Rhg1084

Jets re-sign Jordan Jenkins

44 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I'm just happy that we got GW, I don't care how it happened.

Truth

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Him and Jenkins are both try hard types . Don’t need another one of those unless it’s for depth . We need a speed edge guy on the other side of Jenkins. 

"try hard guys"?! Setting the edge is not a "try hard" job. It's a "be the immovable wall..." against the best OL the opponents have job. The Jets employ Jenkins to play 1st and 2nd down defense, primarily. Then they employ an array of pressure packages on 3rd downs. And Jenkins got  8 sacks. Couple of multi-sack games. Playing the strong side. that isn't just "try hard" is it?

[the above is a COMPLETE OVERREACTION to Scoop24's comment]

I agree about the need for a speed rush guy. But I really only want that guy if he comes with more tricks. Williams and I can get pass rush whenever we need it. We need an every down guy who can rush the passer, play the run, and cover a TE/RB.

Jenkins earned his spot and seems to be a real "team" guy to want to stay.

• Post of the Week 1

This is awesome. Very happy to have Jenkins back. Now we need a viable pass rushing threat opposite of him, and we'll be in good shape.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Wouldn’t it be worst if they under valued themselves and got even less . Some of y’all actually act as thou the money was coming out of y’all’s bank account.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You’re on here a lot - so you clearly understand the concept of the salary cap and how important it is to building a team.

I mean this honestly and not sarcastic - because I see people write it all the time.

People don’t care about Woody’s “bank account” they care about the salary cap and building the best team possible....

Why write a statement like that?

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

So, if these are the terms of the deal...

what say you?

I gotta tell you.  I was wrong.  While I still don't think we're going to get him. 

At the price we got Jenkins we may very well still be kicking the tires on Clowney.

When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong! - Dr. Jake Housman. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, sourceworx said:

This is awesome. Very happy to have Jenkins back. Now we need a viable pass rushing threat opposite of him, and we'll be in good shape.

Clowney

On 3/23/2020 at 5:48 PM, Doggin94it said:

@Sperm Edwards i think i won this argument

well he didn't get locked up at $5MM. More of a show-me deal. Honestly I'm surprised at how little he got, but I'm in favor of this rather than more. He's fine, but he's not a special player. Just often teams see back to back respectable sack numbers (or picks for corners) and players get paid based on that even if they were just in the right place at the right time. 

No complaints here.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I gotta tell you.  I was wrong.  While I still don't think we're going to get him. 

At the price we got Jenkins we may very well still be kicking the tires on Clowney.

When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong! - Dr. Jake Housman. 

You're in good company.  So was @Sperm Edwards.   I was wrong about his value too, though I thought this would be the low end.  I figured him for $5-$8M.  I think Shane said he was asking for $12M which is bonkers to me.  I figured he'd get $8-10M somewhere because I thought that if he could be signed for $5M the Jets would have locked him up during the season. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're in good company.  So was @Sperm Edwards.   I was wrong about his value too, though I thought this would be the low end.  I figured him for $5-$8M.  I think Shane said he was asking for $12M which is bonkers to me.  I figured he'd get $8-10M somewhere because I thought that if he could be signed for $5M the Jets would have locked him up during the season. 

could be we've seen too many really bad deals being meted out by jets gm's that when there are some good ones we have misgivings. i would've thought jenkins was worth more.  and he may yet be if he has another good season.  give credit to jenkins too for believing in himself and thinking he can earn more.  imagine if trumaine or wilky had the same idea about self worth.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

could be we've seen too many really bad deals being meted out by jets gm's that when there are some good ones we have misgivings. i would've thought jenkins was worth more.  and he may yet be if he has another good season.  give credit to jenkins too for believing in himself and thinking he can earn more.  imagine if trumaine or wilky had the same idea about self worth.

Like Kirk Cousins, Trumaine Johnson was tagged twice.  He didn't hold out or cave and sign a team friendly deal.  He played out the tag and waited to be a free agent.  Wilkerson.  Same with Wilkerson.  He should ahve been extended earlier, but he refused and had a big year during his 5th year option.  He broke his leg, but the GM caved and gave him an insane deal.  Would you have the same feeling of Jenkins if he cashes next year and has a subp-par year. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Like Kirk Cousins, Trumaine Johnson was tagged twice.  He didn't hold out or cave and sign a team friendly deal.  He played out the tag and waited to be a free agent.  Wilkerson.  Same with Wilkerson.  He should ahve been extended earlier, but he refused and had a big year during his 5th year option.  He broke his leg, but the GM caved and gave him an insane deal.  Would you have the same feeling of Jenkins if he cashes next year and has a subp-par year. 

i think he would be a slug just like trumaine and wilky if he cashes in and then mails it in.  without knowing what offers he may have had it's hard to determine if he's doing the jets a favor or if he's doing himself a favor.  regardless, at the moment it sounds like a good deal and if he has a big year we'll see.

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think he would be a slug just like trumaine and wilky if he cashes in and then mails it in.  without knowing what offers he may have had it's hard to determine if he's doing the jets a favor or if he's doing himself a favor.  regardless, at the moment it sounds like a good deal and if he has a big year we'll see.

I certainly don't expect a big year.  I expect more of the same.  Which is fine.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

People don’t care about Woody’s “bank account” they care about the salary cap and building the best team possible....

Why write a statement like that?

I appreciate your argument. BUT I have to say that there DOES seem to be a 'personal' element to many of these criticisms about salary. For example, the same people who are ok with [guess who?] Brian Winters are all hard about how Leonard Williams was overpaid, even though Williams pretty much played most of the snaps he could whereas Winters was injured for much of his tenure and played like dogsh!t the rest of it. But nary a peep about the Jets wasting money on that loser.

And before you say "well, Williams was sixth in the draft and Winters was taken..." wherever he was drafted. The facts are that those limited expectations are only allowed for certain pets, not for even the average JAG the Jets employ. In other words, they're ok with wasting Woody's money and ruining the salary cap when the player profile is pleasing. And that's ok. But let's not pretend that posters' motivations are purely about the quality of the roster. It's about keeping our favorites and getting rid of those we disapprove (Jamal Adams) sometimes regardless of performance.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I thought he'd get $10MM to upwards of $12MM if there was some bidding competition. It was based on full starter status on a generally well-regarded defense, and respectable sack numbers. I didn't want the Jets to pay it, but that's what I thought he'd get in an era where Enunwa could get $9MM and Anderson was being floated around in the $12-15MM range. 

No one thinks Jenkins is/was a great pass rusher, but usually when someone presumably meh lucks into sacks it's because of lockdown-like downfield coverage (which we didn't have) and/or a serious pass rushing from another defender on the other side generating consistent pressure and drawing attention away from him. 

Stephen Weatherly - an outright backup player - got paid more. He's neither a starter nor any sort of demon situational sack artist, and sees the field on about 30% of his team's defensive snaps, probably just on passing downs. Who really thought, both of them being UFAs, if Weatherly got 2 years at $6.25MM that Jenkins wouldn't exceed that?

Hey, I'm happy to have him back as a $5MM stopgap. I don't think he's as good as many here, but this won't (or shouldn't) stop the team from seeking a replacement in the draft, nor trading for someone else, as this isn't must-start money. But if he does start and we don't re-sign him next year, we could still see a comp pick back in a year when we'd presumably be signing fewer UFAs from others.

• Upvote 1