Outside Zone Scheme

BCJet

I hate zone blocking schemes.  I feel it is very nice for the running game (lots of evidence of this from the Denver days) but potentially awful in the passing game in an ever increasing passing league.

Just way more free paths to the QB in a scheme that relies almost totally on perfect communication between olineman.  Also good Dcoordinators will bust the zone scheme by doing things like Rex did, overloading one area of the line.

I see lots of 'I thought you had him....no I thought you had him' at the end of plays after the QB has been destroyed.

I far prefer the good old, old school method of block the guy in front of you or at least make him go around you or through you.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I hate zone blocking schemes.  I feel it is very nice for the running game (lots of evidence of this from the Denver days) but potentially awful in the passing game in an ever increasing passing league.

Just way more free paths to the QB in a scheme that relies almost totally on perfect communication between olineman.  Also good Dcoordinators will bust the zone scheme by doing things like Rex did, overloading one area of the line.

I see lots of 'I thought you had him....no I thought you had him' at the end of plays after the QB has been destroyed.

I far prefer the good old, old school method of block the guy in front of you or at least make him go around you or through you.

I agree, but...

It may be the ZBS works better in passing downs when you have a mobile quarterback who can move around with the pocket and throw well on the run.  We may just happen to have one of those so maybe...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I agree, but...

It may be the ZBS works better in passing downs when you have a mobile quarterback who can move around with the pocket and throw well on the run.  We may just happen to have one of those so maybe...

This is true but the full 1st 2/3 of last year, Darnold was not moving or given the freedom to move.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

How is that any different when teams start stunting?  The DE slants in and the tackle looks around.  The tackle takes on the DE and the G is swiveling his head.  2 seconds later they are helping the QB up saying "I thought you had him." 

• Upvote 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

How is that any different when teams start stunting?  The DE slants in and the tackle looks around.  The tackle takes on the DE and the G is swiveling his head.  2 seconds later they are helping the QB up saying "I thought you had him." 

You simply see blown assignments way more with a zone scheme.  I'll stick by that from my observation of the scheme.  You have two guys blocking air.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

You simply see blown assignments way more with a zone scheme.  I'll stick by that from my observation of the scheme.  You have two guys blocking air.

Maybe, but literally every team runs some ZBS.  Like with DBs, nobody runs straight man.  IMO, the key is getting guys that fit the scheme and aren't idiots. Hopefully that is what they are doing.  Usually, you can get bargains in guys that fit that system better, but like the 3-4, when everybody is doing it, the bargains dry up.  That is whey NTs and 3/4DEs started costing.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is true but the full 1st 2/3 of last year, Darnold was not moving or given the freedom to move.

Which is truly bizarre.  Taking what Darnold does best away from him seemed to be one of the things that makes me believe Gase really doesn’t know what he’s doing.  Like he was trying to turn Sam into Peyton.    

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This was most likely because they thought his spleen may still have been vulnerable.  Remember the play where he had wide open field in front of him to run for a first down and instead threw (and completed) a tight-window pass down the field instead?  I think we’ll see a return to the more mobile Sam this season.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Well I also object to going overboard with getting guys to fit the system instead of the best football players.

I agree that going after players to fit a certain scheme is very dangerous unless you have a coach like Payton or Harbough who you know isnt going anywhere for 4/5 years.  And your comment about assignments and pass protection is valid - but I do think that for a QB with Darnold's mobility, this will lead to some real opportunities to avoid the rush and make a play down the field.

• Upvote 1

Every team in the NFL runs the zones. But not every team gap blocks. Some teams make zone blocking more of a stample while others mix it up. 

I prefer gap blocking scheme. This is what the Jets used with Greene and Jones. Love how the Steelers used it with Bell as they hit the OL would hit the combination block before working up to the next level.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Every team in the NFL runs the zones. But not every team gap blocks. Some teams make zone blocking more of a stample while others mix it up. 

I prefer gap blocking scheme. This is what the Jets used with Greene and Jones. Love how the Steelers used it with Bell as they hit the OL would hit the combination block before working up to the next level.

Good video.  I thought the most interesting part was in the first few minutes when he focused on the wider OL splits.  Thats likely what Gase is referring to for our OL in 2020