Maulet re-signed

27 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/10164/art-maulet

Jets re-signed CB Arthur Maulet to a one-year contract.

Maulet started six games for the Jets' hapless secondary last year, permitting 30/245 and a mere 9.5 yards per catch across 349 snaps in coverage. It's a team-friendly bet on the 26-year-old as he wasn't offered an original-round tender prior to the new league year.

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Mar 20, 2020, 11:07 AM ET

Great move!

FYI - The Jets app "reported" this earlier today.  I'd suggest anyone who doesn't have the app download it since they are giving some implicit validation to third party reports that they can't confirm right now.

The app isn't just for season ticket holders.

• Upvote 1

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Given the lack of pass rush, I thought Maulet, Poole, Austin, etc did a decent job last year.  Glad JD is staying with most of these guys.   They're affordable while we address other weaker areas...

All 3 of those guys are back.  Poole is the only true starter.  We all know that the Jets are in the market for a CB....or two.  Joe is looking for average starters in FA who won't break the bank.  But I increasingly think he's going to target CB much earlier in the Draft than we expect.

We've all been looking at some type of 1-2 punch of OT/WR or WR/OT in the first two rounds of the Draft.  I wouldn't be surprised if a CB sneaks in there somehow....especially if the Jets trade back from #11 into the teens.

• Sympathy 1

Our corners right now:

1. 34 - Brian Poole 5'10" 205 Florida (CB)    XXX RE-SIGNED UFA XXX   
  2. 27 - Darryl Roberts 6'0" 182 Marshall  (CB)   
  3. 21 - Nate Hairston 6'0"185 Tulane (CB)    
  4. 31 - Blessaun Austin 6'1" 198 Rutgers (CB)   
  5. 23 – Arthur Maulet 5’10” 190 Memphis (CB)      XXX RE-SIGNED RFA XXX 
  6. 35 - Kyron Brown 6'1" 195  Akron  (CB) === ERFA ===   (2019 INJURY)

Probably still looking at drafting a corner in the 1st 3 rounds and maybe signing a 2nd tier free agent - maybe 1 or 2 priority undrafted free agents.  Starting camp with about 10 CBs seems about right.

27 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This was a good move by Douglas. He played well for us last year and is a good depth piece. 

Technically, we have the starting 3 CBs(Maulet, Austin, and Poole) under contract that during our end stretch where we were winning most games they payed pretty well, though we need to get more prospects there especially in the draft.

15 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Technically, we have the starting 3 CBs(Maulet, Austin, and Poole) under contract that during our end stretch where we were winning most games they payed pretty well, though we need to get more prospects there especially in the draft.

We do, but going into next season with that group is not a smart idea in my opinion. There's injury concerns with Austin and there's not a big enough sample size with them to count on them for a full season. We should go out and sign a capable veteran like Mackensie Alexander or Prince Amukamara.

23 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Position wise I think our draft in the first 5 rounds will go:

- OT 

- WR

- EDGE / Corner

- RB

- Corner

Depending on the actual players I'd have no problem with that.

Also, I think the Joe D. might be fine with going OT in Round 2 instead of Round 1.  He may need to maneuver a bit but I'd guess his scouting acumen will lead him to find a diamond in the rough amongst guys like Lucas Niang, Prince Wanagho, Matthew Peart, etc.  There are a LOT of Day 2 Offensive Tackles out there.  I'm sure that Joe has 2 or 3 he really likes out of the 5 or 6.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I know Bless had a bad game when he got beat and then wound up in the doghouse.  Hopefully a new year and new start.

Him and Maulet are great low key signings that provide great relief and depth.

I still believe they just decided to shut down Bless to make sure he finished healthy. He was VERY solid outside a couple bad plays.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Depending on the actual players I'd have no problem with that.

Also, I think the Joe D. might be fine with going OT in Round 2 instead of Round 1.  He may need to maneuver a bit but I'd guess his scouting acumen will lead him to find a diamond in the rough amongst guys like Lucas Niang, Prince Wanagho, Matthew Peart, etc.  There are a LOT of Day 2 Offensive Tackles out there.  I'm sure that Joe has 2 or 3 he really likes out of the 5 or 6.

I’m usually really against drafting receivers in round 1. But Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs are all studs in my opinion.

Jeudy is a great route runner, excellent hands.

Lamb is an absolute animal fighting for yardage and making plays happen.

Ruggs is Tyreek Hill explosive. 

I’d be very interested in Prince or Niang in round 2 for Right Tackle. Jets seem high on Edoga. Idk why, he’s absolute dog sh*t.