AFC East Pecking Order, 2020 Opening Day

Seems everybody is on Buffalo's jock, Pats are a way behind them, Miami is rising fast, Jets have Darnold so they have a shot.

The division does seem as wide open as it's been in a long time. I could see easily any team winning the division. As for my favorite: heart will always say the Jets are winning it all every year. My head, one thing I haven't heard those semi anointing the Josh Allen-led Bills over the rest of divison mention - and it brings me no joy saying it:

Umm, there's a certain Belicheat aka arguably the GOAT (cheating) head coach still running things in New England. Who went 11-5 without Brady in 2008, something like 4-0 when Brady was suspended for Deflategate. Who will size up the remaining veteran QB market, add a Newton, Dalton or some such at a highly affordable rate, and perhaps have a decent if not great QB situation this season be it the vet or Stidham. Who since 2000 except for like two seasons has always had his team either winning the AFC East, in the playoffs, AFC title games and/or Super Bowls. Sure Brady was the key common player denominator throughout, but it was only in 2007 and after the Pats became the Brady-led Pats - before that his stats weren't that special, and they won as much with great complimentary team football, including at times a stifling defense. It was the Pats secondary's annual highly successful mugging of WRs and receivers (particularly in the playoffs) that was one reason the NFL changed the rules - to this current flag football era where DBs can barely lay a finger on receivers past five yards.

Until someone actually dethrones New England this season and on a regular basis, to me they are still the team to beat unfortunately. Annoyingly Belichick is that good even if my misbegotten means sometimes.

Seems every other year people write off the Pats when they lose a ton of talent in free agency, or hit a rough patch in the season. And yet every year they've firmly been in within the top 3 of the AFC and nearly always top of the division. Of course that's been with Brady at the helm. And certainly losing Brady = an offseason setback unlike the Pats have experienced under Belichick. But Belichick's NE history pretty much dictates that between now and opening day, he'll be fielding a team favored by plenty of wise, chastened NFL minds to win the division yet again, Brady or not. Not least despite free agent losses, no doubt the defensive mastermind that Belichick is will have his 2020 defense humming. A good defense still remains a major equalizer.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Testaverde98 said:

Buffalo if you're being intellectually honest is the favorite by far imho.

There roster at every level is loaded. Yes there qb is extremely talented and the real deal...

Josh Allen stinks. And at the end of the day, thats all that matters.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Lol, Warriors reference.

Warriors.....come out and playayah

Walter Hill is one of my favorite all time directors.  Most people can't stop quoting that movie.  But it's one of only many great films he was a part of.  He produced and co-scripted the Alien series and adapted The Getaway with Steve McQueen.  Directed Hard Times, Extreme Prejudice, Crossroads, The Driver and 48 Hours.  Also helped create the series Deadwood.  He is all over American culture.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

Walter Hill is one of my favorite all time directors.  Most people can't stop quoting that movie.  But it's one of only many great films he was a part of.  He produced and co-scripted the Alien series and adapted The Getaway with Steve McQueen.  Directed Hard Times, Extreme Prejudice, Crossroads, The Driver and 48 Hours.  Also helped create the series Deadwood.  He is all over American culture.

Al Swearengen is a brilliant character

6 minutes ago, Testaverde98 said:

Hes never won anything outside brady...  he is below .500

Hes a good defensive mind but he lucked out with tom

Outside of Brady, he was 11-5 with Cassel and 2-2 with a rookie Jacoby Brisket. What he did 25 years ago with Browns isn’t even relative. I’d love to see them crash and burn but I don’t think BB will let it happen that easy, that quick. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, SAR I said:

10-6 Jets
8-8 Pats
7-9 Bills
5-11 Fins

SAR I

Certainly possible...

I think the Bills wont be nearly as good as people think - RB’s disguising as QB’s get figured out eventually.

but we have no idea who the Pats QB is going to be, and until someone beats them they’re still the favorite in my eyes.

With that said, Give Sam time (and it looks like we’re focused on that) and he’s an all-pro.  I love his skill-set.  The biggest worry with the Jets offense, IMO, is Gase.  He’s a terrible football coach, but I think Sam is good enough to cover up Gase’s flaws.  Jets can for sure win 10 games.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Certainly possible...

I think the Bills wont be nearly as good as people think - RB’s disguising at QB’s get figured out eventually.

but we have no idea who the Pats QB is going to be, and until someone beats them they’re still the favorite in my eyes.

With that said, Give Sam time (and it looks like we’re focused on that) and he’s an all-pro.  I love his skill-set.  The biggest worry with the Jets offense, IMO, is Gase.  He’s a terrible football coach, but I think Sam is good enough to cover up Gase’s flaws.  Jets can for sure win 10 games.

Still need to get him weapons. Protecting him is a great step. But he needs skill players. Right now you have crowder, a hurt enunwa, Herndon who didn’t see the field, and bell who gase can’t plan for. He needs a stud wr.

4 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Still need to get him weapons. Protecting him is a great step. But he needs skill players. Right now you have crowder, a hurt enunwa, Herndon who didn’t see the field, and bell who gase can’t plan for. He needs a stud wr.

I’m not sure about that.

Herdon, Griffin, Crowder, Bell out of the backfield and you have to bring back Robby..

plus a 2nd or 3rd round WR...Sam has time that’s all he really needs to be effective.

Enunwa is done, very unlikely he’s on the opening day roster.

15 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

Outside of Brady, he was 11-5 with Cassel and 2-2 with a rookie Jacoby Brisket. What he did 25 years ago with Browns isn’t even relative. I’d love to see them crash and burn but I don’t think BB will let it happen that easy, that quick. 

11-5 with a 16-0 roster. Outside tht he had 1 winning season in 5 yrs at Cleveland and a losing season with the 2000 pats/ Bledsoe  ... yes it matters

44 minutes ago, section314 said:

Tell you what SAR.....this is really turning into a tough division from top to bottom. Hope you and the family are safe.

Thank you for the well-wishes; same back to you and yours.

The division isn't going to be tough for us.  If watching the best QB in our division up close for the last 20 years has taught us anything, it's that elite quarterback play is the difference maker.  No, Darnold is not Brady.  But he doesn't need to be because the Bills, Pats, and Fins aren't the '85 Bears or '89 Niners.  It's a pedestrian division, and I'll take my chances with Sam Darnold and Gregg Williams over anything else anyone can throw at us.

It's going to be an annoying 6 months of "Here come the Bills!" hype and "Patriots aren't done!" narratives.  Ignore it all.  The Jets are the best team in the AFC East.

SAR I

40 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

Still the Pats division. They just need a half decent QB, unfortunately. Bill knows what changes are needed and he makes them. 

No Brady magic, no Patriots mystique.

Yankees without the Core Four.  Dolphins without Marino.  Bills without Kelly.  Colts without Manning. 

We saw a sneak peak of this last season-  after Thanksgiving, the Patriots went 2-4.  That's what the Patriots are without Brady.

SAR I

25 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I don’t know how much football you’ve watched but 58% completion percentage isn’t typically associated with top tier QB’s LOL

Can you give me Brett Favre or John Elway or cam newton's career comp %?

When I see us jets fans act insecure about darnold its honestly pathetic and sad. You can love darnold and acknowledge other teams have a good player. 

I get they are compared and if Allen  becomes a elway type qb its derivative towards us jets fans but seriously it's gotta stop.

They are both fantastic young QBs with work to do. Not sure why its so hard to admit

• Thumb Down 1

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Certainly possible...

I think the Bills wont be nearly as good as people think - RB’s disguising as QB’s get figured out eventually.

Agreed on the Bills.  No matter what QB the Pats throw out there, he's not going to be Tom Brady, and they don't have any playmakers to take an Andy Dalton dump-off and make big plays.  Their D will be good, but their O won't score.

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Give Gase a chance.  Like him or hate him, 6-2 was impressive, the players responding to him is impressive, no coaches bolting Florham Park is impressive.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, edscuba said:

Hey Sar 1. When was the last time you picked JETS to win division?

2019, and depending on your perspective I wasn't far off.  Prior to that, the last time I picked the Jets to take the division was 2000.

SAR I

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agreed on the Bills.  No matter what QB the Pats throw out there, he's not going to be Tom Brady, and they don't have any playmakers to take an Andy Dalton dump-off and make big plays.  Their D will be good, but their O won't score.

Give Gase a chance.  Like him or hate him, 6-2 was impressive, the players responding to him is impressive, no coaches bolting Florham Park is impressive.

SAR I

I'm praying we get beckton & sign Peters for 1 year. Can you imagine bell running behind this line

Peters/ Beachum- resigned 

Van Roten/ Harrison

McGovern / Andrews 

Bredeson */ Lewis 

Beckton */ Edoga

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The Jets are the best team in the AFC East.

SAR I

Even if you think Darnold is ahead Allen, it't not by much. 
Then when you look the Bills roster compared to the Jets...............

RB Singletary vs Bell -> Jets
WR 1 Diggs vs Crowder -> Bills
WR 2 Brown vs Enunwa -> Bills
WR 3 Beasley vs Smith -> Bills
TE Knox vs Herndon -> Jets
LT Dawkins vs Fant -> Bills
LG Spain vs Lewis -> Bills
C Morse vs McGovern -> Bills
RG Feliciano vs Roten -> Jets but this can go either way.
RT Ford vs Edoga -> Bills

The Bills defense as a whole is better than the Jets.
The Bills also have better coaches.
I don't think any of those are up for debate.

I still think it's the Pats division to lose. They are likely going to get Jameis, Dalton or Cam on the cheap.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Certainly possible...

I guess John Elway was a rb... more insecurities 

Darnold is good man. There's no need to do this lol

2 minutes ago, hamat711 said:
Even if you think Darnold is ahead Allen, it't not by much. 
Then when you look the Bills roster compared to the Jets...............

RB Singletary vs Bell -> Jets
WR 1 Diggs vs Crowder -> Bills
WR 2 Brown vs Enunwa -> Bills
WR 3 Beasley vs Smith -> Bills
TE Knox vs Herndon -> Jets
LT Dawkins vs Fant -> Bills
LG Spain vs Lewis -> Bills
C Morse vs McGovern -> Bills
RG Feliciano vs Roten -> Jets but this can go either way.
RT Ford vs Edoga -> Bills

The Bills defense as a whole is better than the Jets.
The Bills also have better coaches.
I don't think any of those are up for debate.

I still think it's the Pats division to lose. They are likely going to get Jameis, Dalton or Cam on the cheap.

The Pat's are gonna roll with stidham, who looked really solid as a rookie. Then draft new tes and more defense.  If stidham is just avg they will be a pain but not a playoff team 

56 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Wait. Time out. 

Did you seriously just compare Josh Allen to John Elway? 

I just didn't many scouts did coming out.

Both had major scouting outlets predicting #1 overall pick for 2 years not just one.

Both were notable pitching prospects in hs.

Both were on bad college teams and carried their teams

Both are extremely mobile 

Both are known for ridiculous arm strength and arm talent 

Both are great off schedule 

Both have a clutch gene

Both are from California 

Both had to be coached out of hero ball... 

I can go on if you want. Outside of darnold he was my 2nd choice. 

4 minutes ago, Testaverde98 said:

I just didn't many scouts did coming out.

Both had major scouting outlets predicting #1 overall pick for 2 years not just one.

Both were notable pitching prospects in hs.

Both were on bad college teams and carried their teams

Both are extremely mobile 

Both are known for ridiculous arm strength and arm talent 

Both are great off schedule 

Both have a clutch gene

Both are from California 

Both had to be coached out of hero ball... 

I can go on if you want. Outside of darnold he was my 2nd choice. 

Okay, I take it back, you got me.  Josh Allen and John Elway are the same talent level and should continue to be compared to each other.   Pretty much the same guy. 

9 hours ago, Testaverde98 said:

Can you give me Brett Favre or John Elway or cam newton's career comp %?

When I see us jets fans act insecure about darnold its honestly pathetic and sad. You can love darnold and acknowledge other teams have a good player. 

I get they are compared and if Allen  becomes a elway type qb its derivative towards us jets fans but seriously it's gotta stop.

They are both fantastic young QBs with work to do. Not sure why its so hard to admit

please get off your soapbox until you can make a legit argument. I love fans who state things as a matter of fact...when it isn’t.

Favre and Elway played in a completely different era, and even then Favre had a higher completion percentage then Allen. Newton has had 1 great year, largely hasn’t won anything, and is about to be unemployed at 30.

I’ve followed Allen since Wyoming, in fact for 2 years leading up to the draft. He has never been and will never be an accurate passer. You can make the “athlete” argument, but i would argue he isn’t enough of an “athlete” to overcome the fact that he simply isn’t good enough as a passer...and those guys don't last anyways due to injuries.

Give me another modern ERA QB who has sustained success passing below 60%. Ill wait.

• Upvote 1