Next Next Moves

BettyBoop

I don’t understand how posters here can’t seem to get there heads around the fact that fant is going to be a starting tackle on the jets in 2020. 

Joe D did not give him that contract to not start.  You don’t pay that kind of money to a back up.  
please, everyone stop with the crap of he ain’t starting, yes he is.  Maybe at right tackle but he will be starting. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Robby 

Jenkins

Peters

Amukamara

Dorsett

Cap off FA in that style and I feel pretty damn good heading into the draft.

I think the Jets should make a WR move - a Dorsett, a Perriman, a Higgins - to increase the pressure on Anderson to take the deal, or sign elsewhere. 

We need multiple WRs anyway, so signing a Dorsett for $4M-$5M wouldn't preclude the Jets from bringing back Anderson and/or adding a WR high in the draft.

Right now, we have Crowder and not a whole lot else.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

I think the Jets should make a WR move - a Dorsett, a Perriman, a Higgins - to increase the pressure on Anderson to take the deal, or sign elsewhere. 

We need multiple WRs anyway, so signing a Dorsett for $4M-$5M wouldn't preclude the Jets from bringing back Anderson and/or adding a WR high in the draft.

Right now, we have Crowder and not a whole lot else.

I expect us to draft two WR in the first 4-5 picks.  I mean if the big 3 OL are off the board there is a great chance Jeudy and Lamb are available 

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Robby 

Jenkins

Peters

Amukamara

Sharpe/Dorsett

Cap off FA in that style and I feel pretty damn good heading into the draft.

Entirely possible.  Let's have some fun.  Imagine if Douglas moves back to say #17-19 in round one and picks up another third rounder.  Then he selects Ruggs and Higgens in the first two rounds and then Edwards-Helaire in the third!

Track meet!

Just now, Jets723 said:

I expect us to draft two WR in the first 4-5 picks.  I mean if the big 3 OL are off the board there is a great chance Jeudy and Lamb are available 

I expect 2 WRs as well but maybe not both in the first 3 or 4 rounds.  This WR class isn't only talented, it's deep.  I'd have no problem going WR in Round 1 or 2 and then coming back in the 5th or 6th for another, more limited guy (ex. a size, hands type guy who maybe doesn't have the speed or elusiveness....think back to Quincy Enunwa's profile as a late rounder).  There will be good WR prospects still available in the very late rounds IMO.

• Upvote 1

There are about 7 OT guys that can start somewhat right away in this draft. I dont see Jason Peters signing until after the draft when a tackle needy team misses out. Same with a Trent trade. 

I was all about a 1st round swap for Yannick. But now I want JD to sign Everton Griffen and Vinny Curry on 1 or 2 year deals. 

Like others, I also want him to plug the holes at WR with Robby and Dorsett. 

I believe in Bless Austin. So, I think going into the draft with what we have at corner should be fine.

Remember, guys get cut every spring. Similar guys to those that are available now. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I expect 2 WRs as well but maybe not both in the first 3 or 4 rounds.  This WR class isn't only talented, it's deep.  I'd have no problem going WR in Round 1 or 2 and then coming back in the 5th or 6th for another, more limited guy (ex. a size, hands type guy who maybe doesn't have the speed or elusiveness....think back to Quincy Enunwa's profile as a late rounder).  There will be good WR prospects still available in the very late rounds IMO.

I agree it’s very deep.  I meant if a bigtime WR slides than it would be tough not to take another way let’s say in the 3rd round if we drafted Lamb/Jeudy already 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Entirely possible.  Let's have some fun.  Imagine if Douglas moves back to say #17-19 in round one and picks up another third rounder.  Then he selects Ruggs and Higgens in the first two rounds and then Edwards-Helaire in the third!

Track meet!

I’ve always felt the JETS should have a fast style of play. I mean, it’s criminal that other teams run the Jet Sweep and we don’t. Sounds like we are finally moving in that direction.

Robby, Ruggs and Crowder would be a handful for teams. Just blazing speed to all levels. All three are different types of players too. We also have Herndon and Bell as safety blankets. I can’t wait. 

The next signing will be one of Robby, Golden or Peters.  And I'm fine with all of em. 

Jenkins only comes back if he's not getting offers from anywhere else. He wants $10-12 mil.  I heard the Jets offered $4-5. If he can get $6 somewhere else, he's gone. 

Robby is not getting nearly the traction he thought, but he's still in the $9-11 range. 

Peters is trying to get what he can but I'm sure we are near the top of the current offers. He is a realistic get. 

Markus golden will be our next olb and will provide the same impact Jenkins has. It's a wash. 

Then.., we have Clowney and Amukamara. Those guys are both no worse than 50/50 to be Jets. But I think JD likes logan Ryan more than Prince but there is the comp equation. Prince does not count against it and Ryan does. The money for each will filter through that equation. 

Today will be a good day imo 

30 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I don’t understand how posters here can’t seem to get there heads around the fact that fant is going to be a starting tackle on the jets in 2020. 

Joe D did not give him that contract to not start.  You don’t pay that kind of money to a back up.  
please, everyone stop with the crap of he ain’t starting, yes he is.  Maybe at right tackle but he will be starting. 

Look, a backup level swing tackle shouldn't stop us from upgrading one of the most important positions to our offense in a make or break year for our QB. 

When it comes to coaching, they can careless about a player's salary.  If we were to get Trent Williams or our 11th pick was a Tackle that surprisingly played above average coming out the gate, Fant shouldn't be awarded the RT spot due to making an inflated $8.5 mil in salary. If Edoga were to outperform him for the RT spot then we should feel great that we have a reliable swing tackle in case anyone were to go down.

The addition of Fant causes us not to panic in seeking a LT either in FA market or the draft. If their isn't one at our price or draft position we can roll with him going into the season and should be fine with it.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Track meet!

If Douglas moves from #11 to #17 or below for just a third rounder, he should be sweeping floors in Target by this time next year.  I don't have a problem with moving down, but it should be worth quite a bit more than that.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Yes, but lets say you draft someone that looks good enough by some miracle of a shortened offseason to try and start them at LT. Then Fant goes to RT and we have to count on Chuma and McDermott to backup both T spots with very limited exp. Take one of the LTs on the market that are approaching 40 and will have to work for realistically at one point between 6-9M since it's that or work for $0. Then if the rookie LT needs more time they can be moved around and let the vet take that spot over for a while, or if for no other reason the vet can be a player/coach and keep themselves in the ear of the rookie T to keep them up to speed on what tod od and not do that Oline caches just won't have the time for. That alone is worth 6M+ a year since it may keep our QB from a serious injury.

People are talking about drafting 2 maybe 3 WRs, adding a WR in FA and re-signing Robby. That's insane. We're not bringing in 5 new WRs. The Jets already have Crowder, they have Berrios and V.Smith, they signed Doctson, they have some other back end bench guys and lets not forget they only carried 5 WRs on the roster last year. I would not be at all surprised if they re-signed Robby and drafted one WR early, one developmental WR late and thats it. Robby, Crowder, early draft pick, Doctson... V.Smith, Berrios, late draft pick, etc, fighting for roster spots. 

At some point there is just not enough room on the roster. You don't need to spend high draft picks on back end bench WRs, especially if Robby is brought back.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, PepPep said:

People are talking about drafting 2 maybe 3 WRs, adding a WR in FA and re-signing Robby. That's insane. We're not bringing in 5 new WRs. The Jets already have Crowder, they have Berrios and V.Smith, they signed Doctson, they have some other back end bench guys and lets not forget they only carried 5 WRs on the roster last year. I would not be at all surprised if they re-signed Robby and drafted one WR early, one developmental WR late and thats it. Robby, Crowder, early draft pick, Doctson... V.Smith, Berrios, late draft pick, etc, fighting for roster spots. 

At some point there is just not enough room on the roster. You don't need to spend high draft picks on back end bench WRs, especially if Robby is brought back.  

Yes, let’s take a RB with one of the many WR picks people are suggesting.

We need a RB that can hit a hole hard with Gase’s offense.  Go and get one with one our 3rds..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Look, a backup level swing tackle shouldn't stop us from upgrading one of the most important positions to our offense in a make or break year for our QB. 

When it comes to coaching, they can careless about a player's salary.  If we were to get Trent Williams or our 11th pick was a Tackle that surprisingly played above average coming out the gate, Fant shouldn't be awarded the RT spot due to making an inflated $8.5 mil in salary. If Edoga were to outperform him for the RT spot then we should feel great that we have a reliable swing tackle in case anyone were to go down.

The addition of Fant causes us not to panic in seeking a LT either in FA market or the draft. If their isn't one at our price or draft position we can roll with him going into the season and should be fine with it.

Again, people just don’t get it. They are not signing or trading for a Tackle.  If the draft a LT in the draft then Fant is playing RT.    He did not sign here with out being told he would start.  No one pays a back up that kind of money.  

remember, he was the first FA signed.  He is starting!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Track meet!

Yes Sam will be running track alright. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Again, people just don’t get it. They are not signing or trading for a Tackle.  If the draft a LT in the draft then Fant is playing RT.    He did not sign here with out being told he would start.  No one pays a back up that kind of money.  

remember, he was the first FA signed.  He is starting!

I think if Douglas goes into the season with Fant as a starting tackle with no backup plan (i.e., no one on the current roster) he may not last through his six year contract.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:46 AM, BettyBoop said:

While Douglas has done a good job in "beefing up" the OL and has improved the secondary, his work is far from over.  There is simply no way Douglas can go into the draft with Fant and Edoga as the starting tackles.  That is a recipe for disaster.  A bridge guy is needed (e.g., Peters, Glenn) for one year which would give Douglas the option of waiting until the second round, if one of his top OT is not there at #11, to nail his OT from this draft.  As I mentioned in another post, I really like Matt Peart who is a former hoopster and very athletic big man and very well could be available in the second round.

While some have suggested the secondary is set with Desir and Bless on the outside, that is just not the case.  Desir is certainly an upgrade over what we had last year, but his 2019 performance was not good and a fallback plan is needed.  Bless may, or may not, blossom in year two but we won't know that until the season starts (whenever that is).  Another veteran is needed before the draft.

Wide receiver needs A LOT of work.  I think it's 50-50 whether Robby resigns but even if he does, another vet is needed.  There is not doubt that Douglas will double (triple?) dip in the draft but realistically, counting on one rookie WR is enough of a gamble.  I am alone on this but I think Devin Funchess is worth a prove-it flyer.  He's big and can be a reliable release valve for Darnold.  If he can be signed for $5mm and can get you 40 catches, he's worth it.  My first choice remains Perriman.  

As for OLB, I don't see much of a difference between Jenkins and Golden.  Either will get you 6-8 sacks and should cost about the same.  I'd rather have either over Vinny Curry.  I am not in favor of signing Clowney and am resigned to the fact that a day two pick is needed at the position.

And Douglas continues to follow my plan!!!