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Douglas is already showing he has a better sense of football players than Idzik ever did. Idzik was an accountant. His similarity to Douglas is pretty much zero.

No, incorrect.  This irrational hate of idzik because he was an accountant is silly.  Douglas has not had even one draft to prove himself so far so until we see the results we cannot judge.

Idzik shed bad players and contracts accumulated comp picks and did not over spend and had his set prices he would not exceed.  Looks like Douglas is the same.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The article is flawed.

No well run team should have to spend wildly in FA even if they have the money.  It is understandable and predictable that every team will have a key need that they can fill in FA, but if you are looking to repair a total disaster of a roster in FA, you are not scouting and drafting effectively.  

Also... If you are scouting and drafting effectively, you should always be looking to trade your star players (OTHER THAN THE FRANCHISE QB) when they want big money contracts AND before they decline totally.  THAT is how you save money, cap space and stock pile draft picks.  

Do this and it ensures you will always be well stocked up with quality, affordable manpower.

The fist sign for me that Douglas was not a fool was what he did in this FA period.   He didn't blow his wad like one of these assholes buying up a truckload of toilet paper at the supermarket.

VERY good sign from JD, indeed...

Now... Let see what kind of produce he picks up off the shelves at the draft.

Don't f**k this up, Joe...

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Well, that was a complete misreading of the article. Actually, Douglas is trying to sign "good" players at reasonable prices so he can sustain financial flexibility and lean more to the draft. As good teams do. You seem to be arguing for more of the same inanity that got the Jets into this mess in the first place. Which is just silly.

The better players require bigger contracts.  Heck, this article isn’t even accurate when talking about JD - He gave a back up Tackle $10mm a year. 

Everyone is trying to sign good players for reasonable prices - it’s ridiculous to claim otherwise. 

The better teams happen to have good players getting unreasonable salaries so they’re not capable of paying big money in FA.  My point was, and I stand by it, the good teams aren’t signing big time FA’s because they can’t afford to, not because they don’t want to.

50 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, incorrect.  This irrational hate of idzik because he was an accountant is silly.  Douglas has not had even one draft to prove himself so far so until we see the results we cannot judge.

Idzik shed bad players and contracts accumulated comp picks and did not over spend and had his set prices he would not exceed.  Looks like Douglas is the same.

Except he had zero ability to judge players. Which is the other half of being a GM. So, yes, correct.

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

He didn’t say not sign good players he said not to overpay on the first day. Hopefully Douglas found good value in his free agent signings. BTW, winning teams usually are not the ones that over spend on the first day

Thank you very much, I was to lazy to write a proper response.........

• Upvote 1

I like the methodical approach to free agency thus far.  Douglas is focusing on the offensive line, and in my opinion, he is far from done in this area.  He also resigned the Jets best CB from last season to a very reasonable deal.

The Jets don't need splashy, expensive players right now.  They need to build up the depth of the team, which for the past decade or so has been abysmal.

It appears that disciplined players are a focus.  The Jets have been among the league leaders in penalties the last few seasons, and that type of undisciplined play really stalls drives and takes a toll on a team.  McGovern and Fant had one penalty total called on them last season so let's hope they can keep up that type of discipline during their time here.

Build around Darnold.  Continue to build roster depth.  Focus on OL and WR in the draft.  Let's keep this train going.

• Sympathy 1

I think there's a 50% chance the Jets trade back from #11.....and I might raise that estimate in the coming weeks.

Joe D. wants a QUANTITY of very good players.  He doesn't seem to be focused on getting just a HANDFUL of excellent ones.  If you told him he'd have zero picks in the Top 25, but then 7 picks between #26 and #120, I think he'd absolutely take that, especially in this Draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

holy... if i have to read another know-it-all beat writers stroking of JD's approach to FA - i'm going seek out Covid-19... 

New GM, same sh*t from a PR standpoint. "oh my god - what a fresh take to GM'ing...

"BREAKING THE CYCLE" .....ny daily news

"MOVE OVER, ITS THE JOE SHOW".... ny globe whatever

"A NEW ERA"..... some jerk off online spread

We've done nothing but sign McGovern, and trick Poole into a 1 year re up. That's it. 

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

holy fck... if i have to read another know-it-all a$$hole beat writers stroking of JD's approach to FA - i'm going seek out Covid-19... 

New GM, same sh*t from a PR standpoint. "oh my god - what a fresh take to GM'ing...

"BREAKING THE CYCLE" .....ny daily news

"MOVE OVER, ITS THE JOE SHOW".... ny globe whatever

"A NEW ERA"..... some jerk off online spread

We've done nothing but sign McGovern, and trick Poole into a 1 year re up. That's fcking it. 

LOL "Trick Poole"