Jets re-sign Jordan Jenkins

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

You rather have Mack? Giving up 90 mil guaranteed and two first round picks ? Or Jenkins?

Very curious

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1) never give up 2 first rounders for any defensive player. 

But yes I’d rather give Mack, $90 million when I have my QB on a rookie deal than spend any amount of cap on Jenkins.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Jenkins and Burgess are both solid players. We have a lot of solid rotational guys in the front 7 which keeps them fresh and effective. Our front was the least of our issues last year and missing the two big contract Macloser signings in Avery and Mosley. I have been very vocal that I do not believe we should pretty much ever sign a Day0/Day1 big ticket guy and JD seems to be following that philosophy. I would give him an A+ right now for FA lets hope he drafts well too.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not saying they can't.  I'm saying they won't pay for two.

This NYJ team as constructed and under this GM - it was Clowney or Jenkins.  It was never going to be both.  

There is literally no reason to think that.  Particularly since we don't even know if Jenkins got as much as Lewis.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

These are good moves and probably approved by Williams who seems to like working with Gase. If not he would have left.  I'm getting more optimistic about Adam esp after winning 6 out of our last 7. 

Gregg Williams loved being the real head coach without having to deal with all the bs. He’s the heart and soul of the coaching staff.

Did you see the sideline of the Cowboys game after the Jets were about to win? Offensive players were hanging next to Gregg and chatting it up with him in celebration. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

JD is crushing it so far.  I wonder if Robby does something similar and tries again next year when the market is better at the draft isn’t so deep in WR

If he's going to take a 1 yr. deal..... sign on with a high octane offense to improve your chance for the BIG $

Hoping he comes back on a 3 yr. $27m contract.... all guaranteed in 1st year. Easily cut if he sucks.

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

There is literally no reason to think that.  Particularly since we don't even know if Jenkins got as much as Lewis.

Sounds like we simply have to agree to disagree on this one.

And we'll never know because we're not signing Clowney.  But you might be right,  we may be willing to, just not at whatever price he ends up getting.

I just think in JD's plan - he wasn't going to pay both.  

If we do sign him I would be very happy to eat crow - I am one of the few around here that wants him. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Good (but not great) starter.  Jenkins is exactly the kind of guy you need out there and who you can trust to do his job well.  He's just not a difference maker, but not everyone needs to be.  He'll be paid for what he does.

Right now we're looking at...

OLB Jenkins - ILB Mosley - ILB Williamson -*****************OLB ? **************

With backups including Neville Hewitt, James Burgess, Blake Cashman, and (I believe) Luvu, Langi and Bashem correct?

We need to upgrade that one Edge/OLB spot.  I think it comes in the Draft.

Frankie Freakin' LuVU.... that's WHO!

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

This team has Gase’s finger print all over it though. Especially on offense where it’s clear the team is being built in Gase’s image. He was also very influential in building the coaching staff.

Gregg is extremely important to the coaching staff. And I’m glad he’s on our side.  But no need to diminish Gase by saying Gregg is the real head coach.

Very influential in building the coaching staff?  They knew they were hiring Williams before Gase came on board.  He got to add his father-in-law, but c'mon.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Imagine being so starved for good EDGE play that you think Jordan Jenkins is the solution to any of it.

So I have to ask.  You talk about Edge play, and then talk about Phillips and Basham being superior.  Are you talking about pass rushing?  Because I have to imagine that's the case.  

Watching him stack and shed people or simply set a hard edge to allow scrape and contain from the inside backers is very good.  All that stuff is stuff that doesn't get talked about.  It's grit n grind type of stuff.  To say he doesn't do "anything well" is a head scratcher to me.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

So I have to ask.  You talk about Edge play, and then talk about Phillips and Basham being superior.  Are you talking about pass rushing?  Because I have to imagine that's the case.  

Watching him stack and shed people or simply set a hard edge to allow scrape and contain from the inside backers is very good.  All that stuff is stuff that doesn't get talked about.  It's grit n grind type of stuff.  To say he doesn't do "anything well" is a head scratcher to me.

He does 1 thing well. Set the edge. His sacks are almost all coverage sacks. He blitzes more than the other Edges on the roster and he has like 5 more pressures than Basham. Basham is more dynamic and played better coverage. Phillips was better defending the run. I don’t hate Jenkins but his game is so mediocre and gets credit more credit than he merits.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He does 1 thing well. Set the edge. His sacks are almost all coverage sacks. He blitzes more than the other Edges on the roster and he has like 5 more pressures than Basham. Basham is more dynamic and played better coverage. Phillips was better defending the run. I don’t hate Jenkins but his game is so mediocre and gets credit more credit than he merits.

How can he have coverage sacks when his secondary sucks?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

How can he have coverage sacks when his secondary sucks?

Coverage doesn’t suck every play. Jenkins is a zero-sum player over 16 games. He’s a role player in the league and gets value from being a good teammate. I don’t hate him being on the team, as long as he’s cheap and he doesn’t stop us from getting an impact player.