Matt Schaub = AJ Feeley

Smizzy

It's a possibility. I don't think anyone can make a truly informed opinion on his extremely limited body of work. Truth is AJ Feeley showed alot more in his limited time in pHI than Schaub has so far. Shaub was totued alot higher than Feely ever was coming out of college so I will have to give him at least a little benefit of the doubt.

Feeley was mediocre at best in college. Schaub was a 2nd round value when he came out of college, but since QBs are rarely drafted in round 2, he slipped another round. He was a good college quarterback, and he's got the tools to be a starter. I really like him as a quarterback.

I completely agree and I actually made this comparison a few days ago in a Schaub thread. Like Boozer said, Feeley had actually done more at the NFL level before he was traded to Miami than Schaub has done at this point. I just think his numbers benefit so much from the amount of talent surrounding him on offense that Michael Vick can't utilize. We should not make the mistake of giving up what is basically a first round pick for a guy that only gets so much hype because Michael Vick sucks so much. Sure, Schaub is lights out in the preseason, but so was Ryan Leaf.

I think Shaub is better.....

If I'm not mistaken (and I might be), Feeley was/is one of the few career college backup QB's to make the NFL.....Brad Johnson is another (Backed up Casey Weldon his whole career).

I think feely backed up Akili Smith and Danny O'Neill and just about everyone else at Oregon.

Look at Heath Miller's college stats before and after Schaub -- night and day. He's a good, traditional QB prospect.

Atlanta is the ulimate bind, having to trade a prospect like this in order to keep the least accuarate QB in the NFL since 2001 (Vick)....

If that's not bad enough, Vick is the highest paid player in the NFL.

Feeley was mediocre at best in college. Schaub was a 2nd round value when he came out of college, but since QBs are rarely drafted in round 2, he slipped another round. He was a good college quarterback, and he's got the tools to be a starter. I really like him as a quarterback.

AGREED! He will be a winner! JUSTIN MILLER touts him very highly after playing against him in college.

I completely agree and I actually made this comparison a few days ago in a Schaub thread. Like Boozer said, Feeley had actually done more at the NFL level before he was traded to Miami than Schaub has done at this point. I just think his numbers benefit so much from the amount of talent surrounding him on offense that Michael Vick can't utilize. We should not make the mistake of giving up what is basically a first round pick for a guy that only gets so much hype because Michael Vick sucks so much. Sure, Schaub is lights out in the preseason, but so was Ryan Leaf.

You and I will agree to disagree. I like Schaub, from what little I saw, but from what I've heard others say about him, what's not to like?

You can always qualify a QB on the line that protects him; the talent surrounding him, the circumstances involved (blowout, preseason, dome, etc).

With QB's there is no foolproof design. Some have shown little early on, only to explode and make Pro Bowl after Pro Bowl. Others show a lot, then dissapoint.

What I've heard about Schaub is that he shows poise in the pocket, makes quick reads and has good footwork and a nice arm. I also heard Simms, Michaels, Esiason, Theismann, Chris Landry and others say very favorable things about him. To a man, they all think he will become an excellent NFL starter, just not in Atlanta.

I think Schaub is a better option than drafting a QB at #4, plus the added investment of time and money. THAT is a higher risk than parting with the #35.

Other than Schaub, what other option do we have? Croyle? You're in love with him, but who's to say that he will do well? He would have less experience, and possibly require more time and money, with no guarantee. The other thing is, he may not even be available once we're ready to draft. It would be nice, but I doubt Mangini and Co enter the draft without a clear cut option.

Imho, it comes down to which road has less risk. Schaub is the choice. he has less risk and stands to give me more immediate return.

Oh, btw, it is not a given that we'd have to part with the #35 to acquire Schaub. They need a pass rusher. Trade Abe and get Schaub and their #15. Possible? Maybe. There are other scenarios.

It all comes down to scouting and how Mangini and Co. project their qb targets.

how about comparing him to hasselback who also didn't get a chance to start until being traded. it will probably also take schaub a few years to get the jets to the super bowl but he certainly has a better chance to do it than kerry collins or bollywood.

Prospect Profiles

Matt Schaub

Position: Quarterback

College: Virginia

Height: 6-5

Weight: 237

Hometown: West Chester, Pa.

Analysis | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW

Classic pocket passer who is the proud owner of every major passing record in school history

The analysis of Schaub reminds me a little of Pennington with a little stronger arm. :confused:

Schaub is a lot bigger and stronger. Besides, is a healthy Pennington a bad thing? Pennington before the two shoulder surgeries was considered the franchise QB.

Schaub is a lot bigger and stronger. Besides, is a healthy Pennington a bad thing? Pennington before the two shoulder surgeries was considered the franchise QB.

Not a bad thing at all, I'm still hoping for a miracle and hoping we don't need to get a Schaub.

What I've heard about Schaub is that he shows poise in the pocket, makes quick reads and has good footwork and a nice arm. I also heard Simms, Michaels, Esiason, Theismann, Chris Landry and others say very favorable things about him. To a man, they all think he will become an excellent NFL starter, just not in Atlanta.

After seeing him play for Virginia, this is spot on. Schaub is a very good football player. He was the glue for the Virginia teams when he was playing - Miller got all of the hype, Schaub just won games for them with his arm and smarts. I'd take'm in a heartbeat.

After seeing him play for Virginia, this is spot on. Schaub is a very good football player. He was the glue for the Virginia teams when he was playing - Miller got all of the hype, Schaub just won games for them with his arm and smarts. I'd take'm in a heartbeat.

I thought I'd add this tidbit to the Schaub stuff.

I was on my way into work this morning, and I heard Sid Rosenberg talk about the options Miami has at QB. On que, he mentions a conversation he had with Giants GM Ernie Accorsi. Two years ago, before the draft, aside from Eli Manning, Big Ben(yeah I took the easy way out), and Phillip Rivers, which other QB did he like.

Matt Schaub.

Accorsi loves the kid and think he will be an excellent starter for years.

Now, If Al Michaels, Phil Simms, Boomer Esiason, Ernie Accorsi, and others see the potential in this kid, you can bet your ass that Nick Saban and others notice.

Play around and lose this kid to Saban.

Archived