Jason Peters???

KRL

On 3/23/2020 at 11:07 AM, CanadienJetsFan said:

offer him a coaching job.

if you want a vet , bring Beachum back.

lol  Well played. 

But Peters is still better than Beachum and there's the fact that Beachum doesn't want to play here if he can avoid it.

Make no mistake. Peters is an upgrade over Beachum. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Sorry for interrupting but Conklins cap hit is $8 mil. But I get your point Joe did a good job of not overpaying for fridge or reliable role players.

I was talking about 2020 overall cap hit. 

The former Titans offensive lineman will earn $30 million guaranteed, per Schefter. He is reportedly slated to earn $20 million in 2020. 

7 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

lol  Well played. 

But Peters is still better than Beachum and there's the fact that Beachum doesn't want to play here if he can avoid it.

Make no mistake. Peters is an upgrade over Beachum. 

Beachum will not be our LT, he stinks at run blocking, in fact he's horrible.

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2020 at 9:39 AM, RichardTodd27 said:

I wouldn't mind Peters, especially since both our tackle spots are big question marks right now.

But the guy I prefer is Cordy Glenn. He's 30 and would be less sucestible to injury than the 38 year old Peters.

why would he be less susceptible to injury?  it seems to me that the older guys who have a long history of not getting injured know how to prepare for games or just have the right genes.  it's not like they would sign him for longer than it takes to get any rookie tackle up to speed.

Sign Peters and your starting O looks like:

OL: Peters, Lewis, McGovern, AVR, Fant.  Backups are Matt Peart, Harrison, Winters, Edoga, Andrews, Barch.  Those backups are better than last year's mid-season starters.

WR: Jeudy, Perriman, Crowder.  Backups are Michael Pittman, Berrios, Doctson

QB: Darnold, Whothehellknows

TE: Herndon, Griffen, Brown

That leaves spots for CB and Edge in the draft.

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, rangerous said:

why would he be less susceptible to injury?

Just the law of averages. For the most part, 30 year olds are healthier, stronger (lighter) and less prone to injury than 40 year olds.

Personally speaking I was a different person when I was 30 compared to when I was 40 (knee & shoulder surgeries & herneated disc).

The wear and tear will eventually catch up to guys like Peters and Whitworth.

25 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Just the law of averages. For the most part, 30 year olds are healthier, stronger (lighter) and less prone to injury than 40 year olds.

Personally speaking I was a different person when I was 30 compared to when I was 40 (knee & shoulder surgeries & herneated disc).

The wear and tear will eventually catch up to guys like Peters and Whitworth.

i agree except that there are always exceptions.  it's not like bring kalil out of retirement.  and beachum is around 30 and he missed a couple of games.

I would love Peters. He will bring in some leadership and experience that our offense does not really have. This will not change our plans in the draft either and will not harm our future cap space. 

He still has something left in the tank. 

14 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I think we may be in better shape than that. Over The Cap shows us 32 million under and the only 2 deals that (I think) are missing are Perriman and Burgess

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Edit: Desir missing too

I also don't see connor Mc Govern,Arthur Mulet, Josh Andrews, Jordan Jenkins, David Fales, and Pat Onwuasor On the link you posted.

All adds up to a good bit of money.  To me it looks like under $10M left now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

I would love Peters. He will bring in some leadership and experience that our offense does not really have. This will not change our plans in the draft either and will not harm our future cap space. 

I've wanted Jason Peters ever since he entered the league as an UDFA. I thought he was going to be a great blocking TE, and have followed his career ever since.

Would love to finally see him as a Jet.

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I also don't see connor Mc Govern,Arthur Mulet, Josh Andrews, Jordan Jenkins, David Fales, and Pat Onwuasor On the link you posted.

You're right. Good eyes!

• Upvote 1

I have a feeling that Peters would want to sign with a legitimate championship contender. I'm sure JD would consider him on a one year deal, everyone else on the team is practically on a trial basis, but Peters could surely get a one year deal elsewhere...

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Saw this the other day, too.  This is before the David Fales signing (perhaps vet minimum for his contract?)

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

This is the key, if the Jets' top tackle is there at 11 then you still take him, assuming the top tackle is higher graded than any of the other players available and is a significantly higher grade than what you would get in round 2 at 48.  Don't want to have a 1 year fill-in like Peters determine the long term roster construction.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Sorry for interrupting but Conklins cap hit is $8 mil. But I get your point Joe did a good job of not overpaying for fridge or reliable role players.

Conklin got a 3 yr 42 million dollar deal with 20 million paid the first year.

theres no way his cap hit is 8 million 

35 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Conklin got a 3 yr 42 million dollar deal with 20 million paid the first year.

theres no way his cap hit is 8 million 

The Browns gave him 5 years for $42M. $5M base salary, $15M signing bonus equals the $20M he'll receive year one in cash. The $15M signing bonus is divide by the legth of the contract (5 years) and that figure along with the base salary concludes the cap hit. For this season that's $5M base + $3M for the signing bonus. After the 3rd league year of the contract, his final two years are automatically voided which is why it's reported to the media as a 3 year - $42M deal but contractually it's 5 years.

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

I was talking about 2020 overall cap hit. 

The former Titans offensive lineman will earn $30 million guaranteed, per Schefter. He is reportedly slated to earn $20 million in 2020. 

You're talking about the cash he'll earn not his cap hit. That's two different books.

32 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

The Browns gave him 5 years for $42M. $5M base salary, $15M signing bonus equals the $20M he'll receive year one in cash. The $15M signing bonus is divide by the legth of the contract (5 years) and that figure along with the base salary concludes the cap hit. For this season that's $5M base + $3M for the signing bonus. After the 3rd league year of the contract, his final two years are automatically voided which is why it's reported to the media as a 3 year - $42M deal but contractually it's 5 years.

So when they void it after 3 yrs his dead cap hit is 16 million?  One way or another that 42 million is going to hit the cap eventually.