Jet Get Van Roten

SR24

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, genot said:

We could get Claypool possibly with our 1st 3rd round pick. Or Pittman. Jefferson still might be available to us in the second Rd. Claypool has the chance to be just as impactful as any of the top receivers talked about. His interviews will be key. He's still a work in progress as a route runner. The wild card in all this is Robby. can we sign him back????

Jefferson is a beast! He’ll definitely be a first round pick. It’d be nice if Jets can trade up from their 2nd round pick to snag him

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

With the way douglas is focused on sparq score and pure athleticism, i doubt he’s drafting Jeudy.  Maybe lamb.  But I’m not sold that Ruggs can’t be the next tyreke hill.  I do think the jets would draft lamb over Jeudy.

Where do you get that?  Everything I have read about Douglas says he focuses on production over athleticism.  Lamb and Jeudy are both fairly low on the athleticism scale.  

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Wow!!!! I’m surprised, to say the least...

Cooler heads prevailed I guess, and I couldn’t be happier.

Hes a great kid, a Long Island boy who is a big Jets fan. Nice to see he came home.

JD has actually done a good job so far.  Not sexy but he is definitely not “tanking”.  

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Spot on.   Fant has the athleticism to play LT

The guy they get at 11 will compete with and hopefully beat out Edoga for RT.   Edoga started strong last year but seemed slower later in the year.   Maybe a years experience and strengthening will do him good

Hoping Fant comes into camp 15 pounds of muscle heavier w/o losing that athleticism. Having Lewis to his rt. will be helpful if they get time to gel in camp. Hoping TC isn’t shortened due to Covid-19. Our new line needs time together 

The pattern of signing OL who do not commit penalties continues.  If nothing else, we should at least expect to have a disciplined OLine.  

I think you nailed it! This point can not be under-stated. How many drive killers did we have last year (and the year before)?? As bad as our line was, the one time they actually gave Sam maybe 2 seconds to make a play, it was called back for holding or some other stupid penalty.
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The pattern of signing OL who do not commit penalties continues.  If nothing else, we should at least expect to have a disciplined OLine.  

They also all seem to have a nasty streak and play to a millisecond after the whistle - 

no more 3rd down and 4’s, penalty - 3rd and 14

• Upvote 1

Bold prediction: A large group of people that had never even heard of Fant or this guy prior to this week will now spend the entire summer yelling at us about how awesome they are and how Douglas is the man for getting them.

Sir, I believe there was a large contingent of fans begging to sign Graham Glasgow, a name they hadn’t heard of prior to late January, then whined incessantly when he went elsewhere.

Whether these signings work out or not, it’s been more of an attempt to fix the Offensive Line than we’d seen the prior 5 years. So I’d say that’s a positive.

None of it matters if the draft doesn’t go well. But that was true regardless.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Can RG and LG play either spot easily? Noticed Van Roten played all snaps at LG. 

LG is supposedly more important, Lewis played there last year when he was in. Van Roten is better so expect him at LG

Wouldnt it be something to get some low end draft capital for Winters.  Maybe if another teams guard goes down in camp

15 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hoping Fant comes into camp 15 pounds of muscle heavier w/o losing that athleticism. Having Lewis to his rt. will be helpful if they get time to gel in camp. Hoping TC isn’t shortened due to Covid-19. Our new line needs time together 

Major point!!!!!

This OL may have 5 guys who have never played together before on opening day.  The OTA's, where the new guys get a feel for the team, are gone.  The new contract seems to cut down again on practice in camp.

Going to be very interesting how the NFL deals with opening day

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Major point!!!!!

This OL may have 5 guys who have never played together before on opening day.  The OTA's, where the new guys get a feel for the team, are gone.  The new contract seems to cut down again on practice in camp.

July 1st I think we will be back to normal 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Soo, I guess he isnt a big baby  as was reported here. Good. This offseason is actually making sense. 

McGovern, Fant, Lewis, Van Roten. Not bad so far. 

He’s no baby, my friend. He got po’ed, but it looks like cooler heads prevailed, and that’s great. I doubt JD got a discount here, but all is good.

You’re gonna love this kid btw. Long Island guy, and a huge Jets fan.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

I still need the inside scoop here from @14 in Green

Maybe if we're lucky I'll hear something about Clowney and Robby and that Yannick guy getting upset about negotiations with JD also. Then we'll be in even better shape'

Seriously though, nice job by JD and Van Roten's agent working things out. I couldn't be happier things ended up like this. There's a reason these guys have their agents do the negotiating. I'm sure Van Roten is ecstatic he's back home playing for his favorite team.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, SR24 said:

Go get Trent Williams and draft CeeDee at 11 

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Honestly, this would make a lot of sense to me 

I don't know about this.  Right now I'm thinking that we don't want to be trading picks for anyone....even Trent Williams.  Why not just sign Jason Peters to a 1-2 year deal?  That would give the Jets supreme flexibility in the Draft.  If a Tier 1 zone-blocking OT isn't there at a #11 (like Wills or Wirfs) then go WR and come back in Round 2 with Josh Jones, Lucas Niang or Matthew Peart at OT maybe.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

If the jets trade for Trent, then the 11 pick becomes a wr and frankly i think it’s Ruggs.  We’re going for speed.

As much as I don't really want to go after Trent Williams, if they do that they could pivot from RA and use his money on Trent Williams which free's up the #11 pick to be a WR like you said. If we do that and take Ruggs I would be disappointed. Jeudy and lamb are almost certain to be true #1 WR's. Ruggs is still 6' but he's small 6' in stature at 190 lbs.  I could be wrong but I wouldn't be able to pass Jeudy for Ruggs. 

The point is we have options I suppose. let's take a look at these two options. 

op 1: Robby, Andrew Thomas or other left Tackle #11, WR 2nd rd 

op 2: Trent Williams for a 3rd, Henry Ruggs and a T in the second. Price Tega Wonoghu or Ezra Cleveland maybe. 

option 1  seems more rock solid with less risk imo.  Same tier of money spent for RA or TW for arguments sake with TW being a bit higher. Andrew Thomas being a pro ready stud T who is young and maybe laviska Shenault in the 2nd. And we retain the 3rd rd pick. Good batch of players there. 

option 2 has more boom or bust potential. Trent hasn't played a full season in 5 years, but getting a dominant left tackle for a 3rd is a steal. Plus he's old and disgruntled. Ruggs is the fastest man coming into the league this year,  but that doesn't always translate to the nfl. Its a risk to pass Jeudy and lamb to choose him with such a high pick.  Waiting until the 2nd for a T is very risky also with the pro ready talent level dropping off after Jones imo. If Trent gets hurt like he usually does, depending on one of the 2nd rd tackles is much more risky than the top 5 in this draft. But if you could grab a legit left tackle in the 2nd that would be amazing. 

So, I'm more comfortable with option 1 as it seems safer and we keep the 3rd rd pick. But if option 2 could work out it would be really great work to put that together. 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Major point!!!!!

The good news is that they're all veterans and they all seem to play the same type of style and system in terms of zone-blocking schemes.  I think Van Roten, McGovern, Lewis can gel quickly.....certainly more easily than rookies would.

Also...haven't seen anyone mention this before but Alex Lewis has some experience at RT from his time in Baltimore as I understand it.  That's something to keep an eye on, especially with the addition of Josh Andrews.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1