Jets Re-Sign James Burgess

Just now, section314 said:

Bye bye Avery?

Possibly....but not so fast.

We still have injury concerns with not just Avery but with Mosley and Cashman.  I like having both Neville Hewitt and Burgess back under contract, but this is still an uncertain group if only for health reasons.  What if Mosley isn't the same player when he returns but Williamson recovers 100%?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

Maybe Douglas takes some mercy on us poor shut-ins and makes a trade or two today. 

"I hear that T0m Shane needs some entertainment.  We'll be making a trade today involving Jamal." - Joe Douglas

BREAKING NEWS:  Jets announce trade for CB Jamal Agnew of the Lions.

1031029696_ScreenShot2020-03-23at11_34_30AM.png.f211ed6839702f7c73afb73855b00140.png

:P 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Possibly....but not so fast.

We still have injury concerns with not just Avery but with Mosley and Cashman.  I like having both Neville Hewitt and Burgess back under contract, but this is still an uncertain group if only for health reasons.  What if Mosley isn't the same player when he returns but Williamson recovers 100%?

I don’t think Avery can be cut until he passes. Physical. Otherwise the Jets have to give him an injury settlement (that’s why Quincy is here).

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, JTJet said:

@GREENBEAN

I'm losing track here man lol where are we on next years comps. Helllllppppp!

We're even currently. Not too shabby while rebuilding almost the entire o line and CB positions. 

oUT

Compton

Shell

Canady

Qvale

Copeland

IN

McGovern

Fant

Van Roten

Andrews

Christian

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Unlike Enunwa, I don't think Williamson has any guaranteed money remaining, for injury or otherwise.

Exactly.  People talk about Tru's contract being a problem. 

I would argue Enunwa's is the worst we've signed. WTF??? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GeorgeJetson said:

I don’t think Avery can be cut until he passes. Physical. Otherwise the Jets have to give him an injury settlement (that’s why Quincy is here).

Good point, but I'm still not 100% sure AW gets cut.  The first question will be whether he's still a fit for what Gregg Williams wants to do....I think he is.  The second question will be what's the tradeoff between cutting him vs. keeping him (or trading him)?  If the Jets don't need to free the Cap space (and right now they don't) then why not just hold onto him and let him play out 2020.  Perhaps he becomes a piece of a Draft Day trade??  If the Jets want to save money I'd think Brian Winters is the next to go, but he may still need to pass a Physical too, right?

15 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

We're even currently. Not too shabby while rebuilding almost the entire o line and CB positions. 

oUT

Compton

Shell

Canady

Qvale

Copeland

IN

McGovern

Fant

VanNoy

Andrews

Christian

What about Burgess and Jenkins today. Doesnt that makes us -2? 

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I’m hoping there’s a trade for Williamson and not a cut. Cutting him doesn’t give us much besides cap space we’re not using.

Given he missed all of last season with a significant injury I'm not sure you'd get more than a bag of kicking tees trading him right now.  Better to hold him unless you need the cap space for a major signing or cut him with no dead money once camp starts and it's clear his play has dropped off...

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I’m hoping there’s a trade for Williamson and not a cut. Cutting him doesn’t give us much besides cap space we’re not using.

There is no way we're cutting Avery Williamson. He's a damn good player, hell there are a few guys playing very well at LB that have had ACL surgeries. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Ah ok got ya. That I didn't realize. 

The fact that we have been able to do what we have AND remain even on the comp equation is honestly amazing.  I'm confident JD is factoring that in with what he's doing.  This guy is coming out of the gate in a positive way. 

Think about it. There are FREE draft picks out there for the taking if we just place an emphasis on it.  Amazing!  Imagine that.  lol 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

The fact that we have been able to do what we have AND remain even on the comp equation is honestly amazing.  I'm confident JD is factoring that in with what he's doing.  This guy is coming out of the gate in a positive way. 

Think about it. There are FREE draft picks out there for the taking if we just place an emphasis on it.  Amazing!  Imagine that.  lol 

Indeed lol. That excites me for the future, seriously. 

Some people dont care cause they are late round, but they are basically like currency to help you move up and down on the draft, especially now that they are able to be traded. 

Isnt there a date where some our vets stop counting as losing compensatory FAs?