JetNation 2020 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

26 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

My general thought process was that while Jeudy is the more polished WR, Ruggs’ skill set has a bigger upside.  

The drop off in potential upside is greater with Ruggs. Don’t be surprised if I double dip in the WR pool, especially now that we’ve signed a slew of interior OL guys. 

I can see me going OT, WR, OT or OT, OT, WR for the next three, depending on what’s available. 

I think this could be a very real scenario.  I agree with the Ruggs selection, plus I think Gase will be lobbying for him as well.  

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

One guy who has no real position and one guy who is a DT.  Both NY jet type players.  I would not be so sure that these guys go.  This is a league of imitation and teams just saw us pick Quinnen and him do nothing.  They have also seen us will all pro jamal being a swiss army knife and saw out offese be ranked 32nd.

Fair points, but teams have different needs. What did people think Urlacher was coming into the draft...safety, linebacker? Simmons is much the same. Kinlaw would fit great in Jacksonville. Point is, there are some teams that have already evolved into the offensive mindset that we have ignored. To their credit, they are the anti-Jets.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m weirded out by Ruggs because Alabama and because of his role in that offense. Guys that do all that short screen sh*t have a steep learning curve as pros. 

Truth but he's a freak.  

The Jeudy/Ruggs situation somewhat reminds me of OBJ/Landry at LSU.  Landry was the more steady, less athletic but polished pro style WR.  I actually liked him better than OBJ coming out because whenever I watched LSU, Landry was the go to guy.  However, folks that watched LSU more closely than I did @BroadwayJoe12 for example, were adamant OBJ was the better prospect and that he'd end up being a more dynamic big play threat in the NFL.   They were right. 

That said, I still like Jeudy.  

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dude how many times do we hear this about a prospect 

Maybe Ruggs has  a little more upside, but Jeudy is fast, tall great route runner and hands. Very little bust potential there.  That would definitely have been my pick there and I still think he is the best all-around WR in the draft.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Maybe Ruggs has  a little more upside, but Jeudy is fast, tall great route runner and hands. Very little bust potential there.  That would definitely have been my pick there and I still think he is the best all-around WR in the draft.

I’m partial to Justin Jefferson, myself. Like Jeudy, he just seems to know how to play the position and WR is such an instinctive position 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dude how many times do we hear this about a prospect 

Sure but I'm very capable of understanding when it's applicable. In Ruggs case, it's applicable.  And it's not like he didnt produce and you're going off of testing alone.  He did.  And on less than 15% target share w/ over 75% catch rate.  I think those things are projectable. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I’m partial to Justin Jefferson, myself. Like Jeudy, he just seems to know how to play the position and WR is such an instinctive position 

Funny.  Of all the tops names, Jefferson is the one I worry about the most.  Spread scheme guy, only successful out of the slot, doesnt run a ton of routes and the ones he does arent very crisp (I see a lot of banana cuts in his post/slant game). He too IMO is the 2nd best WR on this team, playing on a loaded team, riding a historic offense/QB.   I think he's got great ball skills and can make some contested catches but I think he needs scheme to get open. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure but I'm very capable of understanding when it's applicable. In Ruggs case, it's applicable.  And it's not like he didnt produce and you're going off of testing alone.  He did.  And on less than 15% target share w/ over 75% catch rate.  I think those things are projectable. 

Even that 75% suggests he wasn’t running a lot of downfield routes. I tried looking for the stats, but do you have his depth of target numbers? 

FTR, I’m not saying he isn’t going to be good, just that he makes me nervous as a prospect.

40 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Couldn’t believe Jeudy slipped to me. Thought I would have to go with the less polished Henry Ruggs.?

The Mods here were ready to pick Jeudy for the Jets if IndianaJet didn't show up this morning.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Even that 75% suggests he wasn’t running a lot of downfield routes. I tried looking for the stats, but do you have his depth of target numbers? 

FTR, I’m not saying he isn’t going to be good, just that he makes me nervous as a prospect.

I dont, he averaged 18 something per catch though, so unless he was leading the country in yac, there had to be a mix.  That said, the majority of his catches came on 1st down which could suggest you're right or possibly used a lot in the play action game. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

My general thought process was that while Jeudy is the more polished WR, Ruggs’ skill set has a bigger upside.  

The drop off in potential upside is greater with Ruggs. Don’t be surprised if I double dip in the WR pool, especially now that we’ve signed a slew of interior OL guys. 

I can see me going OT, WR, OT or OT, OT, WR for the next three, depending on what’s available. 

hahaha.  I F'in love that!  I took one Defensive player in my first mock.  I'm a big supporter o what your bringing to the party man. 

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I actually may be more nervous about the other two.  Neither is especially dominant athletically and from what I read, Jeudy ran a large portion of his routes from out of the slot.  

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I actually may be more nervous about the other two.  Neither is especially dominant athletically and from what I read, Jeudy ran a large portion of his routes from out of the slot.  

I quote myself to remind everyone that I hardly watched any college ball this year - extending my streak

• Haha 2

What I find interesting about all these WRs is that they are so much different.  It really comes down to what you are looking for, moreso than one guy being better than others.  Jeudy is the technician.  Great route runner, very low bust potential.  Ruggs is the explosive, big play guy who can take the top off the defense.  Lamb is great at the catch point, wins a lot of contested balls. 

If it is me, I am taking Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb in that order; give me the technician who runs great routes and knows how to get open.  But I certainly wouldn't complain if we did come away with Ruggs next month.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Lith said:

What I find interesting about all these WRs is that they are so much different.  It really comes down to what you are looking for, moreso than one guy being better than others.  Jeudy is the technician.  Great route runner, very low bust potential.  Ruggs is the explosive, big play guy who can take the top off the defense.  Lamb is great at the catch point, wins a lot of contested balls. 

If it is me, I am taking Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb in that order; give me the technician who runs great routes and knows how to get open.  But I certainly wouldn't complain if we did come away with Ruggs next month.

Nice.  I see it similarly, but admittedly I've wavered back and forth a bit. lately I'm all over laviska shenault.  I'm liking him more and more every day and would consider taking him over the others if I could only choose one, which will be the case lol 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

sorry, time is melting together with this isolation thing... and now i put Dcat on the clock 30 secs after he logged off.

Sigh. 

Probalby the slowest start to a draft that I can remember.  And I thought we would move quickly with everybody stuck at home. 

Anyway, lets give Dcat some time to check back in.  Given the amount of time that he spends helping run this thing, he has earned the right for us to be felxible.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Probalby the slowest start to a draft that I can remember.  And I thought we would move quickly with everybody stuck at home. 

Anyway, lets give Dcat some time to check back in.  Given the amount of time that he spends helping run this thing, he has earned the right for us to be felxible.

That goes for the other three of you, also.?

• Sympathy 1